How do you charge your batteries?

I am looking for the blade adapters. People are telling me to modify a plug by bending the blades. I am just not comfortable with this and have no problem investing a bit to find the ability to charge 4 at once. I am not looking at spending an extra $150 on Solo battery chargers to snip the ends off though. I am thinking of taking a deans connector, cutting it in half and using those. The blades seem to fit ok unless there is a better idea.

I have emailed 3DR and want to see what they say or if they will provide the battery connector minus the transformer.

I am currently running a Hitec X4 AC PLUS for a charger.

X4 AC+ 4 Channel AC/DC Charger | HorizonHobby

I am looking for the blade adapters. People are telling me to modify a plug by bending the blades. I am just not comfortable with this and have no problem investing a bit to find the ability to charge 4 at once. I am not looking at spending an extra $150 on Solo battery chargers to snip the ends off though. I am thinking of taking a deans connector, cutting it in half and using those. The blades seem to fit ok unless there is a better idea.

I have emailed 3DR and want to see what they say or if they will provide the battery connector minus the transformer.

I am currently running a Hitec X4 AC PLUS for a charger.

X4 AC+ 4 Channel AC/DC Charger | HorizonHobby
I like that charger...

I have 4 batteries, and 2 3DR chargers. I set my truck up with a 2000w power inverter, and use fork lift quick connects from the truck battery and the inverter. Charging 2 batteries at a time in the field sure helps a lot.

I received a response from 3DR. Sometimes I just shake my head. They suggested I find male XT60 connectors as they don't supply them. And exactly how is that going to help me? Either he is completely confused or did not fully read/understand my question, yet it was explained quite clear.

Back to waiting for a proper response of "sorry we cannot help you, buy 4 chargers and hack them up!"

I received a response from 3DR. Sometimes I just shake my head. They suggested I find male XT60 connectors as they don't supply them. And exactly how is that going to help me? Either he is completely confused or did not fully read/understand my question, yet it was explained quite clear.

Back to waiting for a proper response of "sorry we cannot help you, buy 4 chargers and hack them up!"
Not sure if you are not over thinking it a bit, but it really is not a problem to make your own. I have been using this setup for a couple months or more..
5PKqzQ

Not sure if you are not over thinking it a bit, but it really is not a problem to make your own. I have been using this setup for a couple months or more..
5PKqzQ

I prefer a more finished solution. I tried to make one last night and was really not happy with the result so I really want the connectors without the transformer.

Do you know what that 3rd (top) female slot is on the 3DR battery? Have you tried to open the plastic case on it yet?
Looking at the wires comming from this connector inside solo shows scl sca silkscreened on the board. This is not a single blade connector. It's actually two thin blades separated by a piece of plastic. One is for data and one is for a clock. This is part of solos I2C bus which is used for telemetry and control of certain components. So yes, its most likely what relays battery info back to either the pixhawk or solos internal computer.

5PKqzQ

Awesome - thanks for this. Is there a way to daisy chain this so you can charge multiple Solo batteries at once? Still learning about battery charging so any help would be great! Thanks

I have one of those HK Quattros, they are only 50W per charger (same as the stock Solo single charger) and the balancing is not that flash, although that doesnt really matter when charging Solo batteries as they are internally balanced.. I really only use it for the kids' Tamiya cars NiCd batteries, i dont use it for LiPos any more.
The Hitec X4-Eighty would be a better bet as it will charge at close to 1C and have 4 packs done in close to an hour.

The benefit of charging with a aftermarket charger is that if you know the batteries wont be used for a while you can just charge them up to storage level which will prolong their life.
Having them fully charged all the time whilst not being used is detrimental to their longevity.
Keep them at half charge (or stop them charging at 'half leds') if you know they wont be used for days or weeks.
Lipo batteries are stressed when they are full and they are stressed when they are empty, their natural state is 3.85v/cell or about half, at which they will store without too much deteriation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Burkeam
I have one of those HK Quattros...

Thanks so much - especially for breaking down the terms in simple English. really appreciate it! Seems like the X4 is the way to go - I definitely won't be trying any parallel charging after reading your post! Thanks again.

Keep in mind that the X4 is a DC charger, you will need a 12 volt power supply to run it, of at least 400W.
There are similar chargers that are AC/DC so you can plug them into the wall at home, and use them from your car while out as well. But be carefull doing this as it is easy to run your car battery down if you are chaging for hours at a time.

For example, something like this (getting more expensive) but 4 x 100W, AC/DC powered.
Ultra Power 100AC Quad Charger (4 x 100W) AC/DC | Buy Chargers

Ok good advice - I'll make sure I get the right power supply for running it in various locations.

I have 2 chargers for 6 batteries I wanted to go fly yesterday after about 3 weeks, but the batteries had uncharged to half power. I still spent all afternoon waiting to get them fully charged.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421