For smart-shot "cinematic" video clips, is there really anything a Solo can do that a Phantom can't?

Neither Litchi nor Autopilot on a P4 can match Solo.

Solo does a better job with:
- framing
- easing
- smooth yawing
- ease of use

Erik,

That was EXACTLY the info I was looking for, and by-the-way, agrees with the inferences I have been reading in other threads (generally speaking), and in fact, also agrees with my experiences with my P3P...there's frequently a robotic/hunting feel to many shots. Of course there are smooth sections/moments as well, but who wants to have to run a shot over and over again until it finally looks right.

Thanks so much for your post.

My Solo should be here by the end of the week...I'm really looking forward to flying and filming with it.

--

Bill

Last edited:
Erik,

That was EXACTLY the info I was looking for, and by-the-way, agrees with the inferences I have been reading in other threads (generally speaking), and in fact, also agrees with my experiences with my P3P...there's frequently a robotic/hunting feel to many shots. Of course there are smooth sections/moments as well, but who wants to have to run a shot over and over again until it finally looks right.

Thanks so much for your post.

My Solo should be here by the end of the week...I'm really looking forward to flying and filming with it.

--

Bill
I'm glad it helped. Don't get your expectations too high though. There are issues with the Solo, so be prepared for that mentally. Hassles updating firmware, slow to get GPS lock, etc. I've been pretty lucky and not had those issues, but people here will help you figure it all out. Good luck.

Buy some ND filters. Read the GoPro sticky.

I'm glad it helped. Don't get your expectations too high though. There are issues with the Solo, so be prepared for that mentally. Hassles updating firmware, slow to get GPS lock, etc. I've been pretty lucky and not had those issues, but people here will help you figure it all out. Good luck.

Got the ND filters (from previously using my GoPro for aerial video), and I'll be sure to read the GoPro sticky.

Also, I had heard about the GPS issue, and if my Solo has that problem (maybe 3DR changed the build in later versions of the Solo?), I'm going to follow this video to make the fix:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

--

Bill

Erik,

Can you point me to the GoPro sticky...for some darn reason I can't find it.

Thanks...

--

Bill

Erik,

Can you point me to the GoPro sticky...for some darn reason I can't find it.

Thanks...

--

Bill
In "Solo Discussion" at top of page. Could give you the link, but I prefer to teach a man to fish.

OK...thjanks.

I was looking in the "GoPro" section! :)

--

Bill

OK...thjanks.

I was looking in the "GoPro" section! :)

--

Bill
View media item 394Under Solo Discussion (the specific forum that these posts are in), second Sticky down:
Suggested GoPro Settings for Solo
...was started by Erik.

I just about refuse to give you the link. Gonna feed you for a lifetime.

ETA: I think you found it?

Jason that wrote many of the Solo's smart shots has gone to GoPro, which means we'll probably not see any more smart shots (albeit Solo does all it really needs to now), it'll also likely mean GoPro's Karma will be able to copy Solo's functionality.

Planning to get a Karma drone too anyway :)

The maths involved for the Solo smart shots originate from Edwin Earl Catmull who's contributed much to computer graphics so it's probably no surprise that in practice the splines work so well.

Edwin Catmull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alas Jason that wrote many of the Solo's smart shots has gone to GoPro, which means we'll probably not see any more smart shots (albeit Solo does all it really needs to now), it'll also likely mean GoPro's Karma will be able to copy Solo's functionality.

On the plus side it does mean we have the choice if switching from 3DR to avoid DJI. ;)
You are so right Ian. It is a shame that Jason was let go but I can see it from 3DR's perspective. They thought they were pretty much done with smart shots so they moved on.

On the good side, and as you say, just maybe the Karma will be the next "Solo" to challenge DJI and that is great for all of us.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig