FPVLR, 6DB Dipole & Stock Antennae..An RSSI Test

Reaction score
Several members here have stated that they don't really want to go a long distance, but wanted an after market antennae for a better signal while within 1000' or less. I tried to make this test as fair and consistent as possible. All 3 antennas were tested without turning off Solo on the same battery. I went up 100' and flew out to 1000'. The results surprised me and I'm hoping @rrmccabe can chime in here with what he thinks of the results, as he has a better understanding of antennas than I do. Below are the results and screen capture at the 1000' mark..(sorry about the volume indicator. It was difficult to get the screen shots while in the holder).

FPVLR -65db
JZBr7z

6DB Dipole -65db
j7FJGe

Stock Dipole -62db
qVsFqS

The Players..
HwYI6u

The FPVLR were aimed directly at the bird, and both sets of dipoles were pointed down and out about 20deg.

Bottom Line.. Why did the stock antennas do slightly better and why was there not more of a difference between antenna types? Should users not going long distances stay with the stock antennas?

Fly Safe..
Jubal

Last edited:
Jubal, I'm only getting red X's where your images should be?
Could be my browser - I'm at work at the hospital with archaic computers that are only supposed to be used for charting on patients.

Interesting results though if the stock antenna perform almost as well as the others.

Jubal, I'm only getting red X's where your images should be?
Could be my browser - I'm at work at the hospital with archaic computers that are only supposed to be used for charting on patients.

Interesting results though if the stock antenna perform almost as well as the others.
Hey GN, Checked and images appear to be OK. The interesting thing as that the stock did BETTER than the others.. Remember, a lower # is desired on RSSI. Let me know if you still can't get the images on other machines..

Jubal

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Hey GN, Checked and images appear to be OK. The interesting thing as that the stock did BETTER than the others.. Remember, a lower # is desired on RSSI. Let me know if you still can't get the images on other machines..

Jubal

Images not showing up in Chrome

Pics are showing up fine on my Samsung Tab.
Thanks for posting this Jubal. Very interesting.

Pics are showing up fine on my Samsung Tab.
Thanks for posting this Jubal. Very interesting.
Sure thing..I would have thought there would have more distinction between the tests though.

I don't have an answer. But I dont pay much attention to the RSSI as I dont know how 3DR derives it or how accurate it is on the software.

So were you hitting RTH or just basing performance on the RSSI?

I find the Solo hard to fly distance as it SEEMS to pitch around much worse than my phantom and as soon as it pitches it breaks connection. I have to go slow towards the end.

I just flew out with the DBS panel today and its windier than last night. Today I was flying 5,500 feet and hitting RTH. No where close to my 12,000'.

So need to do more testing. Maybe I need to hand hold the panel with my fingers :)

I saw this post before I took off so I did pay attention to the RSSI and when I was a little past 5500 feet I looked and it was -78.

I flew back manual and have some data to add to your manual thread which I will do now.

I don't have an answer. But I dont pay much attention to the RSSI as I dont know how 3DR derives it or how accurate it is on the software.

So were you hitting RTH or just basing performance on the RSSI?

I find the Solo hard to fly distance as it SEEMS to pitch around much worse than my phantom and as soon as it pitches it breaks connection. I have to go slow towards the end.

I just flew out with the DBS panel today and its windier than last night. Today I was flying 5,500 feet and hitting RTH. No where close to my 12,000'.

So need to do more testing. Maybe I need to hand hold the panel with my fingers :)

I saw this post before I took off so I did pay attention to the RSSI and when I was a little past 5500 feet I looked and it was -78.

I flew back manual and have some data to add to your manual thread which I will do now.
No, None of them was hitting RTH, and they shouldn't as the signal strengths on all of them were well above that. Based on what others are getting RTH wise, -80 to -90. I guess I need to double the range and see if the results are similar. Maybe 1000' was too close?

Like I said we can only assume the 3DR calculation is working. I normally just fly until it hits RTH to gauge range. This 3DR RSSI stuff is too fancy for me.

I would not expect a big change between stock and the other dipoles but would think you would pick up a lot with the FPVLR if they are working OK.

Are the aftermarket vertical antennas 5/8 or 3/4 wave or something else? Sometimes even if you dont pickup any gain from them getting the radiation "current" lobe away from other things can help.

I have a 43' vertical in my yard that has a motorized tape inside it. It allows me to adjust the wavelength per frequency. Evey though the 3/4 wave length does not have much gain over the 1/4 wave length just getting that current point up and away from things helps.

Something is strange about the Solo... Not sure what. Hitting 1.3 miles today then almost going the same (1.1) with stock surprised me. I guess its still over 1000' difference.

This seems to be the most applicable thread for this. What rssi value were you all getting with it sitting before flight with fpvlr. I am getting negative 30 on a mountain in the middle of nowhere with an fpvlr. Is that right?

Interesting test, thanks for sharing it.

RSSI is a good indicator of what's going on, but I don't think it is the whole story.

With the fpvlr antennas being circular polarized they may be less sensitive to fading issues so they may appear to be more robust. Too bad the Solo antennas aren't circular polarized also, this would probably nhelp a lot also.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado