Lose video when starting record from Solo app

Reaction score
Has anybody seen this problem or know how to fix it? When I try to start recording on GoPro Hero 4 Black from the Solo app I lose my video feed and can't tell if I'm recording or not. The only workaround that I have been able to find is to press record on the camera (not easy in gimbal) before lift off, but when I land the camera is shut off and I have to go through that all over again. GoPro firmware v5.0. Thanks.

Has anybody seen this problem or know how to fix it? When I try to start recording on GoPro Hero 4 Black from the Solo app I lose my video feed and can't tell if I'm recording or not. The only workaround that I have been able to find is to press record on the camera (not easy in gimbal) before lift off, but when I land the camera is shut off and I have to go through that all over again. GoPro firmware v5.0. Thanks.
This has been a problem with the latest IOS and with a few Android devices when using higher resolutions. Try to start recording using the paddle button on the controller before starting the app.

Here are the two workarounds that I use with an iPad Mini 6. (1) After you press the Record button to start recording, immediately exit the app and restart it. The video feed will then be displayed. It's annoying to do this but it works and only takes a few moments. It does not interrupt the recording in progress. (2) Use a lower resolution. My favorite is 1080-60-Linear. Its video feed doesn't stop when Record is pressed.

I've been shooting at 1080p 120 fps, do you think reducing frame rate would have the same effect as shooting at a lower resolution? I don't really want to go lower than 1080p. Thanks.

This has been a problem with the latest IOS and with a few Android devices when using higher resolutions. Try to start recording using the paddle button on the controller before starting the app.

I've been shooting at 1080p 120 fps, do you think reducing frame rate would have the same effect as shooting at a lower resolution? I don't really want to go lower than 1080p. Thanks.
Yes, but you shouldn't have to lower either if you don't want to. Just push in on the paddle control on the back left of your controller to start recording before starting your app. This way you don't have to sacrifice how you want to record, don't have to use the record button on the camera, and don't have to start/record/stop/start your app.

Yes, but you shouldn't have to lower either if you don't want to. Just push in on the paddle control on the back left of your controller to start recording before starting your app. This way you don't have to sacrifice how you want to record, don't have to use the record button on the camera, and don't have to start/record/stop/start your app.
That sounds like a perfect solution (short of full proper function), thank you Jim.

A couple of things after reading the OP, so not discounting anyone else's advice...

Make sure auto off is not enabled on the camera
Make sure your battery is fully charged
What memory card do you have? Brand, version and capacity?

Heat is not the camera's friend and will shut down if it over heats. This can be caused by several reasons. Dead battery, slow memory card and/or issues preventing the camera to cool. And finally you could have a bad GP...

A couple of things after reading the OP, so not discounting anyone else's advice...

Make sure auto off is not enabled on the camera
Make sure your battery is fully charged
What memory card do you have? Brand, version and capacity?

Heat is not the camera's friend and will shut down if it over heats. This can be caused by several reasons. Dead battery, slow memory card and/or issues preventing the camera to cool. And finally you could have a bad GP...

My GoPro works just fine both in and out of the Solo, the problem is that I lose the HDMI video feed if I try to control recording from the app and have to fly blind, and I really can’t tell if the camera is recording or not until I land and review shots. 64GB SanDisk Extreme card, battery is fairly new and holds charge well.

Even if you've lost video, the app should still control the camera functions and provide feedback to same. But like you said, the camera shuts off...and still the app should provide feedback that the camera is off by the controls being grayed out.

The gimbal's data/control cable is the source for power to both the gimbal and camera. I assume the camera on/off is a (mav) command rather than a simple switch. So that doesn't make much sense why the camera shuts off when recording is started.

I still believe it is a camera related issue, but who knows... Trouble shooting faulty/crashed gimbals is a pita. Having one go bad for no reason is likely much worse. I don't envy your efforts.

Best of luck to a resolve.

Even if you've lost video, the app should still control the camera functions and provide feedback to same. But like you said, the camera shuts off...and still the app should provide feedback that the camera is off by the controls being grayed out.

The gimbal's data/control cable is the source for power to both the gimbal and camera. I assume the camera on/off is a (mav) command rather than a simple switch. So that doesn't make much sense why the camera shuts off when recording is started.

I still believe it is a camera related issue, but who knows... Trouble shooting faulty/crashed gimbals is a pita. Having one go bad for no reason is likely much worse. I don't envy your efforts.

Best of luck to a resolve.

I don't think I ever said the camera was shutting off (this happens only when the Solo lands, which I don't have a problem with), the problem is loss of video feed and inability to control recording from the app. I did have hard landing last year that caused the Solo to flip and after that I had to reseat the internal HDMI cable, but the cable hasn't been an issue since.

I don't think I ever said the camera was shutting off (this happens only when the Solo lands, which I don't have a problem with), the problem is loss of video feed and inability to control recording from the app. I did have hard landing last year that caused the Solo to flip and after that I had to reseat the internal HDMI cable, but the cable hasn't been an issue since.

...but when I land the camera is shut off...
Reading is fundamental, I read otherwise...;) I guess you meant recording is shut off.

You may want to check your hdmi connection on the gimbal's main board again. They've been known to be temperamental. Again, good luck to your resolve.

Reading is fundamental, I read otherwise...;) I guess you meant recording is shut off.

You may want to check your hdmi connection on the gimbal's main board again. They've been known to be temperamental. Again, good luck to your resolve.

Thanks.

I think its a camera setting I started out with a gopro 4 silver..it ovrrheated alot I nevrr had full gopro functions evrerything was grayed out. so isold it and got a gopro hero 3+ black. Worked great full camera control pics and video I shoot in 1080 60 fps with nd filters. .video is amazing now now..I think if ur not going to shoot proffesinal video. .the 3+ black is a great camera. I take out memory card and plug it right in my tv. .easy. .imo the 3+ black is the best camera. With the right nd filter u can grt amazing crystal clear hd video. .snd every camera function works off remote. It even has protune..

I think its a camera setting I started out with a gopro 4 silver..it ovrrheated alot I nevrr had full gopro functions evrerything was grayed out. so isold it and got a gopro hero 3+ black. Worked great full camera control pics and video I shoot in 1080 60 fps with nd filters. .video is amazing now now..I think if ur not going to shoot proffesinal video. .the 3+ black is a great camera. I take out memory card and plug it right in my tv. .easy. .imo the 3+ black is the best camera. With the right nd filter u can grt amazing crystal clear hd video. .snd every camera function works off remote. It even has protune..

I bought a Solo because I already owned a Hero 4 Black, it would be ironic to buy another camera now. If I'm going to be limited to 1080p and have to buy something different to make it work I think it would be a Spark. Ideally one of the work-arounds offered above will work and I get more mileage out of what I already have.

You could try shooting in different video modes and frame rates to see if it's causing the issue.
I've had no issues shooting in 1080P @ 120fps however that's not to say you may not have a dodgy camera. My first GP4 gave up on me 3 months ago (bought it when it first came out), would just freeze after 26 minutes. I have another GP4 that seems to work fine except for timelapse. Either freezes or shuts itself down. However you could try another brand of memory card in the camera. Remember, when the GP4 is out of the drone, you're probably just recording video with it. When it's in the drone, not only is it recording video, but it's also processing the feed to send to the drone (which in turn broadcasts it to your device) so it's doing a lot more workload than normal.

You just need to tick the boxes and keep trouble shooting till you find the issue!

Good luck!

I've been reading that some H4B units can be touchy/crashy due to thermal issues. Apparently, the thermal paste on the heatsink isn't exactly applied too well and they're not using the best grade thermal paste. A fair number of folks have resolved intermittent crash/shutdowns on their H4B units by cleaning the heatsink and using higher-grade thermal compound (artic silver, artic cooling mx4, etc).

I'm tempted to do that to mine, though it hasn't given me any issues yet.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
I've been reading that some H4B units can be touchy/crashy due to thermal issues.
In our application, I found that the memory card speed along with streaming video overheated the unit. Use a high quality card and the problem is typically gone...

But then the OP says he only loses video, the unit itself does not shut off...I read wrong.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
So what I'm getting from his post is that the gopro is recording, but he's loosing the live video feed to the app. So therefore he doesn't know (until afterwards) whether the camera is still operating as he's looking at a black screen. Even though it's supposed to be a 720P video feed to the controller, I did find with another device that I would have issues if I tried recording in 4K. The feeds aspect ratio would be squashed and distorted (even though the recorded footage would be fine).

HI!
The last iOS that did work as normal was: 10.3.3 - I left one of my iPhones on this iOS and it works like it should.
When Apple updated the iOS to 11. - it stopped working, so the next best is what JOE wrote:
"(1) After you press the Record button to start recording, immediately exit the app and restart it. The video feed will then be displayed. It's annoying to do this but it works and only takes a few moments. It does not interrupt the recording in progress."
Happy flying!

Reactions: Michael Lione
HI!
The last iOS that did work as normal was: 10.3.3 - I left one of my iPhones on this iOS and it works like it should.
When Apple updated the iOS to 11. - it stopped working, so the next best is what JOE wrote:
"(1) After you press the Record button to start recording, immediately exit the app and restart it. The video feed will then be displayed. It's annoying to do this but it works and only takes a few moments. It does not interrupt the recording in progress."
Happy flying!
Thank you kvtv! This post should go to the top along with jimloss and Joe's good guidence as it most likely will render all the rest of the comments unnecessary.

It's been long known that FW beyond 10.3.3 is incompatible with Solo's normal GP streaming functions above 1080. Because GP won't release their code it can't be addressed.

I wasn't aware of the paddle work around. Thanks!

Reactions: Saijin_Naib

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig