Is 3DR X8 a Good Buy...

Reaction score
just to rephrase - to anyone who has flown an X8. is this a good copter to buy or not ? what are the pros and cons? thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
anyone ? just wanted to check if it's ok for me to get it as my neighbor is selling one? pros ? con? thanks..

Reaction score
I have the 3DR DIY Quad. It is the exact same airframe as the X8 minus 4 motors.
It is a good platform, if not a bit heavy. The X8 has great power, and with 8 motors it has some redundancy.
You never mentioned the price your neighbor was asking. Does it come with radio and batteries/charger? This thing is a power hog. Expect <20 min flight with a 10Ah 4S battery.

Reaction score
Sorry I missed this
I bought a used X8 refurb
They are beasts, and great for mappers. Depending on the deal you get and what you want to use it for
Mine crashed due to a bad pixhawk, but like I said I bought it knowing the risk for a ridiculously low price

The distributor I got it from made it right and send me a replacement pixhawk at a good price.
But I ended up getting the build bug and started moving the parts off my X8 to a tarot frame
At this point there is not much left of the original X8
My build is on this page

Reaction score
i am into photography and video. My friend is selling his brand new x8 for 300 with extra batteries, extra parts, gimbal, extra propellers ( carbon fiber) a controller and a Gpc hard case. He used to work for 3D robotics.thanks,

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the advices guys. I will jump on it and buy his x8. Will keep you all posted.oh by the way he also got spares arms with motor pods. Maybe I can ask him to include them.

Reaction score
I have a X8+ i got off ebay that was supposed to be trash.. Well from looking at the photos it looked like new. I bought it for 230 dollars and all it needed was a few screws. It has the better motors, fpv vtx, receiver etc etc.. I looked at the logs first thing and they were only showing the Tijuana manf facility testing only lol.. So I have flown it 20 times got it tuned up decent. I will be putting a SX260HS NIR on it or maybe something else QX1? Will see not sure I want to invest a ton. I also own a 3dr hexacopter last version they made and it was supposed to be ready to fly LOL. I paid $1700 for it at the time. Oh it flew okay but it wanted to leave the state and fly away.. It has the APM2.5 of which I made it the 2.6. After a few months of fixing the issues ie vibrations, compass etc it flew great. Still have it different landing gear and its the old man of the bunch I have. So is the X8 good ? Its decent but it depends on what your plans are cause a Phantom 4 these days is 700 bucks and its much easier to deal with. If you can get the thing for steal its a good deal but that's just my opinion.

Reaction score
I have a X8+ i got off ebay that was supposed to be trash.. Well from looking at the photos it looked like new. I bought it for 230 dollars and all it needed was a few screws. It has the better motors, fpv vtx, receiver etc etc.. I looked at the logs first thing and they were only showing the Tijuana manf facility testing only lol.. So I have flown it 20 times got it tuned up decent. I will be putting a SX260HS NIR on it or maybe something else QX1? Will see not sure I want to invest a ton. I also own a 3dr hexacopter last version they made and it was supposed to be ready to fly LOL. I paid $1700 for it at the time. Oh it flew okay but it wanted to leave the state and fly away.. It has the APM2.5 of which I made it the 2.6. After a few months of fixing the issues ie vibrations, compass etc it flew great. Still have it different landing gear and its the old man of the bunch I have. So is the X8 good ? Its decent but it depends on what your plans are cause a Phantom 4 these days is 700 bucks and its much easier to deal with. If you can get the thing for steal its a good deal but that's just my opinion.
friend of mine is selling it to me for 300+ with extra batteries and propellers. he said it's brand new. I do have about 5 3dr solo drones and some other small/medium drones but thinking that this X8 might be good for my photography/video hobby. let me know and thanks for the feedback. appreciate it. BTW, he's including the GPC hard case too.

Reaction score
Simply yes that's a good deal. Esp with the case I wish I had one talk about a over priced product. Just be away that x8+ assuming it has the black motors has big balls so make sure you go and do auto tune n such so it flies how you want it. Now the hard part is finding a gimbal you are happy with and camera. Don't even think about a DSLR. I'd say Sony Nex size would be perfect. And there are plenty of gimbals that will work with a little mounting setup. Just get a good gimbal controller. Best of luck.

Reaction score
Simply yes that's a good deal. Esp with the case I wish I had one talk about a over priced product. Just be away that x8+ assuming it has the black motors has big balls so make sure you go and do auto tune n such so it flies how you want it. Now the hard part is finding a gimbal you are happy with and camera. Don't even think about a DSLR. I'd say Sony Nex size would be perfect. And there are plenty of gimbals that will work with a little mounting setup. Just get a good gimbal controller. Best of luck.
thanks for the advise. I will keep you posted as soon as I got the X8. still work in progress.

Reaction score
I have a 3dr x8 and I don't have the nuts for the motors. I know the nuts are M6 but not entry. I need help.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
superjon