Gimbal not found (but works with gimbal buttons)

Reaction score
Running opensolo 4 and the gimbal says not found on the controller and in the firmware update but the gimbal works when trying to control it from the gimbal buttons. Any thoughts? I already checked the cable. Thanks

The gimbal was never opened and just stayed in the box since ~2016 until a few days ago so is there a way or need to update the gimbal firmware directly? Since I’m on opensolo 4 I was contemplating taking everything back to stock to let it try and do the preflight update but maybe there is a more direct path? The gimbal does work, both just when moving the solo and the gimbal buttons on the remote, it just says gimbal not found and doesn’t report back a firmware version. Thoughts? Thanks!

Reactions: badseed41
It happens to me to. When it bothers me, I just do a FC reboot from SOLEX. takes 4 seconds, gimbal gets recognized.
I might dive into it sometime, it does not bother me that much tbh

Reactions: RichWest
Good to know. Thanks. Do you lose any functionality with it not recognized? I can’t get it to recognize at all.

sure np.
Im not sure, really. I've only flown it a couple of times, and the only time I did SmartShots, I did the FC reset. I will try SS with "GIMBAL NOT FOUND" this weekend. I wonder also :)

Interesting. I put 2.4.2 back on everything and let it update so the gimbal then got fw 1.3.6 on it and then when I went back up to opensolo 4 I have no gimbal control and it says contact 3DR support.

Solex can control the gimbal but not the controller now. Side pilot can’t (since I don’t think the functionality is in the app)

Strange. Rebooted several times and let it sit. Now works fine. No errors.

But definitely had a struggle with getting the gimbal firmware update. Process was:

flash back to 2.4.2 on controller and solo.
go through the preflight update and then update back to opensolo 4 once the gimbal firmware was confirmed updated. I had to manually update everything from ssh/sftp.
Also, a lot of this process only worked on the android solo app an not iOS. Once updated back to opensolo side pilot or solex worked.

All good now

Reactions: spieky
Great you got it working.

So I also dove into it :D
I managed to get 2.4.2 installed on solo and artoo.
When I go to solo app (not solex), to check the gimbal FW, I see the little circle, just doing it's thing... never actually a number.
Is there any other way to check the gimbal FW?
I ran the first command, copied 2.4.2 on both with WinSCP, and ran the second command. no errors. Artoo gave the info on LCD, Solo just rebooted, and stayed there with red leds. I manually power cycled the bird and I guess it installed on boot. I think I did it correctly.

I still can't start recording from SOLEX, or change gopro mode (I have a feeling that this is connected to the before mentioned issue). Something I never really needed, but wanna try, just becasue it's here :)

this actually gave me a lot of trouble so I’m with you on the difficulties. I just have red lashes everything 20 times. I initially went back to some of the earlier firmwares but my gimbal didn’t actually update until I flashed 2.4.2 and went through preflight. If you go into the firmware info part in solex (somewhere in there) it does say which firmware you have on there but I never had any firmware version on my gimbal (similar time yours now) until I got it to update. Then it also updated the gimbal. If any issues. Just go back a firmware version prior and update from solex ahead to 2.4.2. I believe all red is sensors not calibrated but I may definitely be wrong (I just remember having the red ones repeatedly). Definitely flash back though if need be and then upload from there prior to opensolo.

aaaahhh, found it. Vehicle settings lol, poor reading on my part... still no gimbal FW :(
Which old FW did you flash first?
I tried 2.4.2 on both, controller and solo, I wasnt able to find any older ones.

By Preflight, what exactly do you mean? I think I must be missing something here..

Btw, I really appreciate it, taking the time to help me with this stuff. :)

So, just for the fun of it, I decided to go back in time :)
I flashed both SD cards with the 3DR fw and did the calibrations and such.
Still not able to see the autopilot and gimbal FW.
Controller still gives meSolo GImbal Not Found "warning".

I will gradually update to OpenSolo4, and see if (and when) anything changes.
This working from home deal gives me more time for that kind of stuff.

The thing that bothers me the most, is that I am a linux admin by profession and I have a degree in programming lol :D I should be able to figure this one out haha.

So, I was on holiday, and I had my Gopro with me (Without the Solo)... And it was giving me headaches... It would heat up, not powering up and this and that...
First... Im going ti get me a replacement.
Could be that my problems are camera related.
Plus, I bought another gimbal.. you know, to be sure :D

btw, I did the whole upgared, downgrade procedure a couple of times... with no avail.

HI

Could not make it work, so I got another gimbal, used. Slapped it on... Bam... I have gopro controlls in Solex.
To be fair, I also replaced the MOBO in the gopro. And got another gopro lol. Got two working now.

I guess I have to inspect the lower PCB of the gimbal, the one that connects to the Gopro.
For the time being, I'm gonna spend my time filming the newly fallen snow :D

Thank you all, for helping me out :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc