First Flight - Solo

Reaction score
Well, I got my first flight in today just ahead of the bad weather. The Solo (gimbal not yet installed) worked as advertised (which is GOOD, don'tcha know), and I didn't crash it.

I was able to confirm that the Solo and the Controller were in working order by running through everything on the keyboard excluding the smart shots.

The one glitch was that I lost video feed from the GoPro Hero4 Silver at about 1:34 minutes , after which I wrapped up the shake down pretty quick; only about two minutes all told. As I drove home my heart was freakin pounding over what had gone wrong with the Hero or the Solo and what all customer service hoops I might have to jump through.

Guess what? The GoPro's battery was dead! It had just enough juice to turn on for a minute or so.....despite me thinking I had charged the hell out of it the night before......guess the wall plug to the USB to the camera port wasn't working. From now on its the Wasabi charger all the way!

jp w you bud, welcome to the forum. Have you tried the any of the other tips for your solo?
prop balancing, antenna replacement?

Glad to be here, Real Steel! Haven't had the pleasure of those other tweeks just yet.
Dr. Marvin recommends baby steps... The weather is not cooperating.

Tomorrow I attach the gimbal and hopefully test the thing on a buds acreage out east and see if we can do a full flight w/o the neighbors racking their Remingtons too loudly.

Cheers!

If you do the Gimbal installation I highly suggest you remove the battery tray to ensure no wires rub up against the Gimbal which can cause extensive problems. If you need a video of how to do that lemme know and I can post a link to help you out.

I was definitely gonna pull the battery before the operation.....is that what you meant?

If I remove the original mount plate and it looks too much like spaghetti, I'll hit you up, but from what I 've read and what I see so far, it should be a no-brainer....even for me.

I tell you, Squire, if I had no trouble with the gimbal install, then anyone can do it right the first time. I installed mine and then removed the battery tray (also easy) to check the wires and motor. As long as there are no wires in the way of the motor and it is centered, you should be just fine. You are going to love the gimbal after using the hard mount. Good luck.

Is the pre-set tilt button supposed to change the tilt angle any time I want or is it just a pre-set for smart shot stuff?

The control is allowing me to set the two tilt angles, but pushing the button does nothing

The left paddle seems to work fine.

I haven't had a chance to test it during flight yet.

Is the pre-set tilt button supposed to change the tilt angle any time I want or is it just a pre-set for smart shot stuff?

The control is allowing me to set the two tilt angles, but pushing the button does nothing

The left paddle seems to work fine.

I haven't had a chance to test it during flight yet.
I thought it came factory set to 0* and 90*
If it isn't go to where you want your first point then hold down the upper button till it vibrates, then go to your next point and do the same with button 2. That should set it, if it still doesn't work call 3dr as it can be a plethora of things including a bad controller

1st flight with the gimbal. EPIC FAIL! It seemed to work ok before I left the house w/o the motors running. After take-off, it just drooped sidewise aND wouldn't respond to controls at all. Took the battery tray out before flying and the wires look OK. Bumming big time.

1st flight with the gimbal. EPIC FAIL! It seemed to work ok before I left the house w/o the motors running. After take-off, it just drooped sidewise aND wouldn't respond to controls at all. Took the battery tray out before flying and the wires look OK. Bumming big time.

TSOG,

I too had the same problem. A simple reboot of all components solved it. Hope that works for you?

I also have had my head up my ass, and left the foam piece in the gimbal. It wouldn't pan down for some silly reason......until I removed the foam....I'm still learning....

With the tray removed, move the gimbal in all directions to make sure it moves freely and the motor is not touching cables or the controller board. Also make sure the cables are not causing any restriction in movement.

With the tray removed, move the gimbal in all directions to make sure it moves freely and the motor is not touching cables or the controller board. Also make sure the cables are not causing any restriction in movement.
Guess I'll do just that for the 3rd time....

I was just testing the thing (not in-flight, just sitting on the coffee table....the Solo , not me) AND IT WORKS PERFECTLY!!! So at the moment I'm assuming my wire placement is close, but not quite good enough for flying.....

I'm gonna give it a rest for today (although its a perfect day for flying)...I'll have every screw-head on this thing stripped if I'm not careful.

And BTW....I discovered totally by accident that I have to double-click the #1 and #2 auto-tilt buttons to get that to work....did I miss something? Am I losing it?

Reactions: Raybro
Guess I'll do just that for the 3rd time....

I was just testing the thing (not in-flight, just sitting on the coffee table....the Solo , not me) AND IT WORKS PERFECTLY!!! So at the moment I'm assuming my wire placement is close, but not quite good enough for flying.....

I'm gonna give it a rest for today (although its a perfect day for flying)...I'll have every screw-head on this thing stripped if I'm not careful.

And BTW....I discovered totally by accident that I have to double-click the #1 and #2 auto-tilt buttons to get that to work....did I miss something? Am I losing it?
I have to double click mine as well.

I have to double click mine as well.
Did they specify that in any of the manuals/instructions? If so I missed it and thought my gimbal malfunctioning all the more so!

But far be it from me to fault our benefactors at 3DRobotics....if they where half as robotic as they pretend, we would not have so many as these malfunctions!!!! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M