Gimbal Balance / Aiming With Non-GoPro Camera

Reaction score
I've seen some mods where a non-gopro camera is used on the Solo gimbal, and I am curious about how doing so affects the balance of the gimbal and its ability to precisely point at a given angle.

If I were to attach a small sensor (weighs only a couple hundred grams) to the bottom of the GoPro itself in the gimbal, would it still be able to precisely point at a given angle?

I originally used a GitUp Git2 HD camera in the 3DR gimbal and balanced it just fine using any kind of weight and some 3m tape. The gimbal needs to be balanced yes, but easily done with any type of weight. I've seen pennies used or various sized nuts. whatever works.

I originally used a GitUp Git2 HD camera in the 3DR gimbal and balanced it just fine using any kind of weight and some 3m tape. The gimbal needs to be balanced yes, but easily done with any type of weight. I've seen pennies used or various sized nuts. whatever works.
Thanks. Anyone got any good links explaining the balancing process?

Does it need to be balanced in all three axes? I'd want to put as little extra weight on the sensor as possible so it doesn't put any more strain on the gimbal than it absolutely needs to.

Thanks. Anyone got any good links explaining the balancing process?

Does it need to be balanced in all three axes? I'd want to put as little extra weight on the sensor as possible so it doesn't put any more strain on the gimbal than it absolutely needs to.
Try the Backbone for Solo. I have two. Makes it easier to balance when changing some filters. Depending on your sensor, you may not need to depend on glue or tape that could come loose in flight or in hot weather. (Several threads here about balancing props.)

Thanks- I'll be 3D printing a custom case for my sensor so I may look into this whole ribcage/backbone thing for inspiration before doing so.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado