Gopro Hero 5/6/7 and the Solo Gimbal

Reaction score
Thanks to @just_bruce for helping me out with a trashed gimbal to experiment with, I am on my way to fit the newer Gopro models into the 3DR gimbal.

Still some work to do with the controls and video feed, but certainly doable.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

3DPrinted adapter? Cut-and-hack-to-fit? I'd be very interested in making this more widely available as it progresses.

How much weight did you have to add to the back?

Thanks for doing all the work.

Reactions: RichWest
Impressive work so far. Look forward to seeing your continued improvements. Really interesting.

Curious if or how you removed the Hero Port?

Kudos to Bruce! ...3D print, three screws secure the holder...makes sense.

“Cut and hacked to fit” would describe it best :)
I put 2 of the bigger gimbal weights on the back which balances the gimbal perfectly well.
D4BA4A36-5655-4CD3-A567-634E18525CF6.jpeg

Well once you finish I'd love it if you could take some precise measurements. I'll model up a printable adapter off those measurements and some pictures.

It does appear he has removed the Hero Port. I could probably print a version that enclosed the Hero Port but that might lead to issues with the HDMI feed.....

The Heroport needs to be removed and the structure to be cut out as far as possible in order to move the camera to the back. Otherwise the gimbal would not balance since the Hero 5/6 and the 7 are heavier and more bulky than the Hero 4.

Hmm. OK.

Well I'd still be interested in some precise measurements when you've finished.

;)

If we could get some decent cad files I could print a few testers to get a precise fit. And maybe even a few to be sold later

You know there's a small and (not) very lucrative business here. People mail you their working/damaged gimbals (damaged as opposed to totally f*cked up)and pay to have them converted to work with a GP6 or GP7.

Reactions: Ralph E. Johnson
Probably. But likely VERY small. And likely lots more hassle than it might be worth. I was thinking design the adapters for printing and let anyone who is so inclined print and install on their own. For people I know to not be twits I'd even print a couple extras......

Probably. But likely VERY small. And likely lots more hassle than it might be worth. I was thinking design the adapters for printing and let anyone who is so inclined print and install on their own. For people I know to not be twits I'd even print a couple extras......
If you're referring to the advice I gave about using duct tape to "adapt" a GP 6 for the solo... I was KIDDING..... twine is way easier to remove....

For those of us with a 3D printer, you could sell a copy of the STL files! I'd happily pay....um..... well..... I got these magic jelly beans....

If you're referring to the advice I gave about using duct tape to "adapt" a GP 6 for the solo... I was KIDDING..... twine is way easier to remove....

For those of us with a 3D printer, you could sell a copy of the STL files! I'd happily pay....um..... well..... I got these magic jelly beans....
I like magic, and jelly, and beans! Sounds like a win, win, win to me... Lol. Personally I don't have a hero 5 or newer just figured I'd throw my printing expertise out there for whoever needed it. Pretty sweet idea though.

3D printing won’t work I am afraid. You will still need the PCB on the backside since it contains the hardware for the tilt motor.
And you have yet to remove the herobus connector from the board otherwise the GP 5/6/ or 7 would not balance out.
So it is easier to invest 5 minutes with a Dremel and do the cutouts.

3D printing won’t work I am afraid. You will still need the PCB on the backside since it contains the hardware for the tilt motor.
And you have yet to remove the herobus connector from the board otherwise the GP 5/6/ or 7 would not balance out.
So it is easier to invest 5 minutes with a Dremel and do the cutouts.
I am quite well aware that the PCB needs to be retained. However, it is entirely possible to print a piece which includes mounting points for the PCB, or a pair of pieces which will completely enclose the little board in the same position.

But, to each their own. If you can still indulge my measurement request at some point, I'd truly appreciate it.

Again, thanks for doing all the work thus far.

Yeah I'm completely aware of the task at hand, I just offered to print a nice little piece that holds the newer go pros and would tie all the electronics up Inna pretty little package ... I have built many drones now and know a fair bit about fuctionality and engineering but I don't play too well with coding, I'm Workin on it but it's literally learning a second or 5th language in my case. All I was saying was if u got a cad file or need help with a design feel free to contact me and we will see if we can get a prototype flowing here so we can keep solo goin.... Like I said it won't do me any good personally, I don't have not do I see myself getting a newer GoPro anytime soon, just trying to help.

Some more details. You need to cut out everything on the back so that the Gopro fits seamlessly with the backplate.
I also exchanged the original HDMI plug with a new ribbon cable (significantly less weight).
The pictures should give you enough information to take the corresponding measurements from your gimbal.
E3F7EBFE-35F0-4D6A-BA6A-A1148DC38963.jpeg70BE3884-DC56-4921-86BF-5DC4FA512EAC.jpeg0D5E949A-53A4-4B35-BD1C-5A5554715A36.jpeg28024997-A004-4FDA-9FEA-B7CACBF8264D.jpeg

Some more details. You need to cut out everything on the back so that the Gopro fits seamlessly with the backplate.
I think you need to sharpen the chain on the saw you used...;)

Again thanks for sharing your efforts and additional photos. If I were to do this mod I'd follow your example, just makes the best sense to the end results. K.I.S.S.

Reactions: vsasolutions
I also exchanged the original HDMI plug with a new ribbon cable (significantly less weight).
The pictures should give you enough information to take the corresponding measurements from your gimbal.
Copy That and thanks for the pictures.

Soon as I'm home and can print these in 1:1 scale I'll start modeling it up.

Did you run your new HDMI cable thru the gimbal at all or is it just routed straight thru the beauty plate?

It looks like it fits pretty well once u clear out the plastic, lol! Seriously tho it's not too bad looking. I'm guessing that camera don't have any remote functionality other than an HDMI output since the only means of wired communication is between the camera and the HDMI cable since the hero port was removed correct? Meaning you'd have to start recording before takeoff and have to land to stop or change any settings on it, which isn't that bad, I had to do the same with my hero 3 black...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc