GoPro Hero 4 Black replacement lens

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm pretty new here and I'd appreciate it if someone could help with information. I've scratched the lens on my new GoPro Hero 4 Black and need to replace it. Anyone have the stats on the original GoPro Lens? I've seen different ones for sales, and some that say 150 degree and others 170 degree wide angle. I'm not sure what the best lens to go for might be that is closest to the original and am currently not that knowledgable on the stats. Thanks in advance for any information!

Really depends upon what you want. I say this as a lot of us on here have replaced the stock lens with a straight lens to remove the "fisheye" effect.

Peau productions have great lenses but if you want to go Chinese, I can honestly say, I have 3.97, 4.40, and 5.40 in both peau productions and "cheaper" Chinese.

The Chinese ones are the same.
I would say though, if you are going for filters the best by far, that I have and tested, are the peau productions ones.

Different league to the "cheap" ones.

So, if I was you I would start with a 3.97 straight lens. Make sure it's M12 thread pattern or it will not fit.

If you go any higher you will need the supermount or you get a lot of jello effect. (Have to dismantle the GoPro to fit the supermount)

FWIW, the cheap Chinese supermount at £10 GBP is the same as the £40 peau productions.

I have both, I just wanted to compare. There is no difference between them.

Next, if you get a straight lens you will get the pink effect in the corners. If you don't want to do any post production work, you will need the "pink effect" removal software from peau productions. Not available anywhere else I have exhausted the internet looking for another way. ($50)

If you are ok with post production work there are filters you can put over the captured footage/photos that will remove the pink effect.

Just search on here you will find it/them.

In all honestly, a straight lens gives completely different footage. Nearly all the footage you will see on here are straight lens.

So my friend, the choice is yours..........

Really depends upon what you want. I say this as a lot of us on here have replaced the stock lens with a straight lens to remove the "fisheye" effect.

Peau productions have great lenses but if you want to go Chinese, I can honestly say, I have 3.97, 4.40, and 5.40 in both peau productions and "cheaper" Chinese.

The Chinese ones are the same.
I would say though, if you are going for filters the best by far, that I have and tested, are the peau productions ones.

Different league to the "cheap" ones.

So, if I was you I would start with a 3.97 straight lens. Make sure it's M12 thread pattern or it will not fit.

If you go any higher you will need the supermount or you get a lot of jello effect. (Have to dismantle the GoPro to fit the supermount)

FWIW, the cheap Chinese supermount at £10 GBP is the same as the £40 peau productions.

I have both, I just wanted to compare. There is no difference between them.

Next, if you get a straight lens you will get the pink effect in the corners. If you don't want to do any post production work, you will need the "pink effect" removal software from peau productions. Not available anywhere else I have exhausted the internet looking for another way. ($50)

If you are ok with post production work there are filters you can put over the captured footage/photos that will remove the pink effect.

Just search on here you will find it/them.

In all honestly, a straight lens gives completely different footage. Nearly all the footage you will see on here are straight lens.

So my friend, the choice is yours..........
Great! Thanks for your input

Reactions: speatuk
Speatuk, where did you get a cheap chinese supermount? Really want one but not for the killing peaupro make off of them

I got it from 4K lenses on AliExpress. Do a search on there you will find it. Think that one was about £30

Reactions: jetsetwilly
I ordered direct from 4Klens out of Hong Kong. AliExpress wanted too much sensitive information to complete my order. I appreciate that they must deal with a lot of fraud but I wasn't comfortable providing them with the information they wanted.

Original lens is a 2.97mm fisheye, but the 3.4mm rectilinear lens is a huge improvement if you can get one.

Bought a 10mp 4.35mm pens on AliExpress. 86 degree FOV. Pictures showed it fitting in waterproof housing easily too. The sample picture seem to have good edge to edge focus, and the distortion is less then one percent(.85). They sell what seems to be the 3.37mm pea lens as 3.4 but it's more expensive then other lenses on Ali at almost $50. I bought two of the other lenses for twenty! Always better to buy a pair in case one has soft focus on one side

I'm a bit concerned at having to almost strip the 4 black back to component parts to get the stock lens off eeeek

Main concern would be cracking the front cover

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That's the harder way. If you can grip it hard enough you can just unscrew it out. When I tried it that way I broke my lens mount trying the pry it off. The GoPro is sturdy enough to just twist that lens out

Reactions: jetsetwilly
4.35 lens will require the supermount. You'll get jello effect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc