Finally!

Yes...This is what shows in the log, though the GPS looks good to me.... I believe ALT HOLD means altitude hold, and refers to the craft using barometer and accelerometer to maintian height and attitude, but no GPS, and so it will not maintain horizontal position (drift).

In my case, the unit also spit out a "pos horiz variance" error and about 10 seconds later instantly started doing 45 Deg angle flips as it was dropping (tumbling), but I guess first things first... I am hoping these are key clues, which is why I am interested to see if this repeats with others. That might tell me if it is a one off problem with hardware or if it is software (firmware).

Well, I can't add anything today, new props, went to a farm, burned 2 batts, low level flying (15ftish) between trees, up to 150ft 1000ft out...

Flawless...

Got so cocky, I fired up slow mode...

Hope it stays this way.
I just got 2 APA-M04's to try out..
Like I need that, I didn't loose any bars all day with the stock sticks..

I'm too chicken to go long, AND besides I can't see that far..

For the old newbie , this bird was a lot of fun today-

Hope your effort with 3DR pays off, @ least they respond even if the wheel has to squeak a little.

Update:
OK... Now I am getting angry again, and scared all at the same time...

I got a response from 3DR late today. The good news is that I am getting two new motors....

The bad news is that the email I got was from the same tech that I exchanged with originally. I had asked for a second set of eyes on the log files. What I got was "Ruben" asking his coleagues (somehow) if he was right, and Ruben writing me back, and telling me they say he was....

To recap a bit, Ruben indicated that my craft tumbling out of the sky (falling 18 ft in 1 second while tumbling) was caused by me pushing pause and being "disoriented". I was 20ish feet away from the Solo and it was 20 ft high in open space.... I had just taken off, and had forgotten to hit record on the GoPro. I wanted to look and see if OSD would show that. I didn't hit pause, and got ZERO errors.

I pointed that out to him and asked if there was an input to look at for that button, and I then got back that the Solo spontaneously went into ALT HOLD (Altitude hold) due to "GPS degridation". I pointed out that the Solo had 10 satellites and an hdop of 1.6 when I took off. It had the same when it went into ALT HOLD, and also when it crashed. It did get up to 12 sats and an hdop of 1.4, but only briefly.

I also pointed out that there was only slight stick inputs from me, mostly rotating and also tweaking the position of the bird, moving it less than a foot each way, and then POW... down it went, end over end, in one second, with virtually no stick input....

Luckily it landed above ground in ivy. But now it has two bad motors.... One was bad immediately and wouldn't let the unit start. I worked through that with one of the 3DR techs, removing the offending motor pod, and it booted. The other motor went out when I booted it up the next time. It started running normally, but then smoked. I didn't reset the Solo before or after...

So...Other than defend his original determination, Ruben did answer one question... He determined it wasn't a bad motor because there was no motor errors in the logs...

I had asked several questions in my email to Ruben (some pointed, some not) and none except "have you considered a bad motor as the culprit?" were answered. This was the second time I had asked some of them...

Ruben's second response just says the same thing as the first. The craft went in to ALT HOLD due to "GPS degredation" and I "lost orientation" and crashed the Solo.. That did NOT happen. I don't know whether to be more mad or scared....

Given that this back and forth is now running on, and that others might be seeing similar issues, I thought I would start to share my communications (good or bad) here, both for transparency (and it is easier than typing).

Keep in mind, I waited over a month, this happened on the first day (second flight) in granny mode, in open space, at close range. I have since spent hours on the phone, gotten automatically hung up on 3 times, and am getting angry at not getting straight answers to very direct questions, after asking twice already at this point.

"Hello Ruben,
I appreciate your response, but your response is also very dissapointing. Not only because of the repeated conclusion, but because it is just reiteration of what was relayed before. It lacks specifcs, and rather mostly adds anecdotal justification (my peers agree with me). I am a scientist. That really does not help me understand.

I do understand your determination. We got there several emails ago. Repeating that conclusion does not add clarity to it, or the conversation. I would still like specific answers to my questions. To date, you have not provided answers to the majority of them...

What I am asking for is very specific answers to very specific questions. To add context to the questions, I had placed them in the narrative, but took the effort to add "Question:" in front of each one. Did you miss them? Again, for me this is about getting to the bottom of a problem, not about being "right". FYI, It appears though that several people are having nearly the identical issue, as I am having after 1.0.5.

In any case, I will seperate the questions out here, so that they cannot be missed. Can you please answer these questions with specific answers?

Question: No stick movements that I made would have caused the Solo to tumble straight down. So what did? Please don't answer "operator lost orientation" ALT HOLD should hold altitude, not tumble down.. Correct?

Question: I understand no errors regarding the motors showed in the logs. Nonetheless, there are TWO bad motors, and one of them showed itself after Cyntia and I went through the system. Is it possible a motor can fail without anything showing in the logs?

Question: Ignoring the cause of the tumble for a moment, Is it normal for motor(s) to fail as a result of this scenario? They didn't hit anything except ivy...

Question: I understand their are two different pod types with different rotations. Is it possible though you have a run of bad physical motors?

Question: You keep mentioning the operator (me) "loosing orientation". What specifically do you mean by this?

Question: The Solo fell approximately 18 feet in about one second while tumbling. Nothing in the stick inputs would cause this. What specifically caused the Solo to tumble straight down quickly and violently? Please don't answer "disorientation" Assuming I was disoriented, that would not specifically cause a crash. Something I DID would. What was it?

Question: There were never less than 10 locked sats, nor an hdop above 1.6. Can you explain to me very specifically what GPS values caused the craft to go into ALT HOLD in this specific scenario? Please do not answer "GPS degredation" I understand GPS very well, including hdop, vdop and gdop. Be as specific as possible.

Question: Please explain to me specifically what the associated "horiz variance error" is, what (specifically) caused it? and what the system response is to it? Please don't answer "GPS degredation". I am looking for something much more specific than that (see above).

Question: Can you explain why I recieved no notifications of the errors at the controller or application? FYI: I am not the only one that is seeing this... I can point you others in the forums that experience the same thing if you like.

Again... I appreciate the motors. I really do. If I install them and they fry though it does me no good. If I install them and the craft does as I say again (tumbles out of the sky) they will do me no good. Especially since they are available only in limited supply.

I understand you are the expert here, but I am also an experienced pilot, with degrees in electronics, computer science, and 30 years experience in the controls industry from tech, to engineer, to programmer, to system architect.

I don't know this system that well, but I know systems VERY well, as well as the concepts behind this system. I can assure you, there is nothing you can tell me that is fundamentally not understandable by me. I don't expect you to teach me this system, but I do expect answers to direct and specific questions.

Respectfully

Earl Gray"

If interested... I will keep you posted...

Last edited:
Nice.

I got the same vibe in my reply.
A sort of, " you'll learn, meanwhile here are some suggestions" but no real answer.

You would think they would want to know why it could possibly tumble for no reason.
Or maybe they do and don't want anyone to find out?

Keep the update going, I for one would love to avoid another tumble and to be honest without any real explanation,I expect it every flight now.

Out again today and for my 1st night flight.

Wonder what it looks like tumbling @ night?
Maybe the light show will tell us something?

I will just tell you that logs or not, that action is what a motor failure looks like.
I really doubt they want to claim any fault.
The standard line is, you messed up... but present them facts and they seem to offer up support.
without these logs we would totally have been at fault.

I do have a concern with one of my motors as it sounds out of balance at idle on concrete, going to try other props or balance them and see.

When I had a 40ft GPS drift I sent the log, they told me I took off too close to a tree, I sent the info and proved that that's where the GPS moved the RTH as I was out in the open.That was the day before 1.05 software so since then, they convinced me 1.05 addressed this... now im not so sure but im going to fly it and they will own it if it has any more issues.

Good luck, hope the new motors arrive and fix your ordeal

I've been emailing 3DR just to help me feel I am a little closer to flying ... confirmed today "I will receive a free battery when my solo is shipped" ... as to when it is shipped remains to be determined

I've been emailing 3DR just to help me feel I am a little closer to flying ... confirmed today "I will receive a free battery when my solo is shipped" ... as to when it is shipped remains to be determined
Still waiting on my free battery. They said it will ship with the gimbal.

I will just tell you that logs or not, that action is what a motor failure looks like.
I really doubt they want to claim any fault.
The standard line is, you messed up... but present them facts and they seem to offer up support.
without these logs we would totally have been at fault.

I do have a concern with one of my motors as it sounds out of balance at idle on concrete, going to try other props or balance them and see.

When I had a 40ft GPS drift I sent the log, they told me I took off too close to a tree, I sent the info and proved that that's where the GPS moved the RTH as I was out in the open.That was the day before 1.05 software so since then, they convinced me 1.05 addressed this... now im not so sure but im going to fly it and they will own it if it has any more issues.

Good luck, hope the new motors arrive and fix your ordeal

I may have (again) spoken to soon... I REALLY want to believe that 3DR is the "good guys" and this is the right path.... I am having a harder time doing that as time goes on.

I haven't heard back from 3DR regarding my email sent yesterday morning (see above) and 2 weeks later I have no answers for my questions.... I did however get an email back from someone else at 3DR regarding the motors...

"Regarding the other motors that you will need to place and order for them on the website at the moment we are expecting for motors but we do not have any ETA at the moment we really apologize for this."

Of course I see no way to order motors on the website......

*sigh*

Six weeks in from my original order, I have 1 flight, a broken craft, no real answers as to why, and no ETA for a working unit.

I really hate being "that guy" but this is getting beyond ridiculous, and to the point off being degrading. I am seriously starting to look closely at the calendar to see when "30 days" would be up....

Though I am used to being on the leading edge, I am also not a masochist. If something doesn't change radically and quickly, I am throwing in the towel and sending the whole thing back....

Well,
That was a pleasant surprise. I got my Solo back today. Motors replaced, and a free set of props to boot. Turnaround time was less than two weeks inclusing shipping. Not bad at all. I spun it back up and it works like a charm. Fast GPS lock. Good WiFi. It really sings.

In the end, 3DR came through, made me whole and I am really liking this bird. The gimbal is obviously very important, and I really want my hands on that, though I could even see myself making another gimbal work on this if I had to...

JI wanted to give it a good test, and so I spent an entire battery in Manual and Stabilize just flying around and getting the feel of exactoy how those operate. I next flew out 1/2 mile to my other house to check the roof :) You know.... Because I can.... And then decided to try Tower (again)

This time Tower worlked GREAT.Exactly as expected Over and over. A little jerky, but only because I was making small circle of spline waypoints to test with, and used the defaults for speed height etc.. I created several simple missions and ran them. I can see now that I will get MUCH better at Tower....

I am also REALLY liking the voice alerts in Tower (I alert on everything and often) and will run both Solo and Tower together now for that purpose if nothing else.

I have been flying my neighbors Solo that he picked up at Best Buy while mine was in for repair. He has flown his Solo probably twice, and I have flown it about 20 times...Tonight I asked him why he got it and he said "I knew you were getting one and it looked cool" I asked him if he was going to keep it, and he said... "Probably, though I am not into them like you are" He asked me if I wanted to buy it if he decided to return it. I told him I was waiting on the gimbal, and that if it worked out and I make this a "production" unit, I would take him up on it. For now, I can fly both anyway ;)

Come on gimbal...

Well,
That was a pleasant surprise. I got my Solo back today. Motors replaced, and a free set of props to boot. Turnaround time was less than two weeks inclusing shipping. Not bad at all. I spun it back up and it works like a charm. Fast GPS lock. Good WiFi. It really sings.

In the end, 3DR came through, made me whole and I am really liking this bird. The gimbal is obviously very important, and I really want my hands on that, though I could even see myself making another gimbal work on this if I had to...

JI wanted to give it a good test, and so I spent an entire battery in Manual and Stabilize just flying around and getting the feel of exactoy how those operate. I next flew out 1/2 mile to my other house to check the roof :) You know.... Because I can.... And then decided to try Tower (again)

This time Tower worlked GREAT.Exactly as expected Over and over. A little jerky, but only because I was making small circle of spline waypoints to test with, and used the defaults for speed height etc.. I created several simple missions and ran them. I can see now that I will get MUCH better at Tower....

I am also REALLY liking the voice alerts in Tower (I alert on everything and often) and will run both Solo and Tower together now for that purpose if nothing else.

I have been flying my neighbors Solo that he picked up at Best Buy while mine was in for repair. He has flown his Solo probably twice, and I have flown it about 20 times...Tonight I asked him why he got it and he said "I knew you were getting one and it looked cool" I asked him if he was going to keep it, and he said... "Probably, though I am not into them like you are" He asked me if I wanted to buy it if he decided to return it. I told him I was waiting on the gimbal, and that if it worked out and I make this a "production" unit, I would take him up on it. For now, I can fly both anyway ;)

Come on gimbal...
Congrats Earl! Glad to hear your new Solo is working the way it should! Based on the problems that some are having, and many like me are not, I think it is/was a QC problem from the rush of product demand. I'm hoping they are getting a handle on it now so that more can experience it for what it is.

Fly Safe..
Jubal

Flew again tonight, experimenting with flight modes, and Tower. Building missions etc. Both birds flew flawless (though only one with Tower) and I must say it is VERY handy having two to compare...

I did notice that I couldn't connect to the second unit with Tower. It said something to the effect that an address was already taken? . I am sure it is a setup thing somewhere.

Anybody run into this with two units?

Also, I noticed that when I take off with the Solo app and then run a mission in Auto in Tower (the only way I have done it since my forst mishap) it seems to run the mission at what ever the current altitude is, regardless of what the altitude is set at in the waypoints. Is anyone else seeing this? Am I missing something?

Also still in search of that manual for Tower. I am really interested in some details regarding the various mission parts (Points of interest, Survey, 3D map, etc. etc.)

These are things I want to use for videography, but I really need to understand them well before trying them out with a flying piece of plastic :)

Flew again tonight, experimenting with flight modes, and Tower. Building missions etc. Both birds flew flawless (though only one with Tower) and I must say it is VERY handy having two to compare...

I did notice that I couldn't connect to the second unit with Tower. It said something to the effect that an address was already taken? . I am sure it is a setup thing somewhere.

Anybody run into this with two units?

Also, I noticed that when I take off with the Solo app and then run a mission in Auto in Tower (the only way I have done it since my forst mishap) it seems to run the mission at what ever the current altitude is, regardless of what the altitude is set at in the waypoints. Is anyone else seeing this? Am I missing something?

Also still in search of that manual for Tower. I am really interested in some details regarding the various mission parts (Points of interest, Survey, 3D map, etc. etc.)

These are things I want to use for videography, but I really need to understand them well before trying them out with a flying piece of plastic :)

I had a similar problem a week or so ago. The app would not connect and it said something like blahblah was already in use. I should have written it down because I wanted to email 3DR about it. I got around it by restarting the tablet.
As far as the altitude goes, I normally start off with Tower so I am not sure.

I have only started with Tower too. Running the solo app just for the video feed. Then I use the Solo app to continue flying after the mission or manually land. I wish there was better documentation that was all in one place, instead of pieces here and there.

I have only started with Tower too. Running the solo app just for the video feed. Then I use the Solo app to continue flying after the mission or manually land. I wish there was better documentation that was all in one place, instead of pieces here and there.
Re: Documentation.... Absolutely.... Hopefully there will be.

I thought I tried reboot, but maybe just restart. Will try today and report back.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44