Looking for a "how to" calibrate batteries

Can anyone clarify step 3 in the calibration instructions:

Charge the pack completely and leave it on the charger for 48 hours. The pack will relax, then do a balance cycle, then top off.
Is it just me, or does that sound like you never take the battery off the charger? It seems like it would make more sense if it was supposed to be charge the pack completely and then take it OFF the charger for 48 hours to let it relax, then put it back on the charger to balance/top off. If you leave it on the charger for 48 hours, how do you differentiate between that and the balance charge, and between that and topping it off?

Charge the pack completely and leave it on the charger for 48 hours. The pack will relax, then do a balance cycle, then top off.
Is it just me, or does that sound like you never take the battery off the charger? It seems like it would make more sense if it was supposed to be charge the pack completely and then take it OFF the charger for 48 hours to let it relax, then put it back on the charger to balance/top off. If you leave it on the charger for 48 hours, how do you differentiate between that and the balance charge, and between that and topping it off?
I actually have a solo battery disassembled. Ill upload pics when I get off of work

Reactions: EZL
Yep, that would be a failed cell. [emoji4] It looks to be time to fully discharge and dispose of it (small light bulb works well). For Sneb, your cell dropping to 1.7 v is shot, so don't worry about doing permanent damage to it... it's pretty much done.

Nice pix, by the way! If you found a good way to take the case apart so it can be reassembled, that would be really handy to be able to build new batteries.

I can't take credit for the pix. I don't remember where I ran across them but downloaded for future reference. I am well aware of the degree of difficulty and more important the danger attempting to cut these paks apart. Clearences are tight and so the slighted slip can be disastrous.

I'm in great hopes someone(s) in the know will set up a jig, find suitable replacement cells, be able to do the necessary soldering in and reassembly not to mention resetting the cycle clock, and all at a cost that won't break the bank. That is a very high expectation.

I have very low expectations that the OEM will run a new batch. Seems there won't be enough demand. B&H has been liquidating Solo batteries for months at a ridiculously low price. Either they got a huge inventory or there is low demand. Got my fingers crossed!

My guess is the BMS onboard the pack with automatically handle those three states. That is it will charge the battery then cut off at the proper charge level, then start to trickle down to a point the charger kicks back in does the balance and finishes with the top off. If I'm correct in my assumption then I can only assume it takes about 48 hrs for this to play out.

I have questioned many who have posted you can ruin a Solo battery by abusing the charge cycle. Maybe I'm giving the "Smart" aspect of the pack more credit then it it due but seems to me the BMS will protect itself from abusive charging as it does with the controlled trickle down.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000