5. DJI Smote the Solo out of spite

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Aliens

16.7%
  1. Saijin_Naib

Pictured below are a few shots of it.
    Image00.jpg Image01.jpg Image02.jpg

I've also attached the controller's tlog. I've not disassembled it yet to dump the dataflash log off the Pixhawk cube.

To me, it was seemingly running just fine. Motors sounded smooth, they cogged cleanly when moved manually. I check the auto-analysis in Mission Planner after most jobs, and didn't get any warnings I wasn't expecting (slow loop, etc). The props are fresh Master Airscrew props which have seen 0 abuse (I store/transport them in the microfiber drawstring bag). The battery pack lights even report roughly the same percentage as the last I saw on my remote, so it doesn't seem the battery crapped out. From watching the log playback, I almost want to say I had an ESC brownout and it couldn't recover, or possibly I had a bird-strike. I don't think any prop threw a blade since I recovered all the pieces of the props at the crash site, and I would expect that if a blade got thrown, I wouldn't find it laying at the site of impact.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. carpy

Post the Dataflash log--more detail the better. (Sorry I just re-read your post--post DF log when you can.)

#2 carpy, Jul 11, 2018 at 6:53 PM
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018 at 7:20 PM
  3. RichWest

Bummer, sorry for your loss...

4. Saijin_Naib

I will shortly, holding off to see if 3DR will warranty it before I rip it open. Does the tlog tell us anything of value?
    Thanks... Still want busted gimbals?

5. RichWest

Sure, but hang on to the gimbal for the time being. I've got a few inbound that need eval over the next few weeks. Those may break me of the gimbal repair hobby...

Saijin_Naib likes this.
  6. Saijin_Naib

Gentlemens (and ladies),

I present to you the dataflash log! Looks like the Cube survived the crash without problem. It will very likely live on to be turned into the control system for an automated apple picking cart for a nearby grower.

Please let me know what this log shows you.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

carpy likes this.
  7. carpy

It looks like the log is truncated--how did you download? From Solo or thru Mission Planner?

8. Saijin_Naib

Through the Mission Planner interface. How can you tell it is truncated? The Solo ejected the battery during the crash, so I don't think the log closed cleanly. The telemetry log also stopped at something like 100ft AGL.

9. David Boulanger

If I just looked at the right log and didn't look at another one I had saved you had some type periodic high Amp draw where the motors were working real hard fast and slow to fly. It happens for one minute, goes away, comes back, goes away and then comes back and then Solo is a victim of gravity. Pulling 40 plus Amps during the strange motor/ ESC event. It sounded O.K.?

10. David Boulanger

Maybe an intermittent short causing all types of problems. Screenshot (76).png Screenshot (77).png Screenshot (78).png

11. David Boulanger

You may have been flying by a Worm Hole or time portal.

12. Saijin_Naib

upload_2018-7-13_18-2-26.png
    Is that what you're referring to? The dips in the yellow line? Sorry, I'm a noob at reading the logs. I rely upon the Autoanalysis after each flight to tell me how things went. Apparently, that wasn't a great idea.

It sounded smooth to me. I'm not seeing a pattern to the amp draw except on the final leg, it was fighting pretty hard (tilted far down) trying to keep speed. Maybe the winds were gusting too much?

The conditions were about 80F, winds N at 12-16mph, roughly 400ft ASL.

13. Saijin_Naib

I'll take your vote as Aliens, then.

14. David Boulanger

Graph your RCOUT 1,2,3,4. The motors should not be constantly going from dead slow to wide open. I've seen logs from flights in sport mode at 50 MPH that looked smoother.

Saijin_Naib likes this.
  15. David Boulanger

It seems likely a brownout caused the crash but something else was causing the high amp draw which cuased the brown out.

Saijin_Naib likes this.
  16. Saijin_Naib

Were my flight conditions too harsh?

17. BigTulsa

Hard to know. Have you said the conditions yet? Was it exceedingly windy?

18. Saijin_Naib

I've flown in windier.

19. carloliveira

Did any prop spin off and survive the crash, I've seen many of these crashes where a motor spins in reverse momentarily and with one prop off it is all it takes to go davy jones, were all props on motors once on the ground? Its a known issue with SOLO's the imposed a software fix which was bullshit and causes this known condition to occur, its very well know, it has everything to do with the 3.3v pwm signals to the esc's instead of what should've been a 5v pwm signal to the esc's.....

20. David Boulanger

I'll try to look at the log again later and see if there is any correlation between when the RCOUT is going crazy and the direction it was flying in. Solo will only allow itself to pull so many Amps. You had 2 one minute or so episodes of very strange behavior before the final one and failure.