GOPRO 4 black 3.0 firmware for rollback

Reaction score
I'm new to Solo and am having a hell of a time seeing a video stream out of GP 4 black to Iphone6.

Had a chat with 3DR support and they said that they only updated to 3.0 and have stopped updating for Solo.
Not super pleased but it is what it is. Found a few a posts on YouTube ect with rollback updates 1.02, 2.0 firmware as well as 3.0 in an obscure forum.

I read the GoPro disclaimer saying that if you rollback you'll brick your camera blah blah blah...we won't support it...blah. I think they are using scare tactics which pisses me off even more. They probably want everyone to go out and buy a Karma. No thank you, Solo kicks ass once it's tweaked a bit.

Being super frustrated I decided I'd chance it. Tried every firmware I found and rolled each one back and tested with Solo. They all sucked in terms of the camera being seen by the gimble, connection issues ect. except for 3.0 firmware. The camera turned on when I powered up Solo. I was able to record, ect. Suffice it to say I think I have a bad HDMI port because when I connect to a monitor/TV I don't seen anything except black. *(&^$%$)(^&)(#*&!!!! Oh well.

It was a bear to find the 3.0 firmware which 3DR says is the last supported version so I thought I'd share it with anyone who is having issues with higher versions or can't find it anywhere.

Here is a list of versions I tried:

My camera is working fine except for the HDMI port which has nothing to do with (I don't think) with firmware.

Here is the link to GP Hero 4 Black 3.0 firmware

GP 4 black3.0 UPDATE.zip

If anyone needs versions 1.02 or 2.0 let me know and I'll share with you.

Cheers

I also upgraded the GPS -
mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N / 3DR SOLO Upgrade

Wow what a difference!

This may be old news to a lot of you here, I'm sure it is but I thought I'd share.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveReno
Man I wish 5.0 would work for me. Maybe I need to get a new camera.

People have reported dirty HDMI ports and cleaned with alcohol, but they are usually lit and green or scrambled. You would be probably be better off selling it to someone that doesn't care about HDMI. Than trying a repair,
blank.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif
IF300-028-1
they are not exactly like most SMD ones. Half the leads are under the others.GoPro Hero4 Black Motherboard you can blow this image up huge.

Thanks for thinking of others!
I switch between V,3 & V.5 when ever i need to features that V.5 offers, then install in.
But V.3 is my std. because it just works smoother. "hiccups"
I've no hiccups so far. Although I either take video or still shots during a flight and not both. The manual control that the Gopro can be set up for ahead of time makes it very versatile. I preset everything before flight.

Was on with GoPro chat for 3 hours. Bottom line is they can't help me with the Hero 4 replacement at 40% discount only if I buy the 5. although they have the refurbs they can't give me discount on those. They are really becoming full of s--t!
It be great is someone much smarter than me could find a way to make the 5 work be it on the Solo gimble or 3rd party. Oh well.

Was on with GoPro chat for 3 hours. Bottom line is they can't help me with the Hero 4 replacement at 40% discount only if I buy the 5. although they have the refurbs they can't give me discount on those. They are really becoming full of s--t!
It be great is someone much smarter than me could find a way to make the 5 work be it on the Solo gimble or 3rd party. Oh well.
But, They Replaced the Solo?

5.0 works fine except you need to turn the camera on yourself. You cant adjust shutter speed or some of the advanced settings from the Solo app but I don't see this being a problem. With all the added control you get with 5.0 I think its the way to go.

Is anyone using v5.0 firmware _not_ getting the cropped video on the video feed while recording in 2.7k/4K? (The video saved on camera is correct, but the feed over the wireless link is zoomed/cropped)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is anyone using v5.0 firmware _not_ getting the cropped video on the video feed while recording in 2.7k/4K? (The video saved on camera is correct, but the feed over the wireless link is zoomed/cropped)

I use 2.7K most of the time and have not noticed it. But I also use a Wide FOV with an aftermarket lens. Maybe a problem with different FOV's in 5.0. I don't know.

This just started happening to me and it's driving me nuts. Never had an issue before. It happens in both solex and solo app. Going to have a closer look at the HDMI cable. That's all I can think of.

It's a known issue with v5 firmware on both the Silver and Black gopro 4

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Fluxley and SARDG
Well crap. That totally outweighs any benefits linear FOV and shutter adjustments may have had!

Well crap. That totally outweighs any benefits linear FOV and shutter adjustments may have had!
I would disagree. Controlled shutter speed with a high ND filter and a "floating ISO" gives fantastic results. Linear FOV in 2.7K is limited to 30fps so its not the best part of 5.0.

That's how GP achieves linear FOV, by cropping the picture just as you would end up doing in post to get rid of fisheye.

That's how GP achieves linear FOV, by cropping the picture just as you would end up doing in post to get rid of fisheye.
I'm not talking about cropping as it relates to the sensor. This is crazy image distortion/ cropping of the HDMI output. Anyway, I can confirm here that downgrading to firmware 3.0 fixes the issue. All is well.

5.0 works fine except you need to turn the camera on yourself. You cant adjust shutter speed or some of the advanced settings from the Solo app but I don't see this being a problem. With all the added control you get with 5.0 I think its the way to go.

Hi, new to Solo and the more recent GoPro interfaces, but are you saying that GP firmware for the Hero4 Black prior to version 5 allowed a manual shutter speed assignment? And the Solo app also allowed this?

My primary subjects are bush planes... a trick to prevent the rolling shutter prop distortion is to trick the sensor into a slower scan like you would manually with a slower shutter speed to blur the props. Being able to control this on the GoPro would be huge, but the first thing I did when I recently bought the Hero4 was to update the firmware.

Hi, new to Solo and the more recent GoPro interfaces, but are you saying that GP firmware for the Hero4 Black prior to version 5 allowed a manual shutter speed assignment? And the Solo app also allowed this?

My primary subjects are bush planes... a trick to prevent the rolling shutter prop distortion is to trick the sensor into a slower scan like you would manually with a slower shutter speed to blur the props. Being able to control this on the GoPro would be huge, but the first thing I did when I recently bought the Hero4 was to update the firmware.
Version 5.0 has a manual shutter speed setting. 5.0 is all I have used on my Hero 4 Backs. I'm not sure exactly how much control of a Gopro the Solo app offers using V 3 because I have not used it

The Hero 4 is only able to output 480p thru the HDMI when recording anything above 1080p60 such as 2.7, 4K, or 1080p120. I have confirmed this with both V5.0 & V3.0 firmware. Some digging online suggests this is a hardware limitation.

Reactions: JBAlaska

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo