Hello from Pasadena, California

Reaction score
Hi all,

My name is Les Bernstien, VFX/Live Action Cinematograher and now adding 3dr drone pilot to the mix.

Recently procured my first Solo drone and promptly crashed it in the Tijuana river! Crash was not so bad, but the algae muck is like something from the bogs of Star Wars! Clean-up was a bitch.

Limping back into the air - a little wobbly, but a straightened gimbal and new motor is on the way and with lessons learned - I will go back to finish shooting some spectacular footage for a future Solar-powered/Algae reclamation project on the border (3D model tracking into live footage as a pre-viz).

One of the reasons I chose the Solo is a) it was manufactured in Tijuana (Jordy Muñoz' turf) and b) a lot of the software was developed for agricultural and survey mapping purposes before anyone else was doing this. The functionality of the software is pretty nice, and I come from the world of motion control cameras.

Another reason is the halt in production lowered the price enough to use it as a good entry drone.

I've seen a lot of useful posts in these threads and hope I will be able to contribute in the future. This could be one of the more robust forums out there.

Saludos,
Les Bernstien

Sorry to hear about your crash but glad to see you're going to get things back up and running. Good luck with the shoot!

Where do you fly?
Ugh, I pretty much don't fly anywhere in the LA area. I'm cursed with knowing and wanting to follow the rules, and with the number of heliports around, to fly anywhere around here you've got to call 5+ places. So, I end up flying the Solo pretty much only when traveling. There is an AMA field at Whittier Narrows where I've flown with a friend a couple times.

I've done some low altitude testing (under 100') around my yard and nearby Macdonald park, but working on a project south of the border. Rules are a little looser down there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000