Fpv??

I ordered a Headplay HD that will be in next week. I will be using it with other drones, but I am already planning using it with the Solo. I purchased a 3' micro HDMI to HDMI cable, and then a HDMI to mini HDMI adapter. So I can do micro from the controller to mini for the Headplay HD.

As far as I have read, the HDMI output contains no on screen display. It is something I plan on looking at.

I am using a ITE-DBS03_VER.2 antenna for extended range. It is definitely better than stock, but has the downside of being semi-directional. I need to be pointing it roughly in the direction of the Solo. Which is easier at distance, but a pain when the Solo is overhead.
How's that Head Play unit working out?

Using two $10 Alfa patch antennas I have achieved 1.3 miles or 6900 feet in fairly optimal conditions. With the stock Omni rubber ducks I have gotten 3800'. This testing was at ~100' over a river and forest with the only residents being beavers. When they figure out WiFi I am doomed.

Here is the video. You can skip to the 7 minute mark for manual RTH.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Steve...I noticed you kept inching altitude upwards as you went out... was that to keep the signal from attenuation in the trees? I use an ITELITE DBS antenna and as long as I keep the solo above these loblolly pines here in Galveston Cy TX, its all good.
Dave

Steve...I noticed you kept inching altitude upwards as you went out... was that to keep the signal from attenuation in the trees? I use an ITELITE DBS antenna and as long as I keep the solo above these loblolly pines here in Galveston Cy TX, its all good.
Dave
Yes, I tried to keep it as low as possible while still keeping a good signal. Had a good vantage point up in the field near where I parked that worked well.

hey guys, first of all I am a newbie to the solo. Thinking of purchasing one to replace my phantom that I recently sold. Originally I was going to build my own flame wheel hex with all of the bells and whistles that I wanted. But now the solo has my attention. I wanted to get some opinions from some of you that have had a solo for a while.
First of all, can you use a "fat shark" fpv system on a solo? Also, what are the pros and cons of the solo? Thanks in advance guys!
I use the HeadPlay for my Solo and Parrot, and combined with the FPVLR antenna I get crystal clear video at some nice distance. Here are two of my reviews, one on the HeadPlay and one on the FPVLR if you care to see. and if you go with the HeadPlay all you need is an HDMI Micro to HDMI Mini cable. You will feel as if you are in the sky looking down.

Ya so I picked up a set of Dominator V3's today and it appears I have been the purveyor of bad info... I hate when that happens and I must come clean.

First, the Fat Sharks will NOT work at all with the HDMI out on the Solo controller without a powered HDMI to RCA converter box. Kind of a kludge but doable.
Second, the Fat Sharks work AWESOME with the Nvidia Shield Tablet and you do in fact get proper scaling and full OSD.

A local hobby shop was kind enough to let me sample the HD V2's and the V3's with my Shield Tablet, Solo and P3A. That alone was worth the $40 more than I could have got them for online. It was a good thing I did sample them too. I was going with the HD V2's but they did not work well for me. I would have been stuck with them as there is no returns for these online...

That is all. Fifty lashes with a wet noodle for me....

Last edited:
I use the HeadPlay for my Solo and Parrot, and combined with the FPVLR antenna I get crystal clear video at some nice distance. Here are two of my reviews, one on the HeadPlay and one on the FPVLR if you care to see. and if you go with the HeadPlay all you need is an HDMI Micro to HDMI Mini cable. You will feel as if you are in the sky looking down.
Grandpa Jake,
With the head play FPV system used with your parrot, do you get all of the OSD in the head play view? (Telemetry etc.)

So are these still the best options?

Really hard to see the smartphone screen in bright sunlight. Would like other options. I read in a thread (so many FPV threads!) that my Samsung Galaxy S8 could support plugging the USB C to goggles for better functionality than plugging the HDMI on the controller to the goggles (high latency between controller and goggles as well as no HUD info).

It would just be awesome if I was able to use Samsung VR goggles to pipe the screen to the phone as the VR goggles can be had for well under $100.

anyone try the Aomway Commander V1 for the Solo?
the reviews are great for other drones.

I have a set of Echine Goggles 2. They're bulky but they're 1080p and have HDMI and best of all they're only like $140!!

They work great!

Edit - to answer the question, I DO NOT get OSD telemetry info, just a clear view of the camera. I am using the stock solo software not solex if that would make a difference.

I have also hooked up to a TV via a 50' hdmi cable to controller

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela