FYI - Battery Tray and IMU

Reaction score
Learned a lesson over this weekend's efforts to test a mod on my bird.

I was having some erratic flights, the bird was resonating while in a hover. Not severe enough to make it fly badly, but enough to notice all was not well.

My mod required that I access the guts often, underneath the battery tray. To help speed up the tweaking of the mod and then flight test, I only installed two of the four screw holding the battery tray area. It appears this was enough to allow vibration to resonate into the IMU. Which in turn caused the motors to compensate ever so slightly, basically a fight of flight.

Lesson, use all four screws to install the battery tray. These screws are holding the main board which is holding the IMU.

Good Luck!

Learned a lesson over this weekend's efforts to test a mod on my bird.

I was having some erratic flights, the bird was resonating while in a hover. Not severe enough to make it fly badly, but enough to notice all was not well.

My mod required that I access the guts often, underneath the battery tray. To help speed up the tweaking of the mod and then flight test, I only installed two of the four screw holding the battery tray area. It appears this was enough to allow vibration to resonate into the IMU. Which in turn caused the motors to compensate ever so slightly, basically a fight of flight.

Lesson, use all four screws to install the battery tray. These screws are holding the main board which is holding the IMU.

Good Luck!
Thanks- one of mine stripped out and I haven't been using it. Now to figure out how to best repair it.

Thanks- one of mine stripped out and I haven't been using it. Now to figure out how to best repair it.
What got stripped? If it's just the screw, get a replacement at the hardware store.

Same vibration, same error , found a mod where vibration absorbent rubber 3/16 thick is placed between the batrery tray and the main board thus making the bottom of the battery tray touch the rubber and secure the main board absorbing vibration . IT WORKS....

Same vibration, same error , found a mod where vibration absorbent rubber 3/16 thick is placed between the batrery tray and the main board thus making the bottom of the battery tray touch the rubber and secure the main board absorbing vibration . IT WORKS....
Can you provide further details about the type of absorbing rubber?

Nope- the board it screws in to.

Do you know if it's one that screws into metal, or just plastic? If it's just plastic, you could carefully put some epoxy in the hole (not fill it, just try to coat the sides, let it dry nice and hard and retap some threads. If it's metal, you could find a screw one size larger and, if needed, tap the threads to that size. If it's a metric screw, you can sometimes go to an inch screw to get one in between standard .5 mm metric sizes and vice versa.

Reactions: Maddog and RichWest
Do you know if it's one that screws into metal, or just plastic? If it's just plastic, you could carefully put some epoxy in the hole (not fill it, just try to coat the sides, let it dry nice and hard and retap some threads. If it's metal, you could find a screw one size larger and, if needed, tap the threads to that size. If it's a metric screw, you can sometimes go to an inch screw to get one in between standard .5 mm metric sizes and vice versa.
I think its the PC board. Either way, thats a great idea- I hadn't thought of that! Thanks, I'll try that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44