gopro fw 5.0

Reaction score
Has anyone tried it yet? I usually upgrade immediately but I didn't want to risk losing any further functionality.

Reactions: SARDG
HERO4 Black/Silver update v05.00 | Oct. 21, 2016

HERO4 Black/Silver update v05.00

Highlights

• Highlights:
    • Enables Karma compatibility.
    • Adds Linear FOV.
Karma Compatibility

• Enables live preview and camera control from the Karma Controller,
    including starting/stopping recording, changing settings, and more. Enables camera control from the Karma Grip. To learn more about Karma, visit gopro.com/karma.
Linear FOV

• Linear field of view (FOV) captures video without the traditional
    wide-angle look, for even greater creative flexibility. Available only for 2.7K and 1080p video.

HERO4 Black/Silver update v05.00 | Oct. 21, 2016

HERO4 Black/Silver update v05.00

Highlights

• Highlights:
    • Enables Karma compatibility.
    • Adds Linear FOV.
Karma Compatibility

• Enables live preview and camera control from the Karma Controller,
    including starting/stopping recording, changing settings, and more. Enables camera control from the Karma Grip. To learn more about Karma, visit gopro.com/karma.
Linear FOV

• Linear field of view (FOV) captures video without the traditional
    wide-angle look, for even greater creative flexibility. Available only for 2.7K and 1080p video.
We know all of this... need to know the real-world horror stories from the field!

Did a quick test and i can´t see any difference to v4...

turn camera manually on, did not find the new "Linear FOV" either in solo app or in "capture" app

Did a quick test and i can´t see any difference to v4...

turn camera manually on, did not find the new "Linear FOV" either in solo app or in "capture" app
Available for 2.7 and 1080P only...

nope, not in 2.7 and not in 1080P - nothing !

At the updatescreen there was mentioned that this will only be available with the attached touch screen on Hero 4 Black

seems that this is a feature for the H4 in the Handheld Gimbal :confused:

let´s see when gopro will decide not to be compatible with solo anymore.....

Last edited:
nope, not in 2.7 and not in 1080P - nothing !

At the updatescreen there was mentioned that this will only be available with the attached touch screen on Hero 4 Black

Correct. Linear FOV works fine (actually surprisingly well) on both the Hero 4 Silver and Black, but you have to select it on the camera, not via the Solo app. In that regard it's just like all the other GoPro settings which are not selectable via the Solo app, which is to be expected, since the Hero 4 update is newer than the Solo app.

ah, found it in the Capture app: at 1080 you must be lower than 50 FPS and on 2.7K lower than 25 FPS (on PAL, NTSC coresponding)

but i cannot find any difference between Linear and Medium FOV....

Last edited:
not getting a karma...not shooting anything other than 4K30 and 2.7K60
keeping mine at fw4.0

Correct. Linear FOV works fine (actually surprisingly well) on both the Hero 4 Silver and Black, but you have to select it on the camera, not via the Solo app. In that regard it's just like all the other GoPro settings which are not selectable via the Solo app, which is to be expected, since the Hero 4 update is newer than the Solo app.
I've been unable to find it. How'd you set it up?

Well hell, that was strange. I'd updated to the new software as soon as I knew about it, but it took six more attempts to install before it stuck! But it's working now.

Would there be any reason to use linear if you have a Peau non-distortion lens?

NO. You would use 12mp wide. Loaded 5.0 on my non Peau 4 black and will test on my Pixhawk F450 when the wind goes away down here and the sun comes back out.

Regards,
David R. Boulanger

ah, found it in the Capture app: at 1080 you must be lower than 50 FPS and on 2.7K lower than 25 FPS (on PAL, NTSC coresponding)

but i cannot find any difference between Linear and Medium FOV....
So, if you shoot in 1080 with linear FOV, you still get the fisheye effect? I thought linear would eliminate it.

NO. You would use 12mp wide. Loaded 5.0 on my non Peau 4 black and will test on my Pixhawk F450 when the wind goes away down here and the sun comes back out.

Regards,
David R. Boulanger
Would also like to know if GoPro needs to be manually turned on in the gimbal. (As with v4.0). Thanks!

So, if you shoot in 1080 with linear FOV, you still get the fisheye effect? I thought linear would eliminate it.

1080 linear mode de-fisheyes the image just like the 2.7K linear mode does. However, the effective width is different, which is disappointing. If nobody beats me to it, I'll post some shots that directly compare all 5 relevant modes.

Would also like to know if GoPro needs to be manually turned on in the gimbal. (As with v4.0). Thanks!

Yes it does, unfortunately.

Reactions: Maddog
please make some shots with medium FOV also for comparing with Linear

1080 linear mode de-fisheyes the image just like the 2.7K linear mode does. However, the effective width is different, which is disappointing. If nobody beats me to it, I'll post some shots that directly compare all 5 relevant modes.

Yes it does, unfortunately.
Definitely would like to see the comparison. I'm on v3 and like how everything works.

Reactions: EROC
Reactions: Maddog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44