Is this normal? (WiFi ?)

Reaction score
At an altitude of around 200ft I'm losing signal to my controller. There are a couple of trees with no leaves around but I don't live in a forest by any means. I also lose signal when I go out maybe 4-5 backyards from mine which is no more than 200-250 ft away and once again the RTH is triggered. Ive tried with the stock antennas and also with the aftermarket alpha's. The alpha's are a little better but not much. Im not trying to fly cross town but I can barely make it off my block before I have a signal lose. So is this a normal in a city environment? Love to hear what you guys think...Thx

download some wifi monitoring app, I use wifi analyzer on android
This will boil down to how much wifi you are competing with
BTW neighborhoods are saturated with wifi

I agree with pyrate, wifi congestion is an issue and an analyzer app will reveal most issues.

Antenna orientation is typically another reason for poor performance. At what altitude are you flying?

Thx for the advice. I remember doing that a while ago so I could find a less congested wifi channel to speed up my internet. There were pages of wifi signals in my neighborhood. So with that kind of competition, I guess my expectations are too high? Would a wifi upgrade help or would it be the same situation being the amount of signals in the area?

I agree with pyrate, wifi congestion is an issue and an analyzer app will reveal most issues.

Antenna orientation is typically another reason for poor performance. At what altitude are you flying?

I'm usually between 140-200ft. With the stock antennas I point them down. With the alphas I point them up and the alpha facing solo. With one of each, I point them both up.

Snapseed.jpg Here's a pic I took last night. I lost signal at this altitude which was about 175ft. I'm about 7-10 miles from Manhattan so I guess pages of wifi should be expected. Lol

I upgraded the wifi cards to R11e 2Hnh in the controller and Solo, major boast to wi-fi, tripled the range with stock antenna, with the Alfa antennas 4000+ feet.

I don' t Fly more than 2000 feets, but it's nice to know that I now have the power, three bars signal strength.

Be safe and happy landing.....

I upgraded the wifi cards to R11e 2Hnh in the controller and Solo, major boast to wi-fi, tripled the range with stock antenna, with the Alfa antennas 4000+ feet.

I don' t Fly more than 2000 feets, but it's nice to know that I now have the power, three bars signal strength.

Be safe and happy landing.....

Wow! Are you flying in a wifi congested area?

I live in small coastal town, so not as conjested as a big city.
I find myself using the stock antennas, as I like to have VLOS at all time, and 1200 feet is my safety max. The Alfa antennas give me better range again, but you need to point the antennas at Solo all the time as they are directional. I have never experienced a RTH, once I see two or less bars, I chicken out.

Full details are available on this site.

Be safe....

Enem- I too have the Mikrotik wifi cards which helped. I also use the FPVLR antenna and have been as far out as 4000' @300 ft alt. over metro Phoenix.

I would recommend you install the wifi cards first and see what happens. If that's not sufficient you may need another antenna.

I tried the Alphas but they didn't work for me, even with the wifi cards.

3DR Solo Antennas Archives - FPVLR

Enem- I too have the Mikrotik wifi cards which helped. I also use the FPVLR antenna and have been as far out as 4000' @300 ft alt. over metro Phoenix.

I would recommend you install the wifi cards first and see what happens. If that's not sufficient you may need another antenna.

I tried the Alphas but they didn't work for me, even with the wifi cards.

3DR Solo Antennas Archives - FPVLR

Great info! I will look into the cards. Maybe I'll put them on my holiday list and give it to the wife!! Lol Thx for the help guys!

I tried the Alphas but they didn't work for me
I didn't have a noticeable change over stock with the Alphas either. I'm using FPVLR antenna and just got my first RTH triggered this morning, it sort of shocked me since I hadn't had it happen before in my back yard. I think it was due to being nearly directly overhead at about 200 feet. I had just flown out about a 1/4 mile and back without issue, and typically a strong signal with the FPVLR at distance. Regarding the RTH, the highly directional FPVLR antennas were not pointed directly at bird (so it was OE). I let it do its thing, and it went to the RTH altitude and landed within a foot of where it took off. So, unofficial test, good result. Overhead is a tough position, I remember an early flight where I tilted the controller up to point the antenna and the tablet fell out of the holder and I caught it before it hit the ground. I have the M8N GPS card which probably was responsible for the accurate landing. I have a set of the wifi cards to install, will probably do that in the next week or so.

Your antenna are directional so overhead could be an issue, hence the RTH. I upgraded the wi-if cards in the controller and drone, and use the stock antenna, the stock antennas are 360 rather than directional. I get 2000 feet with 2-3 bars signal strength, 1200 feet is just on the limit of VLOS, so the upgrade cards with the stock antenna is the best combination.
But every location is different for wi-fi interference, the new Wifi cards are an excellent addition.

Be safe and happy landing......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Damien427