LOST SOLO, after ZERO issues for several years.

Reaction score
First time posting, long time reader.

Today I was flying out by the lake. I took off, went straight up, began to maneuver straight out over the lake to capture an image of a friend's house. As the SOLO moved further away from me, I lost sight of it for a few seconds. I walked toward a clearing in the trees so I could gain a better perspective. Then the controller reported that the signal was lost. That's okay, happens all the time. It typically will hover in place or return to home. I hustled down to the waterfront expecting to see it hovering there. I usually take back control once the signal has been regained. Battery was at 88% (this was maybe 25 seconds into the flight). There were no objects/obstacles to speak of. I was listening for the sound of the SOLO, but nothing. It was simply gone. Looking for any suggestions or advice on how to find it. I can only assume it went in the water. I really just want to salvage the GoPro as it is insured (SOLO is NOT). Like the title says, I have used this 100's of times over several years with little to no issues. Thanks in advance for your help!

Great, I've never had to access them. Can you point me in the right direction so I can find out how? Thanks!

First time posting, long time reader.

Today I was flying out by the lake. I took off, went straight up, began to maneuver straight out over the lake to capture an image of a friend's house. As the SOLO moved further away from me, I lost sight of it for a few seconds. I walked toward a clearing in the trees so I could gain a better perspective. Then the controller reported that the signal was lost. That's okay, happens all the time. It typically will hover in place or return to home. I hustled down to the waterfront expecting to see it hovering there. I usually take back control once the signal has been regained. Battery was at 88% (this was maybe 25 seconds into the flight). There were no objects/obstacles to speak of. I was listening for the sound of the SOLO, but nothing. It was simply gone. Looking for any suggestions or advice on how to find it. I can only assume it went in the water. I really just want to salvage the GoPro as it is insured (SOLO is NOT). Like the title says, I have used this 100's of times over several years with little to no issues. Thanks in advance for your help!

First priority is to find your Solo if you can. Copy the tlogs from the controller and use Mission Planner to locate where communication was lost with your Solo - it'll give you a starting point to look for it.

I'm afraid that if the controller did not re-acquire Solo the Tlogs won't be much help. It will just show the position and flight parameters when the link was lost.

I'm afraid that if the controller did not re-acquire Solo the Tlogs won't be much help. It will just show the position and flight parameters when the link was lost.

Wouldn't it help if there was a malfunction that caused it to fall (Solo would be located at last location), or at least to show the direction of travel and altitude before signal was lost?

The logs will be helpful if there was a mechanical failure. It will show that up to the time it "dropped below radar" so to speak.

I would try to find the last known location. Then if you can touch the bottom, just get a few people to help you and walk through that area. If you can't touch but it is shallower than 10 feet, I would get a waterproof flashlight and get underwater that way. If it is deeper than that I don't know what to do. This is my opinion.

Keep us updated on what you find and, where your bird went down, if located!

A little late now, but for future reference. Here in South Florida, flying over water is unavoidable. Do a search for 'getterback'. Designed for fishing rods, but works for drones, too! Haven't had to use it yet, but I always attach one if the planned flight is near water.

Last edited:
You mentioned at the beginning that your view of Solo was briefly blocked by trees. Is would seem very possible to me that when the signal was lost, Solo, in an effort to "Return to Home" returned toward home and collided with a tree en route. Maybe it isn't in the water at all, but caught up in the branches of a tree?

You mentioned at the beginning that your view of Solo was briefly blocked by trees. Is would seem very possible to me that when the signal was lost, Solo, in an effort to "Return to Home" returned toward home and collided with a tree en route. Maybe it isn't in the water at all, but caught up in the branches of a tree?
Something to hope for!

dammit!!! dammit!!! dammit!!! "getter back" huh, why didn't I think of that?! AWESOME idea though! definitely will use it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44