Help needed on best drone for client

ETO

Reaction score
Greetings all.

I work for someone who wants to purchase a drone for undisclosed use. I have been looking into this but I am not familiar with this type of technology. So I thought it best to ask people who are!

It's going to be launched from a yacht so really needs to have some resistance to ingress of water (floats?)

I have been given a budget $50,000 US (flexible for right product)
And specification questions/requirements:
Max flight time
Waterproof/water resistant (best available)
Max range
Must have Encrypted video feed
Must have 4K video
Base station setup

He wants to be able to have a live feed on the yacht entertainment system so live broadcast on TV.

Are there other things I need to look at other than those listed above?

One of the drones/UAVs I have looked at so far has been the Aeronavics SkyJib 8 Ti-QR
http://aeronavics.com/products/ti-qr-series/

I cannot provide details of the client or the yacht that it will be flown from for confidentiality purposes.

Look forward to your feedback.

Last edited:
I mean for $50,000 budget you can pretty much get nearly anything you need for your client.

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I know it's seemingly a large budget and my client is looking at something of a professional level UAV. Some of the drones I've been sent are for use by the military, one was over $2 million!

I'm just looking for suggestions really of specific models.

Hi all. Thanks to everyone who replied. It's been helpful. My client has made his decision based on the spec lists and information I sent to him based in some part on what I learned from here.

He's asked me to buy a number if different devices including 'some' DJI Inspires and a few Lilys. The main drone will be custom made from Carbon Fiber by a security company. I understand the Lilly isn't actually for sale right now. Can anyone tell me when it will be available? On their site it's just pre-order.

It is pre-order and the delivery date was said to be February 2016.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if someone has entrusted you with $50,000 to buy a highly specialized piece of electronic equipment and you are coming here for ideas... I wonder if they have hired the right person, or might I suggest you subcontract one of us to help you.

I am all for helping other hobby flyers but if you have 50k to spend then you should consider spending the money for a true consultation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I understand your point however $50k isn't really all that much $$$ for many companies. Also I assume posting here was just one avenue of investigation and something I might have done as well-- as soon as I find someone with that kind of cash to spare. ;)

Of course one needs to take any advice you get on the Internet with the proverbial grain of salt, but there's apt to be some extremely informed, well qualified people viewing in a position to provide useful perspective & advice.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if someone has entrusted you with $50,000 to buy a highly specialized piece of electronic equipment and you are coming here for ideas... I wonder if they have hired the right person, or might I suggest you subcontract one of us to help you.

I am all for helping other hobby flyers but if you have 50k to spend then you should consider spending the money for a true consultation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Greetings all.

I work for someone who wants to purchase a drone for undisclosed use. I have been looking into this but I am not familiar with this type of technology. So I thought it best to ask people who are!

It's going to be launched from a yacht so really needs to have some resistance to ingress of water (floats?)

I have been given a budget $50,000 US (flexible for right product)
And specification questions/requirements:
Max flight time
Waterproof/water resistant (best available)
Max range
Must have Encrypted video feed
Must have 4K video
Base station setup

He wants to be able to have a live feed on the yacht entertainment system so live broadcast on TV.

Are there other things I need to look at other than those listed above?

One of the drones/UAVs I have looked at so far has been the Aeronavics SkyJib 8 Ti-QR
http://aeronavics.com/products/ti-qr-series/

I cannot provide details of the client or the yacht that it will be flown from for confidentiality purposes.

Look forward to your feedback.

To be honest at first reading of your post it almost came across as a Nigerian scam.
I've dealt with folks with more money than brains. If this is true your employer has misplaced his trust in you to get him a drone for whatever "undisclosed uses"!

Frankly the fact that you didn't hire a expert from among many qualified and tested companies proves you are at the very least just ignorant or worst stupid.

Instead you're getting advice from Internet blogs from posters that may or may not even dream to have 50 grand to spend on anything let alone a drone.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M