GoPro Karma drone

BAR

Reaction score
anyone got any thoughts on how the release of GoPro Karma drone is going to affect Solo? I wonder what the price will be and how that will affect solo/phantom/ other drones prices.

Because they're already late. Technology changes and advances faster than they're producing. What they're building NOW will be obsolete when it's released in November. Racing for Christmas is also a great way to release a product too early that isn't ready, which most of us have seen first hand :)

Look, they are tops in the action camera business, they really dropped the ball on the Session. It didn't sell. It had less features, less resolution, and was $400. They had to drop the price to $199 just to get them sold. They are not in the drone business, they are late to the game. They are now delaying the Karma to play catch up on features available on other drones right now. They will not be able to match the price or the features of anything DJI or Yuneeq has to offer. By the time they get to market others will have moved on to new features and lower prices. I just don't see them competing. There is talk that it will feature 360 degree video. Who cares. I think 360 video will go the way of 3D, sure it can be cool, but it wasn't the game changer that was predicted.

I wonder will they make it so that you can attach their existing line of cameras or will they go the dji route and have a dedicated camera?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

This notion that Gopro is too late is not very well considered. Don't discount the power of that brand. Have any of you naysayers considered the possibility that they're in development of a product, that when released will have features and benefits making their product competitive. Remember, this company has, and can get money for R&D and has experience in mfg. They also have the distribution in place. No, if they play this right, it could be a game changer. Actually, if it isn't, they shouldn't do it at all.

Have any of you naysayers considered the possibility that they're in development of a product, that when released will have features and benefits making their product competitive.

I believe the Karma had been set to release in the 1st half of the year, now it's been delayed to the end of the year. So even the existing feature set wasn't ready and will take at least another 6 months of development. And a product like this probably has a development time of at least a year, so the features it's going to offer 6 months from now are ones that will have been presumably state of the art 1.5 to 2 years ago when drone prices were in the $1500 range, now they're what? $800? So the Karma will have been conceived and developed in a drastically different market reality than the one it'll be released in, which is never a good scenario.

There's always the possibility they'll offer something drastically different from what's currently available, but unless that's the case, their prospects aren't great, name recognition or not. Look how hard it's been for 3DR, and they HAVE offered features the competition still can't match.

I believe the Karma had been set to release in the 1st half of the year, now it's been delayed to the end of the year. So even the existing feature set wasn't ready and will take at least another 6 months of development. And a product like this probably has a development time of at least a year, so the features it's going to offer 6 months from now are ones that will have been presumably state of the art 1.5 to 2 years ago when drone prices were in the $1500 range, now they're what? $800? So the Karma will have been conceived and developed in a drastically different market reality than the one it'll be released in, which is never a good scenario.

There's always the possibility they'll offer something drastically different from what's currently available, but unless that's the case, their prospects aren't great, name recognition or not. Look how hard it's been for 3DR, and they HAVE offered features the competition still can't match.

Interesting comments everyone. It's hard to say what will happen, but I agree with the delay in release being suspect.
One could say if GoPro don't nail it with this drone then why would they even bother...
The company I work for paid into the Lily drone (against my recommendation I must add) nearly 12 months ago and was promised release last feb. no lily drone release yet and the little correspondence is a bit weak. Still no idea when it will arrive. Some reviews have also not looked good for lily.
I'm going keep my faith and gut instinct with 3dr and get another Solo.
Cheers everyone

Reactions: pyrate
Or they could be partnering with someone like Yuneek or 3DR to release a rebranded drone.

Or they have some radical ide and just need to hammer out the other details.

Or there drone is perfect, but there were manufacturing issues. Perhaps they need a new computer chip qualified. That would take 6 months.

Or they want to renegotiate prices with suppliers. Or their distributors.

Or they stumbled into a patent they need to sort out.

Really, speculation is useless. This may be the most amazing thing ever or a flying plastic turd. Let's hold off to n the review until we see one in release form.

Reactions: Mauiwind
I wonder will they make it so that you can attach their existing line of cameras or will they go the dji route and have a dedicated camera?

So far cameras like that have not impressed me.
The X5 as the exception

theya lready mentioned support for existing GoPro products (hero 3 and later I believe)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig