Fpv??

Reaction score
hey guys, first of all I am a newbie to the solo. Thinking of purchasing one to replace my phantom that I recently sold. Originally I was going to build my own flame wheel hex with all of the bells and whistles that I wanted. But now the solo has my attention. I wanted to get some opinions from some of you that have had a solo for a while.
First of all, can you use a "fat shark" fpv system on a solo? Also, what are the pros and cons of the solo? Thanks in advance guys!

Oh yeah, and what is the max range out of the box?

Thanks Gary, how would I hook the fat shark system into the solo? And any idea what kind of range I would get with the fpv?

You hook it up to the usb mini on top end of controller. No idea on range. Depends on signal. Solo gets about half a mile range with low wifi interference .
I use fpvlr antennas. It will tripple your range.

Ok great, thanks. Where can I find those antennas and how much would it cost roughly?

Antennas: The FPVLRs are the best. You can also get them with amps for crazy range.

For goggles, you can hook up any googles to the HDMI out port on the Solo controller. The FatSharks might be overkill as they also have their own radio which you don't need but I don't know of anything better (disclaimer: I'm not familiar with the entire fatshark range of products. Maybe they have a model without the radio gear since you'll be using HDMI), . Maybe look into the zeis cinemizers as well.

The better Fatsharks come with HDMI inputs that connect to Solo controller. These are also the ones that do not have any RX modules inside. If you wanted to use them for analog quads then you need to buy the rx modules separate. Dominator V3 and Dominator V2 HD have HDMI inputs and no analog rx.

With Solo you will have no telemetry data OSD via HDMI just the video. This is a con of Solo and a plus for Phantom3. If you can find a tablet or phone that will output 720p via it's built-in HDMI output then you could connect to that and have a mirror of the Solo App screen in your goggles and therefore telemetry. The Nvidia Shield is a no go. Res too high.

Reactions: erikgraham
I bought the Alpha 7dbi for $30 and also own the FPVLR's. Use the Alfa set mostly because the FPVLR's have to be removed every time the controller gets put back into the packsack. If I'm in an open area flying out over trees and I wanna be confident I won't lose signal, I'll put on the PVLR's. The farthest my Solo has been away from me is just over a mile before I chicken out.

Reactions: Jbouza09
This is all great info guys, thank you so much for all the ideas and help! I like the idea of using the tablet with the HDMI out to the FPV goggles to mirror the tablet display so I have all of my telemetry etc. with the FPVLR's. Sounds like this way I will be able to achieve the max range of the solo without loosing my FPV.

Oh yeah, and what is the max range out of the box?
I have had my SOLO up to 675m @ 60m high ALL STOCK! so for u Muricans ( 2214.57feet @ 196.85feet up) away in distance then it did the Signal Lost and RTH was initiated. I usually get much less though as usually there is WiFi interference around but my average, all stock is about 0.5km (1640.42feet). We have Line of site regulations in Canada so much past that and you cant even hear or see the damn thing!

FUN, the dark side is!
Join, you must!

Reactions: Dutchy
I have had my SOLO up to 675m @ 60m high ALL STOCK! so for u Muricans ( 2214.57feet @ 196.85feet up) away in distance then it did the Signal Lost and RTH was initiated. I usually get much less though as usually there is WiFi interference around but my average, all stock is about 0.5km (1640.42feet). We have Line of site regulations in Canada so much past that and you cant even hear or see the damn thing!

FUN, the dark side is!
Join, you must!
Hey fellow Canuk, where you from?

I don't know about you CanadianSolo but most places in Canada if you don't live in town, 10 minutes and you're out of town in the open or in the trees. Unless you're in the open, it's fairly easy to lose sight of the Solo.

Hey you know what you could do is get an adapter from the iPad lightning port to HDMI and use that rather than the HDMI port on the controller. That way you'd have all the telemetry (and the GoPro OSD if you want).

Lightning Digital AV Adapter
That looks like a good solution as long as you can limit the resolution to 720p. The Fatsharks cannot resolve anything more for some funny reason.

Using two $10 Alfa patch antennas I have achieved 1.3 miles or 6900 feet in fairly optimal conditions. With the stock Omni rubber ducks I have gotten 3800'. This testing was at ~100' over a river and forest with the only residents being beavers. When they figure out WiFi I am doomed.

Here is the video. You can skip to the 7 minute mark for manual RTH.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: erikgraham
I ordered a Headplay HD that will be in next week. I will be using it with other drones, but I am already planning using it with the Solo. I purchased a 3' micro HDMI to HDMI cable, and then a HDMI to mini HDMI adapter. So I can do micro from the controller to mini for the Headplay HD.

As far as I have read, the HDMI output contains no on screen display. It is something I plan on looking at.

I am using a ITE-DBS03_VER.2 antenna for extended range. It is definitely better than stock, but has the downside of being semi-directional. I need to be pointing it roughly in the direction of the Solo. Which is easier at distance, but a pain when the Solo is overhead.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea