GPS and Shield Upgrade Question

Reaction score
I have the latest mro gps u-blox Neo-M8N GPS and also the V2 Shield.
Before I tear into Solo are the compatible, IE shield fits with out mods?
I assume also that this is best setup, the Neo-M8N + the V2 shield.
If there is a better shield option clue me in!
Tim

I believe the 3DR V2 shield is to be the best shielding solution available when using the mRo. It is cut to an exact fit and is only $15. There may be shielding solutions that are cheaper and work as well...but none that work better.

After typing all the stuff below, I just realized you asked only about shielding options, not GPS options. But since I typed it all...I'll just leave it...sorry.

The two most popular options seem to be the HERE GPS system and the mRo Neo-M8N system.

HERE seems to be more accurate, is more expensive, and is an external "tower" device that mounts to the outside of Solo. People seem to be divided on the look external mounted tower, and opposed to a 'non-factory' looking solution...but it's performance is excellent.

The mRo is not as accurate, is cheaper, and is a direct replacement for the factory GPS board. While the mRo is not as accurate as the HERE, it is definitely more than accurate enough, and many like it's clean, out of sight installation.

Reactions: Coastwise
A long time hold-out using the RevA and the card board mod. I recently installed the mRo GPS along with the V2 shield. The mRo is a great solution along with the V2 and fits like a stock module with no mod'ing required.

V2 shielding is the best to be had for our application and limited spacing, as stock. Both an absorber and reflector, it's proven tech that solved the original GPS shielding issue. Seems reasonable to believe it will only improve further how the mRo performs.

It is recommended to perform a compass and level calibration when changing hardware.

Hello I bought the new MRO purple gps board back in early December when they first came out I also bought an isolation plate and a piece of 3m shielding from mro 7.5×8.5 cm what is the best way to install the 3m shielding there's enough to copy the stock copper shielding or should I trace the isolation plate and battery wall (V2) any input would be greatly appreciated

I copied the copper shielding with the 3M product and then used it between the GPS and the copper. A little unconventional maybe but works fine.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
I copied the copper shielding with the 3M product and then used it between the GPS and the copper. A little unconventional maybe but works fine.
I too double-stack OEM copper foil with the 3DR V2 across both my RevA and my one RevB (formerly mRo). Works a treat. My RevA acquire fast, and stay locked with typically sub-1.0 HDOP at altitude.

Great guy's I'll do that I'll let ya know how it goes ASAP thanks

I have the same, V2 shield and NEO-M8N-0-10 V2. Is it recommended to ALSO use the stock copper shield or is better not to use it with the V2 shield?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo