Homemade handheld Camera Gimbal

Reaction score
Knowing now that everyone on this forum has at LEAST 6 spare gimbals packed away in their closet, is there a way to make a DIY handheld gimbal to use with the goPro? at $40 for the solo gimbal, I feel like a lot of bang for your buck could be had with the Karma Grip running at $299
I know that it would need power, does it need communication with the solo board to level properly?
Hmmmmmm...

Knowing now that everyone on this forum has at LEAST 6 spare gimbals packed away in their closet, is there a way to make a DIY handheld gimbal to use with the goPro? at $40 for the solo gimbal, I feel like a lot of bang for your buck could be had with the Karma Grip running at $299
I know that it would need power, does it need communication with the solo board to level properly?
Hmmmmmm...

Brilliant idea, good question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The IMU that provides the reference for gimbal correction is most likely in the camera holder. The connection to the gimbal from the Solo is for things such as power, HDMI feed, gimbal angles and camera control etc. I would think the power requirement plus perhaps a reconfiguration of the motor wiring and IMU calibration might be needed depending on how the gimbal is oriented (how it is mounted). Disclaimer: I am talking in general terms as I have never cracked open a Solo gimbal. There are open source gimbal projects as well as individual hand-held gimbal efforts that are ongoing.

Last edited:
The IMU that provides the reference for gimbal correction is most likely in the camera holder. The connection to the gimbal from the Solo is for things such as power, HDMI feed, gimbal angles and camera control etc. I would think the power requirement plus perhaps a reconfiguration of the motor wiring and IMU calibration might be needed depending on how the gimbal is oriented (how it is mounted). Disclaimer: I am talking in general terms as I have never cracked open a Solo gimbal. There are open source gimbal projects as well as individual hand-held gimbal efforts that are ongoing.

you are wrong, gimbal uses IMU info from Solo´s PH2 connected via Mavlink

maybe i will find some time to connect a serial to USB adaptor and dump some Mavlink communications or even dump it with an arduino "on the fly"

gimbal teardown by Cyberblitz:

GIMBAL TEARDOWN - SORT OF (and now with some rebuild)

Reactions: Earpo44
you are wrong, gimbal uses IMU info from Solo´s PH2 connected via Mavlink

maybe i will find some time to connect a serial to USB adaptor and dump some Mavlink communications or even dump it with an arduino "on the fly"

gimbal teardown by Cyberblitz:

GIMBAL TEARDOWN - SORT OF (and now with some rebuild)
Nice documentation on the gimbal teardown. I need to read up more on the Solo architecture to see where things fit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig