GoPro Hero 3+ Auto Turn On?

Reaction score
I noticed in my other thread other people having the same issue I am having however to clarify The GoPro Hero 3+ Black does turn on when you POWER ON THE SOLO not the go pro before hand? I am wondering because I have done a factory reset i have waited for gimbal to initialize i am up to date and the the GoPro Firmware is up to date. I checked the Gimbal and everything seemed fine. The only thing I can think of is when I update the last few updates the controller freezes and the Solo will not connect and there are 3 green dots going from the Controller to the phone icon but they are orange dots in the app going from the iPhone to the Solo so maybe its not fully installing the firmware and if so is there a fix to this?

Hi Ryan,

My GP H4B if turned off, only shows it's charging when powering on SOLO. I have to turn the camera on manually, AND BEFORE I power up the bird.

I always turn on the controller, then the GP, then SOLO, then link iPad to the app. Waiting between each.
On occasion, I still have a "ghosted" shutter button on the iPad, but this procedure has cut down on reboots.

You might try deleting the app from your iPhone, reboot the phone, reload the app, and go through the update process again. I have had to do that also.

Saw your other thread, and am wondering why mine won't power on GP. My GP does stop recording upon motor shut down after flight. Another nice feature.

Hope this helps,
DS

Last edited:
I made a goof and was not current on my software. I should have checked my version. Mine powers on now after the update.

I'll get better at this. Have a good day!

yours does turn on now though yes my iPhone is up to date my go pro firmware is up to date and my Solo is too. I don't have the Hero 4 I only have the Hero 3+ so I have no idea?

Yes. Mine powered itself up several times in the last hour. I'm seeing others with the 3+ working OK.
All I can suggest is to delete and reload the app from phone. then go through the update process if the controller or app gives you a prompt to do so.

After the update today, I have

APP 2.2.0
SOLO 2.1.1
Autopilot 1.2.23
Gimbal 1.3.6
Controller 2.1.1
Controller Firmware 1.2.8

Is you phone still showing that it's trying to update by the green dots moving?

I had a "failure message" on first try today, but it went fine when I clicked "retry" on the screen.

Bumping this post. Running Android and GP 3+black latest software. I don't have initialisation of go pro on power up of the solo. Is that the norm for this model? Cheers for any help.

It is normal for the GP 3+ Black to have to manually power it on before Solo. It used to power up when Solo did, but we lost that feature a couple of updates ago. 3DR says it is because GoPro won't create an update for the 3+Black to give us that function again. I guess they are concentrating on the Hero 4, and beyond that. I can't justify spending the money to spring for a Hero 4 Black for the minor inconvenience on manually powering on the 3+ Black......At least not yet...:D

Reactions: hobo solo
I recently purchased the Solo, and have the GoPro 3+ Black. Sometimes the camera will power on with the Solo, and sometimes I have to power it manually. It is intermittent, and seems to require a manual power on about 80% of the time.

This is super frustrating, and any advice on how to fix the issue would be greatly appreciated.

I recently purchased the Solo, and have the GoPro 3+ Black. Sometimes the camera will power on with the Solo, and sometimes I have to power it manually. It is intermittent, and seems to require a manual power on about 80% of the time.

This is super frustrating, and any advice on how to fix the issue would be greatly appreciated.
There is no fix for that problem. As I said earlier, the problem lies with GoPro, not 3DR. GoPro would have to create and issue an update to fix the auto power on function, and they aren't going to do it. Other than having to power on before takeoff, my 3+ Black is doing just fine. Hope this helps. Safe flying......

I recently purchased the Solo, and have the GoPro 3+ Black...

The best way to "fix" the issue is to get a GP Hero 4 Black and don't update the FW past 3.x. Then, the GP will turn on and off with Solo.

3DR stretched the truth when saying the 3+ is compatible as some features are not. But like Chuck, I fly with a 3+ at times - and a 4 Black other times.

Thanks for the advice all. The strange thing is that it works sometimes. You would think that it would simply not work at all if there was a firmware incompatibility. I will sell the 3+ and get the 4 Silver this afternoon.

I cannot vouch for level of compatibility with 4 Silver, but do know that updating past version 3.x on the 4 Black will eliminate its ability to turn on with Solo. Ergo, if you ever need to update for any other reason, you'll be in the same boat. And I'm Coast Guard and know about boats! ;)

I cannot vouch for level of compatibility with 4 Silver, but do know that updating past version 3.x on the 4 Black will eliminate its ability to turn on with Solo. Ergo, if you ever need to update for any other reason, you'll be in the same boat. And I'm Coast Guard and know about boats! ;)

It's the same for the Hero 4 Silver, namely, firmware versions 4 and 5 aren't turned on by Solo.

Reactions: SARDG
It's the same for the Hero 4 Silver, namely, firmware versions 4 and 5 aren't turned on by Solo.
Yep, the Silver 4 doesn't turn on automatically anymore. Not really a big thing, but somehow I forget it every time I fly.

I just got a 4 Silver for my 2nd Solo. Before updating, which firmware do you guys recommend for it? I believe the latest is v5.0. It seems different versions are being run by other Solo pilots with the 4 Silver, so I was just wondering what opinions you all have.

Just found out the hard way that my GoPro Hero 4 Silver will not automatically power up on my Solo after firmware update v5.0 was installed. My GP would power up automatically before the v5.0 was installed, but now it won't. The GP still works fine, but must now be turned on manually before flight. It does however, power down automatically as it did before. I called GP support and they said it was an issue with the 3DR Solo. I told them it was fine before the firmware update was installed, per their recommendation, on their website. The support representative said he was not familiar with the 3DR Solo, so he had no recommendations. I asked if there was a way to return the GP to it's original firmware version and was told there is no way to go back and if there was, it would make the GP's operation unstable. My suggestion: Unless you absolutely have to update the firmware, don't do it unless you're OK with manually powering up your GP every time.

You can also downgrade your firmware back to version 3 to get that functionality back. The files are in one of the posts here along with instructions and it's easy to do.

Reactions: SARDG
You can also downgrade your firmware back to version 3 to get that functionality back. The files are in one of the posts here along with instructions and it's easy to do.
Thanks for the info, I'll look for the file.

Just found out the hard way that my GoPro Hero 4 Silver will not automatically power up on my Solo after firmware update v5.0 was installed. My GP would power up automatically before the v5.0 was installed, but now it won't. The GP still works fine, but must now be turned on manually before flight. It does however, power down automatically as it did before. I called GP support and they said it was an issue with the 3DR Solo. I told them it was fine before the firmware update was installed, per their recommendation, on their website. The support representative said he was not familiar with the 3DR Solo, so he had no recommendations. I asked if there was a way to return the GP to it's original firmware version and was told there is no way to go back and if there was, it would make the GP's operation unstable. My suggestion: Unless you absolutely have to update the firmware, don't do it unless you're OK with manually powering up your GP every time.
Having to remember to turn on the GoPro is a tiny price to pay for the value of linear mode.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150