Lose video feed when recording starts

Reaction score
This started recently; I boot up Solo and the GP and video feed is fine. About 75% of the time when I hit record the screen freezes and goes black . The GP is recording I just have no FPV. Rebooting the app brings video back.

This happens on my Mini 4. I've tried different resolutions and SD cards to no avail. Any advice? Thanks

Last edited:
I haven't because it's doing it on two separate
Hmm- have you tried deleting then reinstalling the app?

Yes I did, same thing. Thinking about replacing the gimbal out but it sure seems like a app/software issue.

You still have control over the GoPro through the app, but just no video when this happens, right? If so, it does sound like the data stream. 720HD takes a fair amount of bandwidth and if wifi stream is marginal it shuts off the video to maintain flight controls. The need to reboot the app. At least this is my theory, no technical mumbo jumbo to back it up however.

You could simply have a bad antenna connection somewhere, Solo or controller... I experienced the same back in early 2016, loose antennas on the controller, and it would give the black/blank screen.

If you were getting green/blue/static/flipping screens then it would be a HDMI connection somewhere...in most cases. But could also be a black/blank screen, as you lost the total video feed. Vibration is not helping a poor connection.

Try another gimbal, if available, just to speed up the trouble shooting. You're on the right path for what you tried so far.

You still have control over the GoPro through the app, but just no video when this happens, right? If so, it does sound like the data stream. 720HD takes a fair amount of bandwidth and if wifi stream is marginal it shuts off the video to maintain flight controls. The need to reboot the app. At least this is my theory, no technical mumbo jumbo to back it up however.

You could simply have a bad antenna connection somewhere, Solo or controller... I experienced the same back in early 2016, loose antennas on the controller, and it would give the black/blank screen.

If you were getting green/blue/static/flipping screens then it would be a HDMI connection somewhere...in most cases. But could also be a black/blank screen, as you lost the total video feed. Vibration is not helping a poor connection.

Try another gimbal, if available, just to speed up the trouble shooting. You're on the right path for what you tried so far.

Yes I can still change the GP settings and start and stop recording. I just replaced my worn out FPVLR antenna with a new one.... I'll try a different antennas, thanks.

Edit: No dice - I tried my Alphas and stock antennas with the same result. I'll try a spare gimbal I have.

Reactions: jcashion
GP4B. More information. On my mini 4 if I select 720 or 1080 no loss of video, just a brief black screen then the video feed returns. Previously I went from 4k to 2.7 and the problem persisted, but in the lower resolutions it works. Also my Mini 4 has gone through a couple updates when this issue started.

My understanding is the video downlink feed is 720p so how does changing the camera resolution affect that? Thanks

I've read a similar experience recently, can't remember the resolve exactly. I believe something related to iOS 11 had an issue. Could be as simple as reloading the App. Heck even reloading the FW in the GP couldn't hurt...

Being a low ground flyer like you are, have you "gently" crashed lately? If so, then you really should go through the hardware connections. Did you swap the gimbal yet?

Me fly low, lol:rolleyes: I took the gimbal off, cleaned it and re-seated all the connectors with the same result. I replaced the gimbal with a new gimbal with the same result. I think there is something going on with the new iOS firmware. Is anyone else have issues with 4k and iOS 11.0.3?

I'll try reloading the GP firmware I already reinstalled the app. Thanks

Man, sorry none of my suggestions worked. Good luck on finding the problem.

And I've watched several of your LT discussion, almost wanted to go out and buy a jeep.... Your video quality has improved 10 fold since your first. Just an amazing playground you have.

I have the exact same issue that only recently started. As soon as I hit record, the video feed stops and goes black. When I close the app and restart app, video is back. I have iOS 11.0.3 and latest solo firmware.

I have the exact same issue that only recently started. As soon as I hit record, the video feed stops and goes black. When I close the app and restart app, video is back. I have iOS 11.0.3 and latest solo firmware.

Reading this thread again, the issue of video dropping occurs with both IOS and Android devices. I’m convinced it’s a firmware issue.

What is the recommended action step now?

Reading this thread again, the issue of video dropping occurs with both IOS and Android devices. I’m convinced it’s a firmware issue.

What is the recommended action step now?

Sorry I went back and edited my original post this is only happening on my Apple OS. With Android there's a momentary black screen when you hit record in 4K but the video feed comes back.

Sorry I went back and edited my original post this is only happening on my Apple OS. With Android there's a momentary black screen when you hit record in 4K but the video feed comes back.
Thanks for the clarification. This gives me hope that I can at least switch to a device that should work. Still, it sucks that I have to make a purchase just to regain use.

I opened a ticket with 3DR but not holding my breath for a positive outcome.

I can confirm i'm having the same issue after upgrading to 11.0.3 on my iPAD air. Changing my camera settings in the app from from 2.7k to 1080p (Hero 4 Black) has provided me a workaround while I wait for a better solution.

Has anyone found a Fix for the Video stoppage whenever you hit record in 4K on a GoPro 4 Black Running IOS 11 or Higher

I've not seen anything. I'm thinking Apple has done something with their HDMI decode library or hardware that doesn't respond well to the stream of resets and changing resolutions that Solo creates during recording.

I'll need to look at source to confirm, but my memory says that part of what Solo does dring video transmission is to send a repeating stream of HDMI pipeline resets as a way of keeping the screen live thru changes in resolution and bandwidth.

I don't remember - does this happen with SidePilot as well? Might give some insight into the source of the issue.....

Has anyone found a Fix for the Video stoppage whenever you hit record in 4K on a GoPro 4 Black Running IOS 11 or Higher

I had the same issue. Switched to using an Android device instead of Apple and all is working just fine. I’ve found no fix for IOS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso