Just a random post about the GP Hero 6

Reaction score
Don't worry, this post doesn't feature the "Will this work on my solo" or "what Gimbal can I get for this to work on my solo"... I swear!

Bought one as a present for the other half. I was setting it up last night and was pretty impressed with the layout of the controls on the LCD screen. Mind you, after charging for ages the battery took it's time to get to 95% and then crawled to 98% (GPS, WIFI, and voice commands turned off). Getting a standalone charger this week.

Even though I only briefly looked at it last night (Just updating firmware and charging) I was impressed with the low light performance. I mention this because I found it very hard to get info from the web about the low light performance or a low light comparison, maybe because it's just so new that a lot of people haven't put up clips yet.

I was in the living room, tv on, candles lit, and turned on one of those color changing LED bulbs (white, but very low output from those things) (no, there was no Barry White music playing)

The GP2 would have basically filmed a pitch black room, shown pinpoint of light for the candles and shown a surprisingly good picture for the tv.

The GP4 would have shown a pitch black room with a few odd highlights where the light was bouncing off a few things, shown the candles and an overblown white image from the TV, very soft picture and noise throughout.

The GP5 has voice commands and GPS, but I believe it uses the exact same image sensor as the GP4 (hey, it was on the internet, it must be true).

The GP6 though, it showed the entire room, there was a purplish hue to everything from that bulb but I was really impressed. I could make out all the detail and even though noise was present it was still far better than what I had been expecting.

Now this was at 1080P @ 30fps, I didn't have time to play about with the photography end of things or do long exposure or time lapse shots.

I will try to make a side by side by side (GP2, GP4, GP6) clip for the weekend so you can get a fair idea of the difference, but needless to say, if you're thinking about this camera, this was huge plus for me. I really do enjoy making night lapse shots and if this is an indicator of what this camera can do, I was pretty impressed.

Just my quick 2 cents on this one!

Reactions: DJMc
If you turn off PT and turn on low light on the GP4B it works well. But sure the noise and softness is an issue as the light diminishes. My late afternoon windmill video had PT on, was an oversight as I was having battery issues and was losing light quickly....

Look forward to your comparisons.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
If you turn off PT and turn on low light on the GP4B it works well. But sure the noise and softness is an issue as the light diminishes. My late afternoon windmill video had PT on, was an oversight as I was having battery issues and was losing light quickly....

Look forward to your comparisons.
I've mixed feelings about the low light settings, technically all it does is reduce the frame rate if you're filming in anything above 30fps. With the PT on, you have a bit more control over the ISO settings and ev comp, but noise is still a factor and with the low frame rate, so is blur. The GP4 is pretty good in a well lit city at night, but on more country roads, even with halogen street lights or arc sodium, it just doesn't really have the video quality I'd like.

However, I still find the GP4 awesome for doing nightlapse photography of the stars or the clouds rolling over the city from across the river. It's kinda why I'm looking forward to seeing if the gains the GP6 offers is also present in the photo's as well as video.

Reactions: RichWest
Thanks...I've been reading that. I think next move will be to get a replacement lens, to loose the fisheye effect of the stock lens.

Don't worry, this post doesn't feature the "Will this work on my solo" or "what Gimbal can I get for this to work on my solo"... I swear!

Bought one as a present for the other half. I was setting it up last night and was pretty impressed with the layout of the controls on the LCD screen. Mind you, after charging for ages the battery took it's time to get to 95% and then crawled to 98% (GPS, WIFI, and voice commands turned off). Getting a standalone charger this week.

Even though I only briefly looked at it last night (Just updating firmware and charging) I was impressed with the low light performance. I mention this because I found it very hard to get info from the web about the low light performance or a low light comparison, maybe because it's just so new that a lot of people haven't put up clips yet.

I was in the living room, tv on, candles lit, and turned on one of those color changing LED bulbs (white, but very low output from those things) (no, there was no Barry White music playing)

The GP2 would have basically filmed a pitch black room, shown pinpoint of light for the candles and shown a surprisingly good picture for the tv.

The GP4 would have shown a pitch black room with a few odd highlights where the light was bouncing off a few things, shown the candles and an overblown white image from the TV, very soft picture and noise throughout.

The GP5 has voice commands and GPS, but I believe it uses the exact same image sensor as the GP4 (hey, it was on the internet, it must be true).

The GP6 though, it showed the entire room, there was a purplish hue to everything from that bulb but I was really impressed. I could make out all the detail and even though noise was present it was still far better than what I had been expecting.

Now this was at 1080P @ 30fps, I didn't have time to play about with the photography end of things or do long exposure or time lapse shots.

I will try to make a side by side by side (GP2, GP4, GP6) clip for the weekend so you can get a fair idea of the difference, but needless to say, if you're thinking about this camera, this was huge plus for me. I really do enjoy making night lapse shots and if this is an indicator of what this camera can do, I was pretty impressed.

Just my quick 2 cents on this one!

I ran across a YouTube video that was posted for the GoPro Hero 6 being used on the 3dr Solo, stock mount. Putting the Hero 6 on the Solo gimbal
might take a lot of modifications to it. You wouldn't have all the features like the Hero 3 or 4 and here's the link on YouTube:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Do you know if anyone has tried to put it on the regular gimbal?
It actually wouldn't fit on the regular gimbal due to the different connectors. The GP4 has a bus connector on the back that slots into the gimbal, the GP6 doesn't. I've seen people put the GP6 in the stock holder that came with the Solo and use the stabilization feature to smooth things out. However the issue is that it's not so smooth and of course no pan and tilt control (and no camera control either).

ya, but there is also a harness adapter from go pro. (Gp 6 to 4 for the Karma gimbal) Just curious if it'd work. It's my understanding the Bus connector controls the camera functions, but the HDMI handle the video. I assume the GP 6 is all integrated through the HDMI, since that's how the KARMA worked. But since GoPro is giving up on drones, maybe they'll reconcile with 3DR

ya, but there is also a harness adapter from go pro. (Gp 6 to 4 for the Karma gimbal) Just curious if it'd work. It's my understanding the Bus connector controls the camera functions, but the HDMI handle the video. I assume the GP 6 is all integrated through the HDMI, since that's how the KARMA worked. But since GoPro is giving up on drones, maybe they'll reconcile with 3DR

I doubt that GoPro would change their design again just for the 3dr Solo. The best bet would be to use a knockoff camera for the 3dr gimbal and the
downside is that you don't have all of the GoPro 4's camera control features.

I don't think it'd be a hardware design change, as much as it would be letting developers access the software to allow the solo app (or sole app) to access the camera controls...but i'm just guessing.

but there is also a harness adapter from go pro. (Gp 6 to 4 for the Karma gimbal) Just curious if it'd work
In short, No. First of all the dimensions of the camera are completely different, so again, it physically wouldn't fit in the gimbal. Also the gopro adapter you're talking about is to make a GP4 fit into a Gimbal for a GP6. So it's more of a case with built in counter weights for the gimbal balance. Plus on the solo gimbal, there's that really big bus port that fits into the back of the 4. There is no such slot on the GP5 or GP6. This means that the camera won't sit in the solo's gimbal, you'd actually have to saw that bus connector off. So you'd be mangling the gimbal. The Gimbal is what it is and works with specific camera's. This is why people are trying to adapt other gimbals to the solo and use different camera's.

since GoPro is giving up on drones, maybe they'll reconcile with 3DR
Since 3DR's drone division has long since vanished, there is going to be no reconciling. It would be of no benefit to GoPro whatsoever. Since Gopro's sales figures have been dropping and they've dropped out of the drone market, anything they have (code or physical product) is going to be considered an asset. They are probably looking at the real possibility of having to split up and sell off divisions of their company if sales don't make a resurgence (and going by the GP Fusion, that's not likely to happen.....). This means that they would only stand to lose money if they were to release the gimbal code rather than sell it off (and that's unlikely to happen, more likely it would be bundled as part of a deal).

Reactions: DJMc
Their drone division is still working, maybe in limited capacity. Look at the enterprise solutions the site scan drone and the use of the sony camera

Reactions: IrishmanPDX

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo