Had a blast flying solo tonight

Reaction score
first off could not get any live stream. Landed solo and turned on go pro. Took off still no live stream. Restarted the app - still no live feed. Found out battery in go pro was dead. Took go pro out of solo in case I crashed. Then I just flew it. Orbit worked great. Cable cam perfect. Selfie flew just the way it was supposed to. Think everyone will be happier when the gimbal comes out. Flying it without video was great. What is supposed to happen when you hit the altitude limit? I'm sure mine is set to 150 feet. Have not changed the factory settings. Went up to about 200 feet and nothing happened. Had to bring it back down due to low battery.

I've done the dead Go Pro a few times. I have a couple, so one is usually charged, but I'm going to start just having one charging all the time while I'm driving my truck.

When the Go Pros are alive, I don't take off until I have a video feed. but that said, just flying is fun, too. :)

I thought if you exceeded the max altitude it would do a return to home, but you could take control back once it was under your ceiling.

Just checked the limit and it is set to 45 meters. ( Canadian Eh ). Took it past 60 meters and nothing happened. Just kept going up. I think it was still in orbit mode when I did it.

The manual says that when it hits the altitude limit, it just won't climb higher.

But people have been reporting that it starts to RTH when they hit the altitude limit.

So either they have a bug in the firmware, or a misprint in the manual. ;)

The manual says that when it hits the altitude limit, it just won't climb higher.

But people have been reporting that it starts to RTH when they hit the altitude limit.

mine hits the limit and just stops climbing, never had a RTH, strange.

Mine just kept climbing. Was definitely in orbit mode. Have emailed 3DR. I'll let you know their response.

Ensure your Firmware is at 1.05. When mine hits the Ceiling limit, The voice prompts you on the APP and then it engages Auto RTH. At this point you have no control, as soon as it goes below you height limit you may regain control.
RTFM.

Original firmware just gave me a message that my altitude limit had been reached. The next firmware (first office update) did a RTH.

The last two times I have took it up I got no warning and not RTH. It just stopped at the altitude limit that I had set. I am would not think they would inhibit this with the app but in my case that is the only thing that changed.

This happened exactly to me the other day, I pushed the 150' limit and it began to descend w the auto landing lights initiated. With me being a newer pilot I didnt want to push the solo too much yet unlike some of you much more experienced pilots. but I must ay I like that it does that, nothing wrong w being too safe.

This happened exactly to me the other day, I pushed the 150' limit and it began to descend w the auto landing lights initiated. With me being a newer pilot I didnt want to push the solo too much yet unlike some of you much more experienced pilots. but I must ay I like that it does that, nothing wrong w being too safe.

It definitely should NOT try to auto land.

It definitely should NOT try to auto land.
Well I'm heading out tonight to get more practice in so I'll see if it does it again but for my case I was quite sure I saw the auto landing lights turn on, if it does it again I'll post

Yea that would be dangerous. As example lets say you were out about 1000' and bumped the altitude limit. Once it starts to drop (and you realize this) your connectivity to the controller is diminishing as it drops in elevation. So good chance you wont be able to reconnect and take control. If you happen to be above a river, highway or Presidents motorcade its not going to be good !

Yea that would be dangerous. As example lets say you were out about 1000' and bumped the altitude limit. Once it starts to drop (and you realize this) your connectivity to the controller is diminishing as it drops in elevation. So good chance you wont be able to reconnect and take control. If you happen to be above a river, highway or Presidents motorcade its not going to be good !

haha motorcade, but I totally understand. Honestly since I am new I find myself struggling to even hit 150'
as I would just being using my solo for general shots of buildings and churches. Still its good to know what could happen, I appreciate that rrmccabe!

Reactions: rrmccabe
Hi guys, tried it again tonight in fly mode and orbit mode. In fly mode hit the altitude limit and stopped climbing. Did not RTH. In orbit mode it Kerr climbing above the altitude limit. Seems the limit does not apply in orbit mode.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421