GoPro alternatives ???

Reaction score
Ok we all know about the freezing issues with many gopro's and because of it I decided to load my akaso 4k camera into the gimbal and use that for the time being. Of course the video isn't as good and I no longer have control over the shutter or anything for that matter from the app but at least I can do my recording without the constant freezing. I also miss not being able to capture photos while in the air. Another problem with the akason 4k camera is it wont record while streaming to the app. Either I stream or if I want to record I have to disconnect the hdmi cable and press record prior to takeoff. When the cable is connected and I hit the record button nothing happens. I have 3 other cameras that I tested and they had no problem recording while streaming but of course they are too large for the gimbal. So my question is, what other cameras have been fitted to the solo gimbal other that the gopro? Like I said it's great how you can control almost every aspect of the gopro but what good is it if its unreliable. I'm considering the Garmin Virb and maybe the Nikon Keymission but I'd like to hear from others also. BTW I have no problem modifying the gimbal in anyway as long as it continues to dampen correctly. Let me know...Thx

Btw here's a pic with the akaso in the gimbal. Works good and it least it doesn't freezeIMG_0693.JPG

Thanks for the write up, for now I'm sticking with the GPH4B with over 500 flights and have never had a freeze up. I'm always up for modes, please continue to inform the forum of your thoughts and idea's.
I think the forum would love to hear from you in the future.

Thanks for the write up, for now I'm sticking with the GPH4B with over 500 flights and have never had a freeze up. I'm always up for modes, please continue to inform the forum of your thoughts and idea's.
I think the forum would love to hear from you in the future.

Im glad to hear your gopro is functioning correctly, If only mine did the same:/ Will definitely keep everyone updated! BTW what firmware are you running on your H4B?

what card are you using
something is wrong with you gopo, I would fix the real problem rather than patch some fix together

what card are you using
something is wrong with you gopo, I would fix the real problem rather than patch some fix together

I'd rather patch than give GoPro more of my $ at this point. I've had 2 gopros fail on me and that's the reason I'd rather experiment with something new. I have a few gimbals so I got nothing to lose. I've used recommended cards The whole time none of them work. This problem existed long before I bought a solo, it just got progressively worst. My H4b is for parts only now!IMG_0695.JPG

that is your choice, I have 3 gopros, and have owned every major model they made
the only time I had freezing problems was the bad firmware on 3s that were corrected and when I had a bad card
I only fly the black and red extreme pro or plus cant remember which it is

Im glad to hear your gopros have served you well. Who knows maybe ill buy another down the road when I F up a couple gimbals Lmao. I needed a reason to do something different anyway :)

The recommended firmware on the GBH4B is ver. 3.00, I just bought two more at $200 each on Ebay and Craigslist.

As pyrate stated you may have another issue causing lockup and only use extreme pro cards.

On cyber Monday Best Buy had GBH4B for $299. Lots of people outside the forum are selling with the H5 out.

Yes it's definitely a hardware problem I got unfortunately. Like I mentioned above, I may grab another GoPro down the line. What do you mean by "selling with the H5 out"???

you might have a grey market go pro....did you buy from a reputable dealer. I think a lot like you do about buying electronics, you read the different specs and dive in with the choice made by the different literature you have read. There is a lot of scams out there, once I bought this awesome receiver from a girlfriend of mine, the Yamaha 3090 that her deceased father had purchased for around 10 k..truly phenomenal and surpasses the junk available today, anyways I had sold it and replaced it with another 3090....not the same machine, not even close...although it looked and weighed the same.

That's crazy I remember those receivers. I still have my original 1200s and my Allen & Heath rotary mixer if you know anything about those!! Lol Who knows what they put in those gray market electronics, but being that I live only 15 minutes or so from B&H that's where I usually buy all of my photography equipment. Everything from my 1d series canon all the way down to my other goPro's. This particular hero for didn't come from B&H but some of my other gopro cameras did and I ended up having problems with those too eventually. You're absolutely right I always research before I purchase which is one of the main reasons I'm going to try a different camera and sacrifice some functionality. When it's all said and done I may end up with another go pro but at least I'll give another company a go and see if they are any better.

Last edited:
Enem,
Do u use 3rd party battery on your Black4 ?
If you do, DON'T, as there is no thermal sensor on 3rd party battery while the GoPro original battery has it. Your camera life will be shortened fast.

However one weakness I do not like about GoPro hero4 is that the sole overheating protection sensing only is available in the battery and not on the motherboard.

So when we use our Black4 or Silver4 on a Solo gimbal, the solo gimbal also supplies power and this made the battery of the GoPro work less, heat less and the overheat protection is then not working effectively. I always use 100% fully charged battery when I fly my Black4/Silver4.

If you care to search in this forum, when some of us were testing how hot the Black4 is on the gimbal just doing stand by, you will see its very hot. Gimbal cover the rear side of the Black4 cooling area, hence Black4 gets hot. If we fly the Black4 and wind speed decent and not much hoovering, its all good, afterall no way we can fly the solo more than 18 minutes :)

Based on my ambient of 30C, I will not allow recording of more than 24 minutes non stop on Black4 at 4K, even naked without housing if I do not have some sort of wind/air flow , just 5 KM/H will do. This is why I still have original Black4 running healthy from Oct 2014...I watch the temperature real well. Overheating can also cause camera to freeze.

Enem,
Do u use 3rd party battery on your Black4 ?
If you do, DON'T, as there is no thermal sensor on 3rd party battery while the GoPro original battery has it. Your camera life will be shortened fast.

However one weakness I do not like about GoPro hero4 is that the sole overheating protection sensing only is available in the battery and not on the motherboard.

So when we use our Black4 or Silver4 on a Solo gimbal, the solo gimbal also supplies power and this made the battery of the GoPro work less, heat less and the overheat protection is then not working effectively. I always use 100% fully charged battery when I fly my Black4/Silver4.

If you care to search in this forum, when some of us were testing how hot the Black4 is on the gimbal just doing stand by, you will see its very hot. Gimbal cover the rear side of the Black4 cooling area, hence Black4 gets hot. If we fly the Black4 and wind speed decent and not much hoovering, its all good, afterall no way we can fly the solo more than 18 minutes :)

Based on my ambient of 30C, I will not allow recording of more than 24 minutes non stop on Black4 at 4K, even naked without housing if I do not have some sort of wind/air flow , just 5 KM/H will do. This is why I still have original Black4 running healthy from Oct 2014...I watch the temperature real well. Overheating can also cause camera to freeze.

Great info SPP! I've used stock and aftermarket batts. I did notice how hot the camera got while in the gimbal HOWEVER my problem existed long before Solo. Ive used the cameras for numerous photo shoots and I'm sure the heat was building during those jobs. Whats very possible is..... the excess heat from the gimbal finally did it in for good unfortunately. If I decide to purchase another gopro down the line I will certainly follow your advice. Much appreciated!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snarus