Log Help: Work Solo fell out of the sky

What happened?

• Total voters
I'll try to look at the log again later and see if there is any correlation between when the RCOUT is going crazy and the direction it was flying in. Solo will only allow itself to pull so many Amps. You had 2 one minute or so episodes of very strange behavior before the final one and failure.
I just did this. High draw was on Northbound portions of the mission. Solo was flying around 29mph and had a pitch in the low to mid 30s. Also interesting is the timing of the fall - just as it passed over the trees.
upload_2018-7-14_7-26-25.png

Here's a topo map with a red X marking the approximate location of the fall. If I'm reading the topo map and Mission Planner maps correctly, there was around a 30 foot elevation increase from the launch point and where the fall occurred. The Solo was at about 130' above launch point at the start of the fall. That puts it at about 100' above ground at the start of the fall. I don't know how tall the trees are, but is it possible that Solo clipped a tree or was struck by a bird?upload_2018-7-14_8-22-49.png

Something happened right about here:

Plane 1881 (good) Lat: 42°45'28.53"N Long: 76°31'5.56"W
Roll: -2.88 Pitch: 29.32 Yaw: 359.02 WP dist -52947.05 tar bear 16955.87 nav bear -55077.88 alt error 17023.64

Plane 1882 (Hmm...)
Roll: -27.52 Pitch: -0.13 Yaw: 15.98 WP dist -52745.28 tar bear 16955.7 nav bear -54848.95 alt error 17023.41

Plane 1883 (Bad)
Roll: -142.19 Pitch: -1.51 Yaw: 88.68 WP dist -52611.02 tar bear 16955.58 nav bear -54643.3 alt error 17031.99

Attachments

• AllHellBrokeLoose.jpg
    AllHellBrokeLoose.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
Reactions: Saijin_Naib
I agree with Jim. I would go over to the trees and determine their height and lat long. Maybe look for a dead bird too. :) If it didn't hit a tree, maybe a bird flying out from the tree when Solo flying by...I see a problem at about 131.9' rel alt.

Did any prop spin off and survive the crash, I've seen many of these crashes where a motor spins in reverse momentarily and with one prop off it is all it takes to go davy jones, were all props on motors once on the ground? Its a known issue with SOLO's the imposed a software fix which was bullshit and causes this known condition to occur, its very well know, it has everything to do with the 3.3v pwm signals to the esc's instead of what should've been a 5v pwm signal to the esc's.....
The photos attached show the Solo how I found it. All props on the hubs, all pieces of the props in the immediate vicinity (so did not likely break at altitude).

I think you might be right about the possible ESC issue rearing it's head...

I just did this. High draw was on Northbound portions of the mission. Solo was flying around 29mph and had a pitch in the low to mid 30s. Also interesting is the timing of the fall - just as it passed over the trees.
That, to me, would be consistent with flying into the wind under load. Normally it doesn't bother it at all.
Here's a topo map with a red X marking the approximate location of the fall. If I'm reading the topo map and Mission Planner maps correctly, there was around a 30 foot elevation increase from the launch point and where the fall occurred. The Solo was at about 130' above launch point at the start of the fall. That puts it at about 100' above ground at the start of the fall. I don't know how tall the trees are, but is it possible that Solo clipped a tree or was struck by a bird?
The mission was being flown at roughly 120m/400ft AGL with Relative & verify heights in Mission Planner, 30m terrain detail. The Solo was far too high up to have clipped a tree in that location. There were a number of hawks on that part of the field, but given the distance from myself (nearly a half mile) I had a hard time determining their actual proximity to the craft, and did not see one strike it (I was looking at my tablet/telemetry when it fell).

Something happened right about here:
Plane 1881 (good) Lat: 42°45'28.53"N Long: 76°31'5.56"W
Roll: -2.88 Pitch: 29.32 Yaw: 359.02 WP dist -52947.05 tar bear 16955.87 nav bear -55077.88 alt error 17023.64
Plane 1882 (Hmm...)
Roll: -27.52 Pitch: -0.13 Yaw: 15.98 WP dist -52745.28 tar bear 16955.7 nav bear -54848.95 alt error 17023.41
Plane 1883 (Bad)
Roll: -142.19 Pitch: -1.51 Yaw: 88.68 WP dist -52611.02 tar bear 16955.58 nav bear -54643.3 alt error 17031.99
I agree with Jim. I would go over to the trees and determine their height and lat long. Maybe look for a dead bird too. :) If it didn't hit a tree, maybe a bird flying out from the tree when Solo flying by...I see a problem at about 131.9' rel alt.
It was well above the tree at roughly 400ft AGL with Verify Height and Relative in MP. I think a bird is a possibility since I did note a number of hawks on that part of the field.

Reactions: jimloss
Solo's props can actually REVERSE?
Yes its a known issue and that's why the green cube has been pushed as a necessary upgrade it prevents the event that most likely occured in this thread, I bet my life on it.....

View attachment 9073
Not the trees. This is the same mission flown the next day on my other work Solo. Death island in the lower right corner :|
A number of people here have added some good advice and information. The speed and wind explain the Amps draw while flying in a certain direction. I personally have never seen a log though with the RCOUT's spiking high and low on a healthy aircraft. I've seen it before when an ESC or motor failed but that usually happens on the arm that is failing and on opposite arm. like 1 and 3 , or 2 and 4. All yours were at times going to the bottom and top in a strange way. But only into the wind maybe. I wonder if the air up high was really turbulent.

David and others, would you be willing to look at a few older logs from Drone1 to see if this issue has been a while coming?

So, it seems I got bit by the ground lift issue with the ESCs. What seems to be in question is what caused it this time, right?

Put the logs up. Last log ended at about 100ft as it was coming down.. Is this stock firmware or Open Solo with 1.5.4? I can look again and answer my own question actually. It never said crash on the log but that might be the case. Then again there is a brown out fail. Aliens. Maybe pushing the envelope a little to far. I wish I had a firm answer.

Put the logs up. Last log ended at about 100ft as it was coming down.. Is this stock firmware or Open Solo with 1.5.4? I can look again and answer my own question actually. It never said crash on the log but that might be the case. Then again there is a brown out fail. Aliens. Maybe pushing the envelope a little to far. I wish I had a firm answer.
I think his log did not end--this happens sometimes when you download using Mission Planner (Maybe you know that already David.). Solo was built to handle the tlogs and DataFlash logs using the controller and Solo--I will put money on it that he will get a better log sitting on the companion computer and that log will end after the battery spills out. :)

I think his log did not end--this happens sometimes when you download using Mission Planner (Maybe you know that already David.). Solo was built to handle the tlogs and DataFlash logs using the controller and Solo--I will put money on it that he will get a better log sitting on the companion computer and that log will end after the battery spills out. :)
I did not know this!! I'm more used to pulling the sd card out of a pixhawk 1 and looking at them. Thanks.

Stupid question time: How do I pull the logs from the imx6 board? To use MP, I hooked a mUSB right up to the pixhawk cube and connected via MP over USB, and used the log download tool there. I couldn't figure out how to SSH in to grab the log. If you can point me towards the instructions, I'll grab another copy of that log Monday or so.
I did not know this!! I'm more used to pulling the sd card out of a pixhawk 1 and looking at them. Thanks.
Me either! I thought MP's log pull worked fine. Hm, good to know.
But the question still remains, at least to me, why did a brownout warning appear in the quick analysis on Mission Planner?
Data point: Shortly before these issues, I installed the unshielded 3DR Solo mHDMI cable from Jester's Drones in that Solo. The cable was badly cut into/frayed when I pulled the Solo apart, but that doesn't surprise me given the impact. Do you think it could have rubbed on the PCB and caused intermittent shorting or something? I don't think HDMI carries much current/voltage, and there isn't much on that part of the PCB to short I don't think.

Older logs:
2018-07-10_272E
First field for the survey job the day before the Solo fell out of the sky.

2018-07-09_37
Final field for the survey job two days before the Solo fell out of the sky.

Can anyone spot anything fishy?

Attachments

• 2018-07-09_37.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 2
  • 2018-07-10_272E.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40