Lost Connection with Full Bars

Reaction score
I'm getting return home often even when i have 4 bars on the connection with the controller. Any ideas what's going on here? Starting to get frustrating especially when Solo is only 300 ft straight above me.

Without knowing much about your setup (hardware) and the surroundings (environmental). You might just be hitting the"Null" zone of the radiating pattern.
Solution, steer clear of this or use some different antenna designs to minimize the zone. Of course there will be trade offs for this, i.e. "distance".
upload_2017-2-4_0-45-57.png
Here is a simple illustration or the best and worst areas for flying... As you can see, flying directly over head can be most challenging. If your antennas were bent at 90 degrees upward.
As for the 4 bars- perhaps the controller was receiving this signal from some bounce or multi-pathing. Sorry I can't help more...
-have Fun.

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-4_0-42-7.png
    upload_2017-2-4_0-42-7.png
    219 KB · Views: 21
Hutch, there is a diagram in the Solo user manual (can download from the 3DR website) that explains what Air_Max is talking about, specific to Solo.

Basically if Solo is directly overhead, the controller will likely lose contact with Solo and initiate RTL. Solo needs to be "downrange" some to insure a good connection.

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback, but I think I figured it out. Even though I have been very gentle with all my equipment, never dropped anything or crashed the solo (yet) I found that the gray wifi wire leading the the antenna from the wifi card was loose. Thanks Youtube. I found out only because last night and today I couldn't get the controller to send out a wifi signal. Neither my phone, nor the solo would connect to the controller. So I took the back off and found the loose wire. I'll connect back and let you know if that was the fix. I'm sure it will be.

Reactions: Maddog
Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback, but I think I figured it out. Even though I have been very gentle with all my equipment, never dropped anything or crashed the solo (yet) I found that the gray wifi wire leading the the antenna from the wifi card was loose. Thanks Youtube. I found out only because last night and today I couldn't get the controller to send out a wifi signal. Neither my phone, nor the solo would connect to the controller. So I took the back off and found the loose wire. I'll connect back and let you know if that was the fix. I'm sure it will be.
Keep us posted- thanks for sharing the (hopeful) solution.

Maddog, I hope that's it. It wasn't just happening directly above me, sometimes I could get 2,000 feet away, no problem, then other times at 300-400 feet out it would trigger RTL, and i'd have 3-4 bars of signal. The day I posted it happened multiple times right after take off, so I had just literally gone straight up to about 300 feet. Then yesterday it wouldn't send out a wifi signal at all...nothing would connect. We'll find out for sure tomorrow.

Reactions: Maddog
That makes the best sense from all of your situations and descriptions..
What I will continue to use, and I highly recommend to everyone, is to keep a WiFi Diagnostics
App upload_2017-2-5_17-23-3.png (I use 'Overview 360') loaded on the Phone. Prior to changing phones, on many occasions I continued to get several errors given by the SOLO App, that the SOLOLink was lost, but in-fact it (controller) was still transmitting as seen by the WIFI App. In my situation the problem was not the controller but was the phone.

Loose Connector tightened up... Sounds Like Success.
- Enjoy many more flights.

Reactions: SARDG
Well, the end of my story may be very bad. I connected the loose wifi wire and got everything working again. However, today after a short flight with everything working properly i landed and put in another fully charged battery. Upon take off, I think maybe it lost GPS signal and flew wildly almost completely out of control. I got it down, but it bounced hard and flipped over into some gravel and I couldn't get it to stop spinning. Now it won't power up. The outside physical damage was really minor, but I'm afraid one of the motors or esc's is toast. one of the motors kind of "pops" when i try to turn it back on, but it never powers up. Is 3dr doing any warranty work? Afraid maybe I voided that anyway when I opened the controller. Might start selling the parts...

Send a ticket to 3DR. They will tell you exactly what happened to cause the crash, and I don't think they can tell if the controller has been opened. It is sure worth a shot. If it was a motor pod, they may just cover it. If not, try powering up Solo without the props on, and seeing what each motor pod is doing. If there is a bad one, you can get another one, and at least continue on with Solo. I wish you luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snarus