First time flight problems and solid orange led

Reaction score
First Post. I will do a better introduction after I get in the air once.

I ordered a 3DR Solo from bestbuy.com which arrived today (was supposed to be a fathers day gift from my daughters). I was very excited (and still am to be honest) as this is my first real quad copter experience. My brother owns a solo and I flew it while visiting him in Florida. It was a blast, I wanted one of my own from the moment I put the controller down.

The solo appeared to be in good shape. After charging the battery and allowing any software updates to take place, I took the vehicle outside to a large wide open area and attempted to start it up, I have been scouring the forum and watching any youtube video I can find for days, so I can be as familiar as I can be when it arrived. After about 15 minutes of attempting to find GPS satellites, I started reading the help information in the solo app on my phone which stated that performing a compass calibration could help. I performed the compass calibration, and waited several more minutes while the controller said "Calibrating Sensors." After a while, it seemed like the controller had frozen as the message wouldn't change and no other buttons seemed to do anything. I powered off the controller using the power button and powered off the drone. After powering the drone and controller back on, the controller said "Waiting for Solo" which remained on the screen for about 10 minutes before I decided to take it all back inside. I took the props off inside and attempted to turn it all back on to see if the vehicle would connect, and it would not. After several attempts at this, I started looking at help documents and the forums to see if I could find any useful information. I decided that resetting both the vehicle and controller would be my best course of action as it was refusing to connect with the vehicle after several restart attempts. The drone reset went fine.

I saw the notes in the manual which prompted me to look through the vents in the back of the controller for an orange, red, and green light to see if the orange light was blinking. It was blinking, so I went ahead and attempted a reset. I was unable after several attempts to get the controller to reset. Each time I checked the orange light and it was still blinking. After about 7 or 8 failed attempts, the orange light had gone solid, no blinking at all. Bummer :/

I've contacted Best Buy and they are shipping me a replacement, but while I wait for that to get here, I want to see if I can figure out if this is something I caused or just a fluke? Did I not wait long enough on the satellites initially? Should I have done anything differently to prevent this?

Last edited:
Since BB is sending you a replacement unit, I take it that it wasn't one of those "Geek Squad" refurbished units that were on sale a couple of weeks that you ordered but a new Solo; the refurbished unit that I got was a disaster and I returned it literally an hour after it was delivered (full disclosure: many other members did receive working refurbished units).

It sounds like you did everything right and you just got a faulty unit (like 3DR isn't known for that, right?). You have some experience with a Solo so you already know that working the drone isn't exactly rocket science. The new unit that I got a month ago updated, paired up and flew perfectly on my second try (my first try involved some aftermarket propellers that I didn't install correctly and the take off didn't happen the way it was supposed to). Keep the good vibes and I'm sure that your next Solo will be fine.

Never paired the solo to the controller according to your steps. Did you insert a paperclip into solo to initialize pairing? If not the controller never knew a solo was anywhere near it. The solo has a pairing button inside of it, it also has an Orange LED that blinks when pairing. Here are the steps right from 3DR https://3dr.com/support/articles/pairing_the_controller/

I did attempt to pair it, but nothing seemed to work since i couldn't get the controller to reset to factory.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44