It even uses throw mode

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Hold on wait is this throw mode? That is not running a green cube so I't can't be throw mode, I really see nothing wrong here other than the guy putting his fingers at risk

Last edited:
Seems like a stock Solo....my question would be why on earth would I want to do this?

(and now, back to the original topic of this thread: the new Sky Viper 2450 GPS)

I'm having fun with this product, and it meets my needs for a quick way to discover the height of the taller trees near a job site without using a Solo. That said... it's a new product. Expect some mysteries as you adjust your expectations, learn the quirks, and patiently wait for software updates as issues are discovered and resolved or mitigated. Kind of like another product on this forum. :)

At the moment, here is a good place to start reading and watching (not sure why the "throw mode" label was used, since the page is mostly an intro to "SkyRocket" (actually to one new product from SkyRocket). Then you can move on to experimenting with connecting to Mission Planner, Tower, Solex or another popular GCS app. I am looking forward to improved documentation from SkyRocket and on ArduPilot.org before 100,000+ users of these start to reach out for Help.

So how does this little 148 gram flying robot perform in the wind? I sent it up to about 165 feet, in conditions stated by UAV Forecast to be wind at 5mph with 15 mph gusting from the SSE, with a little precipitation. Toward the end of the attached video you can see it lean to maintain position. The prop guards probably don't help, given the overall weight, and the power of the motors/props. I could not upload the mp4 video to this website, so here is a link to the file on my non-commercialized YouTube channel. Enjoy.

Reactions: XevetS
Just got one at Target. $149.
Need (or recommended) to do any software update first?

Will see if I can try it this coming weekend. Tons of activities packed by the boss (wife) and a business trip starting on Sunday. So, likely will only be able to check it out in a couple weeks.

Reactions: XevetS
Just got one at Target. $149.
Need (or recommended) to do any software update first?

Will see if I can try it this coming weekend. Tons of activities packed by the boss (wife) and a business trip starting on Sunday. So, likely will only be able to check it out in a couple weeks.

I think the SkyViper app should prompt you to update software as needed. You may need to initially connect the drone with the controller with the app. Then follow the prompts and be patient.

I wouldn’t worry about safety because I wouldn’t be throwing it into a crowd- my concern would be malfunction or incorrect procedure and it tumbling across the ground. The sounds of breaking $150 plastic... on a much smaller scale as the jaskass who decides to attempt to stand up on his $10k bike and sh*t goes south and the next sounds are that $2-3k fairing package crumbling across the parking lot!

Hmmm, well one involved skill and the other faith in a system.

This is interesting... Although the Solo is on sale from Amazon for $200 brand new.

In response of the dude throwing his solo: In his video, he is in a public park with innocent bystanders in harms way, and he laughs about his so called accomplishment. Watch the video on YouTube. I have flown quadcopters for the last 15 years and NEVER had a situation where tossing a quad is necessary. And even the toy quads can cut flesh. Don't ask me why I know. I can understand a child tossing a toy quad, but not an adult with half a brain and then posting a video where some idiot is going to think "thats cool, I'll try that myself', next time I'm at the park in front of some people I don't even know, just to be cool.
15 years?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottk377