Hair raising conversation with neighbor.

Reaction score
So, my neighbor came over today while I was flying. I was expecting him to be upset about the yard, as multiple people have been no-shows on the job and we don't have a mower. Instead he opened the conversation with "I don't want you flying that thing while my family is using our pool, I'd hate to have to blast it out of the sky with double alt buck"

Now, if I was in a public park, I would have landed and proceeded tell him how illegal that would be in a not so nice way. He's my neighbor though, and I still have to live across the street from him regardless of how this conversation ends.

My response boiled down to how highly irresponsible it would be to discharge a firearm inside a neighborhood inside the city limits, and that "We would have a problem" if he went that route. After a few minutes of logistical concerns (how the hell am I supposed to know you're in your pool before I take off?) I had abated him enough to come look at what I could see and how ridiculously close the drone would have to be to spy on anyone.

After seeing the footage himself his concerns were gone and he went back to being the friendly neighbor he's always been. After this he'll always be the asshole across the street but at the same time he's not going to cause any more problems with me operating over my own property.

Just a tip folks, if your neighbors think you're being shady or spying, just let them see your footage. They will buck at first, "I DONT CARE WHAT YOU CAN SEE!" was his initial response. With some patience though, you can convert people away from this train of thought.

"I don't want you flying that thing while my family is using our pool, I'd hate to have to blast it out of the sky with double alt buck".

Perhaps if you studied up a bit you could have a pleasant conversation with him about guns in general! :D

Buckshot is often labeled with the # similar to birdshot but it almost always has “buck” following it. For example: “#1 Buck” or “#3 Buck”. Once again, the smaller the number, the larger the shot size. With buck, however, you get the added bonus of #0, #00 and #000. Think of those as 0, -2, and -3 in the “smaller number scale”. The 0’s, which are also called “ought” are some big mamma jammas and typically the most readily available. Your double-ought buck is probably the most common you’re going to find and more than appropriate for hunting deer or stopping a home invader. It should not, however, be used for birds or clay shooting.

Haha I was thinking the same thing as he said it, I figured like 6 to 8 birdshot would be the best load, same as birds.

All in all it was just a redneck response to a perceived threat. It was a lot of fun telling someone like 30 years my senior that his plan was irresponsible though. Made me feel all adult and whatnot.

Perhaps if you studied up a bit you could have a pleasant conversation with him about guns in general! :D

Buckshot is often labeled with the # similar to birdshot but it almost always has “buck” following it. For example: “#1 Buck” or “#3 Buck”. Once again, the smaller the number, the larger the shot size. With buck, however, you get the added bonus of #0, #00 and #000. Think of those as 0, -2, and -3 in the “smaller number scale”. The 0’s, which are also called “ought” are some big mamma jammas and typically the most readily available. Your double-ought buck is probably the most common you’re going to find and more than appropriate for hunting deer or stopping a home invader. It should not, however, be used for birds or clay shooting.
I think the correct spelling for this usage is "aught", mean the "nothing" or "zero". As in this entry here:
Double aught buck

Reactions: jibcamera
So I guess I need to consider not skinny dippin with wife from now on...nah.

You know if I ever saw a drone hanging over head, I think I'd send my Solo up. I'd imagine I could scare the pilot enough to retreat or at least get the message to leave the area. I'm not into invading someone else's perceived sense of privacy. I think it sets a bad tone when people feel their privacy is threatened by this technology.

But sure, you taught that old guy a thing or two....

Yea I've had the exact same response from anyone concerned, simply showing them your feed and explaining a bit goes a long way. Never had anyone object to me flying anywhere by the end of the conversation and a short show and tell. Glad to see others taking the same approach are also having some luck killing the perv perception of flying a "drone".

Yea I've had the exact same response from anyone concerned, simply showing them your feed and explaining a bit goes a long way.

I'm very fortunate. I got into this stuff just when a few things were hitting the news. I went to my (very few) neighbors with my bird in hand and explained to them what I was doing and offered to help look after fields, fences and cattle. I can pretty much fly for miles in every direction now.

I'm sure there's been a few times when someone heard the "buzz" and a nieghbor said "oh, that's just Jerry with his drones". Sometimes it's really nice to be in the "boonies".

Jerry

.... or you could have politely explained that 10 years in jail is a hefty price to pay to make out you're a tought guy. Shooting at an aircraft is a serious offence.

neX:)

.... or you could have politely explained that 10 years in jail is a hefty price to pay to make out you're a tought guy. Shooting at an aircraft is a serious offence.

neX:)

Eh, it's the across the street neighbor. That seems like a good way to be right AND piss someone off at the same time. Not that there's not a time and a place for that too...

One could argue your neighbour has already thrown neighbourly love out the window by threatening to discharge a weapon in anger in the first instance. You will note I did say to explain it to him "politely". That said, context is everything, so in your situation I'm sure you took the path of least resistance, always a good idea IMHO. Time spent arguing with the public, is time not spent flying.
(The law is the same here in Australia, and we have WAY fewer guns in the hands of society, and I still have to explain this to some nutbag about once a fortnight.)

95% of people who have approached me have been positive and are curious as to how it works (and where can they get one). One of the best was when a guy came up to me in park and said his daughter had just learned about Pluto in school and was sure the solo was sent from there to visit! She wanted to know whether the visitors would be getting off their spaceship or were they just flying over? The only real negative experience was when a lady came up to me wagged her finger and said "I do not believe in guns but I wish I had one now so I could shoot your drone down!" I was taken aback because I was on edge of park flying over water but just let her say her piece and then move on.

Cudos to Sodiumnitrate for handling his situation the way he did. The best way to help educate the public about our hobby, is to show them what you are doing, and answer any questions they may have. With the influx of new pilots who may or may not be doing things the right way, it is up to those of us who fly by the rules and use common sense, to take advantage of any opportunity to help educate people who may have only heard negative feedback on our hobby. It is a great feeling to have someone come up while you are flying, with a negative thought process, and after showing them what I am doing and answering their questions, leave with a more positive attitude about it. I have even put my Solo into turtle mode and let people try it out. The look on their face as they see it respond to their commands is like watching a kid at Christmas. They leave with a smile, and a "I gotta get one of these" comments. I have yet had a confrontation that ended badly. Not to say it won't happen, but if it does, I will just pack it up and move on. Some people will not be swayed from their preconceived notions.

Reactions: Solo Keith
I'm very fortunate. I got into this stuff just when a few things were hitting the news. I went to my (very few) neighbors with my bird in hand and explained to them what I was doing and offered to help look after fields, fences and cattle. I can pretty much fly for miles in every direction now.

I'm sure there's been a few times when someone heard the "buzz" and a nieghbor said "oh, that's just Jerry with his drones". Sometimes it's really nice to be in the "boonies".

Jerry
I'm not quite in the boonies but have been very fortunate in that all my neighbors have been happy to see solo patrolling the skies. The folks across the street are retired Air Force and one has dementia and actually invited me over any time cause the man loves to just watch my birds flying. Seems a few minutes spent explaining and showing is really our best defense to the war on drones that the media seems to be trying to start. Kudos to everyone handling these situations well, that's the only way wel ever get everybody to see our side and be ok with our hobby.

I always fly my drone down the center of the street in front of my house and if I fly over any houses to get to the golf cource behind mine I make shure I run the drone upto around 350-400 ft before crossing to the course. Never had any issues with neighbors because they can see I keep as far away as possible from any houses or yards.

Reactions: Solo Keith
I always fly my drone down the center of the street in front of my house and if I fly over any houses to get to the golf cource behind mine I make shure I run the drone upto around 350-400 ft before crossing to the course. Never had any issues with neighbors because they can see I keep as far away as possible from any houses or yards.

I'm pretty similar. The only thing worth filming in my neighborhood is the sunset so I'm flying straight up to 350-390 feet without leaving the airspace directly over my own property 99% of the time.

The only thing about my neighbors don't like, is their kids all want one for Christmas after seeing it. Direct quote: "Mommy, text Santa and tell him I want one". I told him how I used to have to notify Santa using a pencil and paper. That said, I don't fly over their houses at anything less than 125ft unless I'm specifically taking a picture of the house for them.

The only thing about my neighbors don't like, is their kids all want one for Christmas after seeing it. Direct quote: "Mommy, text Santa and tell him I want one". I told him how I used to have to notify Santa using a pencil and paper. That said, I don't fly over their houses at anything less than 125ft unless I'm specifically taking a picture of the house for them.

Haha I hadn't considered that. It really took me by surprise because literally everyone else has pulled up and said, "That's so cool!" "How much did it cost?" (hate that one, why people?) "Can I fly it?" (no you may not.)

Reactions: nexxypoo
Haha I hadn't considered that. It really took me by surprise because literally everyone else has pulled up and said, "That's so cool!" "How much did it cost?" (hate that one, why people?) "Can I fly it?" (no you may not.)

Yea that question is my least favorite too and usually I try "you don't want to know, but you can get some others pretty cheap". We know the price is decent, but folks out of the hobby think we're nuts. It even funnier when they're afraid to ask in front of my girlfriend like I'm going to get in trouble. I can actually say kids wanting one cause we're flying is about the most valid and reasonable complaint I can think of on this issue. The others complaining are just uneducated on drones or doing illegal or embarrassing things they don't want to get out and need to get over it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks