License Plates for Drones Could Make Rogue Operators Accountable

Reaction score
Some interesting tidbits in this article.

http://www.technologyreview.com/new...rones-could-make-rogue-operators-accountable/

"Foina says he has had talks with 3D Robotics about how it might modify its drone’s electronics to support the design, but the company has not committed to doing so."

and

"However, it would be relatively easy to tape over your license plate, remove the device, or build a drone without one, Humphreys notes. He thinks building always-on location beacon technology into the radio components used in the drone industry could be a more reliable way of ensuring that most drones, and their operators, are traceable."

In the future and probably not so distant future there will be some type of tracking (required by law) on all new Drone sales. Probably along the lines of GPS for both tracking flights in restricted air space as well as UAV highways. There will be restricted fly zones that you cannot navigate in even if you wanted to. However we have 16 year olds that can hack into the pentagon and where there is a will there will be a (hack) I mean way.

Reactions: lsmith1981

http://www.technologyreview.com/new...rones-could-make-rogue-operators-accountable/

"Foina says he has had talks with 3D Robotics about how it might modify its drone’s electronics to support the design, but the company has not committed to doing so."

and

"However, it would be relatively easy to tape over your license plate, remove the device, or build a drone without one, Humphreys notes. He thinks building always-on location beacon technology into the radio components used in the drone industry could be a more reliable way of ensuring that most drones, and their operators, are traceable."

In the future and probably not so distant future there will be some type of tracking (required by law) on all new Drone sales. Probably along the lines of GPS for both tracking flights in restricted air space as well as UAV highways. There will be restricted fly zones that you cannot navigate in even if you wanted to. However we have 16 year olds that can hack into the pentagon and where there is a will there will be a (hack) I mean way.
I felt this coming now.. Guess my thoughts were right overall. In time we will see.

and

Yea agree where there's a will there's a way but the majority of the morons doing the dumb, dangerous or illegal stuff with multis are most likley not the brightest crayon in the box. Yea there will be the odd one here or there that gets talked into it by his idiot friends or just makes a bad choice but at least if you can't fix stupid you can put a smart barrier in its way. I said it before I'm all for a license and tracking just add a classification to our rx licence number like a motorcycle and hold idiots accountable. Most smart enough to hack this tech are also going to be smart enough not to bother doing most of the dumb things were seeing latley with multis. If nothing else to hack it they have to read research and learn some things about it and have to make a decision to do the dumb thing not just accidentally f up. It'd be great if we were smart enough as a whole to keep it as it is now but if we do we're all going to be severely restricted or banned in the near future.

Yea agree where there's a will there's a way but the majority of the morons doing the dumb, dangerous or illegal stuff with multis are most likley not the brightest crayon in the box. Yea there will be the odd one here or there that gets talked into it by his idiot friends or just makes a bad choice but at least if you can't fix stupid you can put a smart barrier in its way. I said it before I'm all for a license and tracking just add a classification to our rx licence number like a motorcycle and hold idiots accountable. Most smart enough to hack this tech are also going to be smart enough not to bother doing most of the dumb things were seeing latley with multis. If nothing else to hack it they have to read research and learn some things about it and have to make a decision to do the dumb thing not just accidentally f up. It'd be great if we were smart enough as a whole to keep it as it is now but if we do we're all going to be severely restricted or banned in the near future.

Yeah it stinks, there are always going to be idiots out there that give those flying responsibly a bad name.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso