iOS 12 & 3DR Solo app

Reaction score
Good news and bad news. The good news is that 3DR's Solo app for Apple devices still works under the recently released iOS 12. I haven't found any new bugs... at least not yet. The bad news is that the bug that appeared under iOS 11 (namely, the live video feed gets lost when recording is started remotely in the higher video resolutions) is still present under iOS 12.

However, I just noticed that video feed is NOT lost in 2.7K mode (all three FOV's) IF AND ONLY IF the frame rate is set to 24 fps. I don't remember if that was true under iOS 11. So if you take videos for the primary purpose of grabbing frames later, then try 2.7K at 24 fps, which yields more detail than 1080 mode.

Reactions: fpvsteve
Good news and bad news. The good news is that 3DR's Solo app for Apple devices still works under the recently released iOS 12. I haven't found any new bugs... at least not yet. The bad news is that the bug that appeared under iOS 11 (namely, the live video feed gets lost when recording is started remotely in the higher video resolutions) is still present under iOS 12.

However, I just noticed that video feed is NOT lost in 2.7K mode (all three FOV's) IF AND ONLY IF the frame rate is set to 24 fps. I don't remember if that was true under iOS 11. So if you take videos for the primary purpose of grabbing frames later, then try 2.7K at 24 fps, which yields more detail than 1080 mode.

Joe, Thanks for the info. I am still running IOS 11.4. on my IPhone. Yesterday I tried to fly Solo when GoPro is in 2.7k, 24 fps and it works flawlessly. Unfortunately the live video feed flickers when I fly Solo when GoPro is in 2.7k, 25 fps. I use GoPro 4 Silver.

Another thing is that when I fly Solo and GoPro is in 2.7k, no matter the fps the still photos that I shoot do not save to Camera Roll on my iPhone. When I fly Solo and GoPro is in 1080 the still photos are saved to Camera Roll on my iPhone.

Thank you for this Joe. I still like the Solo Ap the best and am thankful to be able to update my OS again and not have to migrate to clunky open source ap.

Hi from Croatia, when i start Solo app on my ipad with iOS 12 i get video feed but when i push record video is gone. I finde solution. I start record and close app. After 10 sec I start app again and video feed is ok. I record all the time during a flight and cut in post. Its not good solution but works fine.

Hi from Croatia, when i start Solo app on my ipad with iOS 12 i get video feed but when i push record video is gone. I finde solution. I start record and close app. After 10 sec I start app again and video feed is ok. I record all the time during a flight and cut in post. Its not good solution but works fine.

Yes, that problem has been with iOS for quite some time (it's not new with version 12) and the solution you discovered is also used by many other members here. You can avoid losing the video feed by reducing the resolution and/or the frame rate. For example, most devices don't lose video feed at 1080 resolution, 30 fps. If that works, try higher resolutions and frame rates; your device might be able to start recording in them without losing the video feed. This solution might not be useful for mission-critical videography, of course, but when you're practicing or flying for fun it's a great way to avoid the annoyance of exiting and restarting the app.

Yes, that problem has been with iOS for quite some time (it's not new with version 12) and the solution you discovered is also used by many other members here. You can avoid losing the video feed by reducing the resolution and/or the frame rate. For example, most devices don't lose video feed at 1080 resolution, 30 fps. If that works, try higher resolutions and frame rates; your device might be able to start recording in them without losing the video feed. This solution might not be useful for mission-critical videography, of course, but when you're practicing or flying for fun it's a great way to avoid the annoyance of exiting and restarting the app.

I think I need Android tablet :-( .

This the the 3DR app dying an inevitable death. It has these video problems in the recent iOS versions. I would fully expect it to be totally non-functional in the next version or two of iOS. The 3DR app will not function at all in the most recent Android 9 (Pie). So the app is basically dead for new devices. Fortunately the Solex app for Android and Side Pilot app for iOS are active and do not have these problems.

This the the 3DR app dying an inevitable death.

I might be the last person still running Solo App 2.4 on my iPadMini 2 using iOS 9.3.2
Camera On-Off and Record all work, all camera settings can be adjusted while flying.
Shooting with GoPro Hero 4 Black.
I'm not sure what advantages would be gained by switching platforms to run Solex?

Running solex would be the advantage. It's loaded with features vs the 3DR app that ceased development years ago.

Just want to say to pedal2paddles!! Every time I see you writing something I PAY attention just want to say I think that you know your shit good job, if I ever need to know anything I know who am asking keep up the good work and straight out The crap[emoji90]!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela