Getting the Follow mode to work

Reaction score
Website
www.macswebs.com
I've tried a number of times to get the Follow mode to work. Two different Solos, same results. Same phone, so I'm assuming it may be something with the phone. I did a search and never really found a similar situaiton.

The phone is a Galaxy S4. Works great. Will soon have an 8" tablet, but that's another story. I have location services turned on.

When I activate Follow, the drone goes into a hover mode and sometimes looks at me and sometimes looks elsewhere. I can't move the drone with the controller unless I cancel Follow. The screen and options I get when I activate Follow are not the same as what is shown in the manual. When it starts, it starts in LOOK AT ME mode and there is no button for Follow. Beside the LOOK AT ME is a symbol of three horizontal bars. Pressing LOOK AT ME does nothing. Shouldn't I at least have two buttons, look at me and follow? Maybe this will work better with my new tablet.

Other preprogrammed features like Orbit and Selfie work just fine. I've got to be doing something wrong here.

I've tried a number of times to get the Follow mode to work. Two different Solos, same results. Same phone, so I'm assuming it may be something with the phone. I did a search and never really found a similar situaiton.

The phone is a Galaxy S4. Works great. Will soon have an 8" tablet, but that's another story. I have location services turned on.

When I activate Follow, the drone goes into a hover mode and sometimes looks at me and sometimes looks elsewhere. I can't move the drone with the controller unless I cancel Follow. The screen and options I get when I activate Follow are not the same as what is shown in the manual. When it starts, it starts in LOOK AT ME mode and there is no button for Follow. Beside the LOOK AT ME is a symbol of three horizontal bars. Pressing LOOK AT ME does nothing. Shouldn't I at least have two buttons, look at me and follow? Maybe this will work better with my new tablet.

Other preprogrammed features like Orbit and Selfie work just fine. I've got to be doing something wrong here.
Might be a silly question, but is the GPS activated on your phone? The App is waiting for GPS location data to be received from your phone/tablet. You should see the GPS symbol in the notifications bar at the top of your device.

It says it is checking and then seems to be happy. As I said before, the location services are on. Unless "location services" and GPS are different things? I'll poke around on my phone. I have location services set to the highest accuracy.

**Phone says in the high accuracy setting: Uses GPS, Wi-Fi, and mobile networks to estimate your location.

I have an option to switch it to GPS only, perhaps I need to switch to that. I'll try that later today if the fog clear out.

Last edited:
You have it set correctly. GPS only is not required. Have the follow options every worked properly in the past for you?

You have it set correctly. GPS only is not required. Have the follow options every worked properly in the past for you?
No, not once. It activates and the Solo hovers in one place and I can't get anything else to happen. It doesn't even always "look" at me. The only way I can regain any kind of control is to turn off the Follow function. Same thing on two different Solos.

That's why I'm thinking it has something to do with the phone. But it is up to date. Android version 5.0.1 if that helps. Running through the Solo App. Also have 3DR Services on the phone, but I think with the latest version of the Solo App, the 3DR Services is not used any longer (think I read that in the update notes for the app).

Well I'm drawing at straws here. Uninstall the 3DR Solo app, and uninstall the 3DR services app. Reinstall only the 3DR Solo app.

Go to maps on your phone/tablet. Does it accurately display current position? Once I had to accept a Google disclaimer before I could follow.

**Phone says in the high accuracy setting: Uses GPS, Wi-Fi, and mobile networks to estimate your location.

I have an option to switch it to GPS only, perhaps I need to switch to that. I'll try that later today if the fog clear out.

I live in an area with poor mobile network reception where I'm constantly making wifi calls to establish a clear call. I tried using follow but didnt have a great experience. Once I established the connection with my phone, I was able to get solo to follow but it's behavior was very erratic. It's almost as if you could see my present position being updated as the software determined the best solution. I was never centered in frame and was never precisely tracked. Once solo figured out where I was, it would jump drastically to keep up. I speculate the additional wifi and mobile networks solutions made things worse. I'll try using GPS only to see if it's better. The solo app follow smart shot doesn't seem to work as good as what I've seen being offered in the solex app. I'm about to pull the trigger on solex but need more hours under my belt before I saturate my brain with more inputs. Learning to fly comes first.

Got the 8" tablet today. It connected up fine and good lord is the screen bright and crisp. It will be great to see my live video on a bigger screen. It is about 4X the size of my S4's screen.

i'm going to miss having my maps auto downloaded since my cell phone has a data plane while my s7 tab won't have it...

...I'll try using GPS only to see if it's better...
Going by memory here... always dangerous... but I remember an old post by someone who had to use GPS only to get follow to work successfully. Don't remember phone make/model or OS version.

May be moot with the new 8".

Going by memory here... always dangerous... but I remember an old post by someone who had to use GPS only to get follow to work successfully. Don't remember phone make/model or OS version.

May be moot with the new 8"

Hope to find out very soon if the weather will ever clear up. It is warm enough but been rainy and drizzly the last few days. Screen on the cheap tablet looks fantastic and with static tests on my workbench it integrated well to the Solo App and provides an amazing picture of what the camera is seeing.

Last edited:
Just got an e-mail from Best Buy. I get a free appointment with Geek Sqaud so they can help me maximize the use of my new tablet. :D

1. Charge it.
2. Turn it on.
3. ????.
4. Profit.

Pressing LOOK AT ME does nothing. Shouldn't I at least have two buttons, look at me and follow?

Just a quick note: You have a "Look at me" checkbox that can be turned on and off. When it's on, you're in "look at me" mode. When it's off, you're not. So there's no need for a separate button.

Reactions: Jubalr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc