Hand launching from sailboat

It should. In Tower, it is just constantly updating the home location with your device location. So for that to work, you actually need to have the Solo itself set for Return to Home, not Return to Me. That would need to be set/verified using the Solo App or Solex first.

Also another setting that can save your a$$ is to change the RTH feature to HOVER instead of LAND. This will prevent it from auto bathing itself if you get distracted (FISH ON!!!)
I know how to set RTH vs. RTC, but where is the HOVER vs. LAND option? (I need this) Maybe I just need to go re-read the manual...

It should. In Tower, it is just constantly updating the home location with your device location. So for that to work, you actually need to have the Solo itself set for Return to Home, not Return to Me. That would need to be set/verified using the Solo App or Solex first.
No, I don't think so. When I was using it I would select RTM in Tower and not run another app. Tower was actually the first app to offer RTM and where I first used it, over a year ago.

No, I don't think so. When I was using it I would select RTM in Tower and not run another app. Tower was actually the first app to offer RTM and where I first used it, over a year ago.

On the Solo, the companion computer is managing the RTM and RTH, and executes it using Guided Mode when the signal is lost. The Solo App or Solex App are changing the setting on the companion computer.

If you have the Solo set for RTM, the companion computer is uses your Solo App / Solex App reported device location and navigates there using Guided Mode. If you have the Solo set for RTH, the companion computer uses the Pixhawk's reported home location and navigates there using Guided Mode.

If you are using Tower's RTM function, that is totally different. That existed long before the solo and companion computers. There is no RTM function on the Pixhawk at all, so the app function does it for you by cheating. That function of Tower is constantly updating the home location on the Pixhawk to match the device location. So when you lose signal, the home location on the Pixhawk is your last reported device position. In order for the Solo to make use of that location, the companion computer needs to be in RTH mode so it grabs that cheated home location from the Pixhawk. If you have the Solo's companion computer set for RTM, it will have nothing to use since neither the Solo App nor Solex are running to feed it the information it's looking for. Or worse, it will use really old location data from the last time you used it. I have no idea what the Solo will do when it can't find a device location from it's app. Maybe it will revert to RTH? Or maybe it will fly home to China?

On the Solo, the companion computer is managing the RTM and RTH... ...If you have the Solo's companion computer set for RTM, it will have nothing to use since neither the Solo App nor Solex are running to feed it the information it's looking for. Or worse, it will use really old location data from the last time you used it. I have no idea what the Solo will do when it can't find a device location from it's app. Maybe it will revert to RTH? Or maybe it will fly home to China?
China? Not so far-fetched an idea... Someone posted a log on here a while back that must have actually been the Solo systems initial boot since shipping. The 'flight' began in Malaysia (where I am guessing the GPS was manufactured), then took off west bound to a spot in the Pacific Ocean (?), then abruptly headed back east to a home in Texas for the majority of the 'flight' - all in 10 minutes. And people think 55MPH is fast, and that they don't get long flight times?? ;)

On the Solo, the companion computer is managing the RTM and RTH, and executes it using Guided Mode when the signal is lost. The Solo App or Solex App are changing the setting on the companion computer.

If you have the Solo set for RTM, the companion computer is uses your Solo App / Solex App reported device location and navigates there using Guided Mode. If you have the Solo set for RTH, the companion computer uses the Pixhawk's reported home location and navigates there using Guided Mode.

If you are using Tower's RTM function, that is totally different. That existed long before the solo and companion computers. There is no RTM function on the Pixhawk at all, so the app function does it for you by cheating. That function of Tower is constantly updating the home location on the Pixhawk to match the device location. So when you lose signal, the home location on the Pixhawk is your last reported device position. In order for the Solo to make use of that location, the companion computer needs to be in RTH mode so it grabs that cheated home location from the Pixhawk. If you have the Solo's companion computer set for RTM, it will have nothing to use since neither the Solo App nor Solex are running to feed it the information it's looking for. Or worse, it will use really old location data from the last time you used it. I have no idea what the Solo will do when it can't find a device location from it's app. Maybe it will revert to RTH? Or maybe it will fly home to China?

I'm not sure either, but for the user it's a distinction without a difference. Since the bottom line is the home location is being constantly updated from the device GPS location as it moves. Should controller signal be lost, the PH will return to the last 'home' location reported. It doesn't know where the location came from, it's just a set of coordinates stored as HP. When I was testing it, i was moving around and then hit the home button on the controller to determine where it would go to. Since RTM is broken on the Solo app, it could be that Solex is using the same method as Tower. I was curious so asked Kelly about his implementation of it. I would prefer it worked as it does in Tower, without the middle man (Imx).

With tower's method, you lose the ability say "never mind, go back to home now". Since Tower is updating the home location on the pixhawk, not the companion computer's ME location, you lose the ability to ever send it to the launch location again. I think.

With tower's method, you lose the ability say "never mind, go back to home now". Since Tower is updating the home location on the pixhawk, not the companion computer's ME location, you lose the ability to ever send it to the launch location again. I think.
Yeah, I wonder. I may give it a shot this weekend. I was playing with it in the office this afternoon. Once I chose RTM in Tower, it was still there even after rebooting the Android device and Tower. But it may boot to last setting in Tower. But once in the air, it will be interesting to see what it does to switch back to RTH. Of course, it would be easy for Tower to store the original HP and shoot it back to the PH as needed. We'll see..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M