GOPRO Compatible Camera with SOLO GIMBAL-GARMIN Ultra

Reaction score
Hi all,
I searched, tried and finally found a 2016 updated 4K camera with all the bells and whistles that attaches to the gimbal: Garmin Ultra. The hdmi port connects to the gimbal, its a little bit of a stretch but I padded the gimbal with foam so the backpack adapter on the gimbal didnt scratch the Garmin. Then i attached some zip nylon ties and cut to length so the camera is secure to the gimbal. And take flight. Im sure the Gimbal is working extra hard because of the offset weight and torque and the hdmi cable is stretched but it works! I took flight over kauai beaches and its amazing, and I could still control the gimbal.
Go 3DR solo! hope this helps future soloists find the right camera.

Why didn't you just buy a compatible GoPro? The Garmin Ultra is just as expensive as a new H4B. You could have probably found a H4B used for half the price and have full functionality.

A couple reasons,
I really needed a new action camera for other things primarily and wanted one with all the bells and whistles, but still wanted to use the gimbal

I use the action camera more for surfing, hiking, skiing, scuba diving, biking, taking pictures of my kids in action like zip lines, and tracking my vitals much more than I do for the solo. But When I use the solo I want to take advantage of the great gimbal features.

So for the newer cameras I like the extra battery power, the higher resolution/fps, better sound, the voice control and LCD screen. Again most of these as mention before are not a reason to buy the newer camera for the solo but are a reason for other action sports. And as u said a new black was almost the same price, I do agree that I think I will wait a bit and I'm sure a used black will fall in price more significantly when the new hero 6 comes out. And when I have some disposable income I can get the black and keep it for the solo. The only problem right now is like u said I have to record the whole flight and then edit it later instead of using the onboard controls. It isn't really a problem for me because ild do it anyway.

I'm sure everyone is different in how they use the solo and for some the hero4 black is a no brainer. But I was excited to get the features I needed in a solo gimbal mostly compatible camera.

I don't know the specs of the Garmin camera, but the specs of the Hero 4 Black and Hero 5 (still in production) are very similar so although the H4B is very capable.
Not throwing spears, just curious. Thought maybe I was missing a magic camera or something.

I can't get picture with my solo it's a 4k action cam but not gopro

Hi all,
I searched, tried and finally found a 2016 updated 4K camera with all the bells and whistles that attaches to the gimbal: Garmin Ultra. The hdmi port connects to the gimbal, its a little bit of a stretch but I padded the gimbal with foam so the backpack adapter on the gimbal didnt scratch the Garmin. Then i attached some zip nylon ties and cut to length so the camera is secure to the gimbal. And take flight. Im sure the Gimbal is working extra hard because of the offset weight and torque and the hdmi cable is stretched but it works! I took flight over kauai beaches and its amazing, and I could still control the gimbal.
Go 3DR solo! hope this helps future soloists find the right camera.
Very Interesting! I use both Solo and DJI Phantom 4 for crop photography. I find the ability of the GoPro to take both video and still photos at the same time in the same flight to be very valuable and efficient for different purposes. But I need geo-referenced photos for stitching the images together in DroneDeploy. DJI does this, GoPro does not. But my Garmin VIRBS (old big versions) do, but they don't fit and are heavy. Per your note, it appears to me that the Garmin Ultra is smaller than the GoPro. It is clear that it will record geo-references, plus altitude, etc which is also useful. Can you verify that you can program the Garmin VIRB Ultra to do both video and still at the same time, and be started and stopped from the Solo controller? (I prefer Solex as the control app, but can be flexible) Thank You! Very Useful!!!

Very Interesting! I use both Solo and DJI Phantom 4 for crop photography. I find the ability of the GoPro to take both video and still photos at the same time in the same flight to be very valuable and efficient for different purposes. But I need geo-referenced photos for stitching the images together in DroneDeploy. DJI does this, GoPro does not. But my Garmin VIRBS (old big versions) do, but they don't fit and are heavy. Per your note, it appears to me that the Garmin Ultra is smaller than the GoPro. It is clear that it will record geo-references, plus altitude, etc which is also useful. Can you verify that you can program the Garmin VIRB Ultra to do both video and still at the same time, and be started and stopped from the Solo controller? (I prefer Solex as the control app, but can be flexible) Thank You! Very Useful!!!

You can use Mission Planner to georeference you photos during post processing. Camera just needs the have an accurate camera on board.

Hi Bob
I do like the geo-references, plus altitude, etc of the garmin so many metrics, especially overlaying that easily in the garmin software is a plus, but I have to say you cant start and stop this from the solo app.
However to me thats little concern because its hooked up the gimbal which everyone knows is a sweet spot of the solo. you get great video, and you can fly the solo first person from the ipad/iphone. But to start and stop video/pictures change settings is an advantage to using the older GoPro4, not garmin, but for me I just edit it later.
For me, I bought the solo to do recreational video, like when we were hiking or surfing in hawaii or california. I wanted the highest quality without shelling out 1K for a DJI and then shelling out another 400 for a state of the art action cam that could also to the rest of the action (scuba diving, surfing, biking, etc.). As shown before the Solo 6 axis gimbal is awesome, I just wanted to hook up one of the hottest new camera's to it with all the metrics, I would love to hook up the Hero5 but the garmin is just as good as the hero5, maybe better because of all the metrics easily integrated with the software (YMMV).
I hpe this is helpful for others that were/are in the same position as myself!
Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I have a 1080p 4k action cam, how come I can't get video with it plugged right into the hdmi cord from the drone? Can anyone help me please

My XiaoMi Yi has the HDMI port on the back, how do plug in the HDMI? Is HDMI in a different location?
Use an extension. I just shoot HD and skip fpv, seems to be either or. Maybe there is a setting for both?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S6IBNIQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
For FPV the sj4000 and knockoffs are better since the hdmi is on the side of the camera ONLY the jack is backwards so that is where the extension lets you flip the cord.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo