First flight.

Reaction score
Hey folks. DJ Wes here. Well, I just flew my Solo for the first time. I was very nervous because I've never owned or flew an RC flyer of any kind. I'm still waiting on my GoPro from Peau, so I flew it visually via GPS with no video feed. I didn't try any of the Smart Shots obviously.

I've been researching for over a year on what to get. I've watched what seems like 100's of videos. I've read everything I could find and even with all the disheartening news about 3DR, I still made the purchase.

I have the V2 GPS, but I still installed the 3DR shield just to make myself feel a little more secure. It only took about 1 minute to 'arm' and I was ready to fly. That surprised me after all the talk about trouble acquiring sats. I even bought the M8N but will wait to install it (if I even do). I also installed the Itelite antenna upgrade.

It couldn't have gone any better. It did take a minute or two to get a feel for its stock control sensitivity, but after that, I felt a calm come over me. It did exactly as I expected and never really 'scared' me after that first minute or so. I went through 2 batteries.

I'm so stoked.

Edit: I meant to ask; Have any of you had your Solo 'attacked' by birds? I had quite a few mockingbirds swoop down on it.

Last edited:
Hey folks. DJ Wes here. Well, I just flew my Solo for the first time. I was very nervous because I've never owned or flew an RC flyer of any kind. I'm still waiting on my GoPro from Peau, so I flew it visually via GPS with no video feed. I didn't try any of the Smart Shots obviously.

I've been researching for over a year on what to get. I've watched what seems like 100's of videos. I've read everything I could find and even with all the disheartening news about 3DR, I still made the purchase.

I have the V2 GPS, but I still installed the 3DR shield just to make myself feel a little more secure. It only took about 1 minute to 'arm' and I was ready to fly. That surprised me after all the talk about trouble acquiring sats. I even bought the M8N but will wait to install it (if I even do). I also installed the Itelite antenna upgrade.

It couldn't have gone any better. It did take a minute or two to get a feel for its stock control sensitivity, but after that, I felt a calm come over me. It did exactly as I expected and never really 'scared' me after that first minute or so. I went through 2 batteries.

I'm so stoked.

Edit: I meant to ask; Have any of you had your Solo 'attacked' by birds? I had quite a few mockingbirds swoop down on it.

DJ, I've never had my Solo attacked by birds, but they are very interested in it. Often changing coarse to follow for awhile (usually from a higher altitude) but none really want to get too close to the strange, fast, pissed-off hornet's nest sounding 'bird' so far...:)

Reactions: DJ Wes
@bluesgeek Off topic: I too am a fan of the Blues. I live in Memphis and I am a musician, so it's kind of expected. Everything from North Mississippi Hill Country Blues to Delta Blues to Memphis Blues to Chicago Blues to Texas Blues. You name it, I'm a fan.

Reactions: bluesgeek
@bluesgeek Off topic: I too am a fan of the Blues. I live in Memphis and I am a musician, so it's kind of expected. Everything from North Mississippi Hill Country Blues to Delta Blues to Memphis Blues to Chicago Blues to Texas Blues. You name it, I'm a fan.

Taking it PM... hell yeah!

I'm so stoked.

Interesting! I once had a bald eagle take out an rc plane I was using for aerial video. My plane stood no chance.
With Solo I'd really worry less about losing my drone than I would about the possibility of killing the eagle! We're talking serious jail time, folks.

I think you'd only have a problem if you did it intentionally or were provoking it. If you were just out flying and an eagle saw it and dive bombed it that's out of your control and unintentional on your part.

Reactions: SARDG and DJ Wes
I think you'd only have a problem if you did it intentionally or were provoking it. If you were just out flying and an eagle saw it and dive bombed it that's out of your control and unintentional on your part.
That may be but I ain't Hillary Clinton. A bald eagle has more protections in place than the Pope and in this PC world, intent doesn't seem to make a difference anymore.

Reactions: DJ Wes
Here's a compilation of a few shots I took yesterday.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nice shots DJ, thanks for sharing.

Adding more and more to my video montage.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks