Finally!

If you download "mission planner" you an use it to look at some of the logs. Good luck.

Thanks! Doing it now... Any tips?

Update: I downloaded, and installed drone planner and I was able to get it connected after searching for connection info (changed connection type to UPD). Saw that wasn't what you were talking about and am getting the Windows Mission Planner now...

I appreciate the help.

Thank You
Earl

Last edited:
OK, I have Mission Planner and after a quick study have opened the Solo tlog file (the same file the app sent to 3DR). I can see values in the graph viewer, but can't figure out how to export to Google Earth.

The guy from 3DR said it was put it in ALT HOLD so it "drifed" and crashed. I am assuming that is pause. Again, there was no drift or even time for it, but I also didn't put it in pause.

Can anyone tell me where I would find that value in the log viewer?

For those experienced with the platform, can I impose on you to share with me important values and how to interpret them in the viewer? Or maybe a link to a primer on the subject?

If I could get GPS values to KML or otherwise x-y-z-t values into Google Earth, the Solo path at least would be a lot more visual. I see the button to create a Google Earth GPX, but every time I push it, it just wants to open the log file again.

I really appreciate any help

Thank You
Earl Gray

Last edited:
Update 2: I was able to extract several different tlog files and after renaming them found "the one" that was the flight in question. I was also able to figure out how to "play" the file in question in mssion planner .There are several odd things about the file...

The ALT HOLD does show in the file, It shows immediately after arming and takeoff of the Solo... There is also another error "Horiiziontal variance error" which shows up just after armimg and takeoff. That makes no sense in the real world, as in reality, the unit was in granny mode (second flight) and I was (slowly) bringing the craft up and to the North at the time, which can also be seen from the GPS position data.

The GPS information in the file is a bit off in several places, in reaation to Google Maps, through the file as it shows the craft further North (in general) than it was in reality, and also shows the craft at one point (at launch altitude) going South through several thick bushes, and driveways where cars are parked, which just didn't happen at all, and in fact given the obsticles, it could not have happened.

In any case, in the file (up to the crash) you can see me clearly controlling the craft (via it's absolute position) with me launching it and slowly bringing it up and to the North, with some East/West movement along the way, as I was pondering whether I hit the record button on the GoPro (which I didn't) and that is why I let it hover, as I was looking to see if that would show on the tablet via OSD.

This was all happening on a clear hot day in near ZERO wind (wind is what the 3DR employee said was the culprit) And you can also see me tweaking the position North and South ever so slightly to get just the right spot, and hovering for a second... And then you can see it just start tumbling down. And it now.... has a bad motor..... even though it looks fine...

3DR, said this is my fault, and that the motor (which has no outward or physical indications of being bad) failed AFTER it dropped, even though the craft (luckily) dropped in soft blackberry and ivy and never even touched the ground.. And being that the motor failed appartently WHEN the Solo spontaneously fell... . it isn't covered under warranty Wow.... really? Really?

If this is the case, then I wll envoke their "30 day no questions asked" return policy, consider it a failed experiment, and go back to industrial controls, Robotics, RC planes, custom rockets, and balloons with APRS, as there is obviously some mystery magic involved with this particular UAV that I don't posess, and the requirements to fly it are obviously far beyond my lowly experience and capability...

I will let anyone interested know what happens as the story unfolds...

Last edited:
Oh boy...

"Pilot Error"
"The wind took it"

How bout your motor craped out?

Here is what they gave me after taking the weekend off..

"
Thank you for contacting Technical Support.

That's OK sir, everyone of us were noobs at some point, crashing and learning is part of the fun :D
Recommend that you fly on Turtle mode and once you have mastered it raise the speed by one, you'll get the hang of it really fast, trust me ;)

I checked the logs sir, unfortunately I was unable to find any issue recorded on them :(
In the meantime I would recommend flying in an open area away from trees and tall objects, also flying below trees is not recommended.
The new update should correct GPS issues when flying on these environments.

If you are able to fly in an open area and send the logs again it will really be helpful.
Another recommendation is to fly with the WiFi on the GoPro turned off.

Do let me know if you continue to have such issues.

Did Solo suffered any other damages besides the props?

Let me know :D

Have a good Day!
Francisco A.
[Technical Support Engineer][English-Spanish Support]

I never got a chance to get out of turtle....
Wifi was off, I was above the trees and everything else when it flipped out.
And I never flew it without the update anywhere.
I wonder if he actually even read the logs, he obviously didn't read my email... I'm guessing they are really swamped.
New props on the way, we will see....

Oh boy...

"Pilot Error"
"The wind took it"

How bout your motor craped out?

Here is what they gave me after taking the weekend off..

"
Thank you for contacting Technical Support.

That's OK sir, everyone of us were noobs at some point, crashing and learning is part of the fun :D
Recommend that you fly on Turtle mode and once you have mastered it raise the speed by one, you'll get the hang of it really fast, trust me ;)

I checked the logs sir, unfortunately I was unable to find any issue recorded on them :(
In the meantime I would recommend flying in an open area away from trees and tall objects, also flying below trees is not recommended.
The new update should correct GPS issues when flying on these environments.

If you are able to fly in an open area and send the logs again it will really be helpful.
Another recommendation is to fly with the WiFi on the GoPro turned off.

Do let me know if you continue to have such issues.

Did Solo suffered any other damages besides the props?

Let me know :D

Have a good Day!
Francisco A.
[Technical Support Engineer][English-Spanish Support]

I never got a chance to get out of turtle....
Wifi was off, I was above the trees and everything else when it flipped out.
And I never flew it without the update anywhere.
I wonder if he actually even read the logs, he obviously didn't read my email... I'm guessing they are really swamped.
New props on the way, we will see....
Thanks... I guess misery loves company :)

This is really making me uncomfortable though... I actually had some reverence for 3DR,and decided to go with the "good guys" rather than DJI because of it.... Lots of delays (just got the bird that same day) was VERY careful.....and now this happens...

I am pretty deflated. The whole thing kinda diminishes my faith in humanity... and I am dissapointed with 3DR for sure. I so want this to be good, but I have also learned that sometimes when something is bad like this, just to stop. I am getting that "feeling" now with this, and the last time I did that and ignored it, I really regretted it.

I bought a FPVLR, the backback, batteries, props, etc. etc. but I am not going to keep throwing good money after bad, especially if the company won't own it's problems....

Though I now don't think it was someone elses files, I am hoping it is a rogue interpretation, and after I explained what was acttually happeneing (in an email) sfter looking at the logs myself, that they will reconsider. If not, I will noit back down. I could care less about the $60, but it means there could be something really wrong with my Solo, and that with a company not admitting it, or even considering it, is a really bad deal...

Today will be make or break for me. If they don't pull thier heads out, my Solo will be going back along with everything that came (or will come) with it....

Last edited:
Why don't some of you guys with problems post data flash logs pulled with the help of MissionPlanner. I am sure there are people here that can would like to see them and possibly offer a second opinion.

Tried to upload my zip file, and then just one tlog file earlier but site says its to big.... Trying dropbox now

This is the file of me making passes over my house (see narative above). I shows you flying ability and thats about it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2331005/solo1.tlog

And here is the file where it tumbled. I had just repositioned the camera to get the legs out of the picture... Unfortunately forgot to hit record again...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2331005/solo2.tlog

I am VERY curious if you can see the stick inputs and how to see them. I think this will show what i was doing in relation to the bird, which is important here as 3DR is saying it was in "HOLD" which is not the case......

Last edited:
Why don't some of you guys with problems post data flash logs pulled with the help of MissionPlanner. I am sure there are people here that can would like to see them and possibly offer a second opinion.

Yep, people here are probably good at analyzing the logs (and not as swamped as 3DR) but in my case I'm still hoping that the prop flew off as I didn't think self tightening props would need to be tightened up so snug.

earld's case caught my eye as the description of the tumble was so just like mine. No input, hover and ... Huh? No time to react.
His sounds like the motor failed in flight which seems like it would have the same effect as losing a prop.
Similar description of the tumble and bumblebee sounds.

Been said before but that kind of... Whatever... Is dangerous for newbies like us right? For it to suddenly act like a crazed bumblebee and crash to the ground with no input?

V1.05 no less?
I pray it's not more GPS buggery..

I'm gonna take mine to a farm this weekend and try to learn to fly.
Wide open field.
No trees, no animals, no humans to hurt.
And hope that it was me and my loose propeller.
(I never did find it)

If it goes nuts again on its own ,I'll post the logs and if it survives a bout with Alzheimer's again, it will go on EBay as "slightly used"

Not sure B&H will refund.

Yep, people here are probably good at analyzing the logs (and not as swamped as 3DR) but in my case I'm still hoping that the prop flew off as I didn't think self tightening props would need to be tightened up so snug.

earld's case caught my eye as the description of the tumble was so just like mine. No input, hover and ... Huh? No time to react.
His sounds like the motor failed in flight which seems like it would have the same effect as losing a prop.
Similar description of the tumble and bumblebee sounds.

Been said before but that kind of... Whatever... Is dangerous for newbies like us right? For it to suddenly act like a crazed bumblebee and crash to the ground with no input?

V1.05 no less?
I pray it's not more GPS buggery..

I'm gonna take mine to a farm this weekend and try to learn to fly.
Wide open field.
No trees, no animals, no humans to hurt.
And hope that it was me and my loose propeller.
(I never did find it)

If it goes nuts again on its own ,I'll post the logs and if it survives a bout with Alzheimer's again, it will go on EBay as "slightly used"

Not sure B&H will refund.
Update: I called 3 DR first thing this AM (exactly 8:00 AM PST) and immediately spoke to a supervisor. I explained the situation to date, read some of the emails back and forth, and asked that they get a second set of eyes on the files, and also consider ALL the information (including stick movements) rather than a cursory overview, and that they look at the other supporting data including the wind info for the day/locale (which I provided) as well as the other flight file which at least shows them I can fly.

The manager listened to my likely now very evident frustration, what i had seen and found out from the files, and was very nice, attentive, and at the end agreed with my requests. So at least that is a better (re) beginning. They will now go off and put another set of eyes on the log files and get back to me.

I am AGAIN on the hopefull part of the roller coaster at this point :)

I think you can see the stick inputs at ch1in, ch2in, ch3in, ch4in. I could be wrong.

I see NO 3D Fix for a while, so it seemed to take some time to get a GPS lock.

Then you can see it flying... sticks move, etc.

There was a 'Error Pos horiz Variance', but I'm not sure if that was before or after the crash.

I think you can see the stick inputs at ch1in, ch2in, ch3in, ch4in. I could be wrong.

There was a 'Error Pos horiz Variance', but I'm not sure if that was before or after the crash.
Thanks! Great info.

Update: Talked again with 3DR and they now say the reason the Solo crashed was because it went into ALT HOLD by itself due to degrading GPS.

They also offered to replace the bad motor(s).

That is "better" but I also just responded asking what specifically about ALT HOLD would make the device tumble straight down dropping about 15 ft in 1 second while tumbling end over end and side over side?

I also asked foir specifics about the parameters and levels that take it into ALT HOLD, and why I didn't get notification...

That brings up a couple questions.

The solo took a couple minutes to lock satellites.
When the Solo became ready to Arm, it had 10 satellites and an hdop of 1.6.
As I took off, it got up to 12 satellites and an hdop of 1.4.
It then went back to 10 satellites and hdop of 1.6, where it went into ALT HOLD. Shortly after the ALT HOLD it threw a "position horiz variance" error

I am at 1.05 and I know (from this forum) abou t the GPS issues and that the firmware made changes to behavior in that regard. Does anyone know why the above values would cause the Solo to go into ALT HOLD? Does anyone know the specific triggers/logic for the Solo to flip to ALT HOLD?

Reactions: RikMiddle
Ummm... Looks like I spoke to soon.

I had my second flight yesterday afternoon after recharging, and that flight did not go so well....

I just got a new roof put on in preparation for solar panels, and decided to get a picture of it to boast on facebook :) I live in a "fairly" rural area and so have some room to move. As before, the solo found satellites quickly with no errors and was ready to go in less than 5 minutes.

I was going to just take video and grab a frame from that for my picture. I took off and made some passes over the house, when I realized I didn't hit record on the GoPro. I am on android so I don't have camera roll. I was going to bring it in, but wanted to see if I could tell if it was recording from the app (without the gimbal) and so I let it hover a bit at about 20 ft while looking at the app.

It was then Solo the solo just started tumbling. I saw it in the app and heard it at the same time. Sort of end over and and side over side all at once. It tumbled a couple times while falling almost straight down. Luckily it landed about 30 ft away in the bushes I was hovering over. I grabbed it and it (and the GoPro) didn't look any worse for wear. Not even a scuff. I had a battery backback on the GoPro and it didn't even fall off.

Not sure what happened but figuring I got lucky, at least from the outside (considering it could have landed on the asphault a few feet away) I took it back to my launchpad, pulled off the props and started to check it out. I restarted the Solo, and it wouldn't start.... NOOOooooo.....

When I hit the power button the LED's would animate, but it would then just turn off. After several tries I started to notice (it had happened earlier I just didn't catch it) that one of the motors "jumped" and clicked slightly when it was trying to start....

I tried over an over. I considered reseting the unit, but was wondering why the Solo tumbled, and thinking it could be a bad motor.. I also read (here) where a guy reset his Solo with similar conditions and the motor smoked, so I decided to be patient and wait for 3DR. I logged a trouble "email" through the app.

Being a "little" impatient, I called 3DR first thing this AM and worked with support. I was only on hold for 5 minutes and got a live person that seemed knowledgeable. They had me send the log files, and also disconnect the motor that was clicking. The motor came out surprisingly easily by removing four screws and a couple connectors under the LED lense. Took less than a minute That is pretty nice. FYI, the motor pod also includes the LED array....

That allowed the Solo to start up all the way (note to self) and confirmed that the clicking motor was at least the culprit stopping the unit from starting up. That made me glad I hadn't performed the reset, as I am betting I would have made fireworks.... and possibly burned up more than just the bad motor.

So... on day two... 3DR has my log files, and I have a bird missing a motor. They said the engineers were off today, and they would look at the files by Monday....

Hopefully it is just the motor, 3DR will get me a new one promptly, and I will be up and flying again soon... Time will tell....

I will keep you posted...
Ummm... Looks like I spoke to soon.

I had my second flight yesterday afternoon after recharging, and that flight did not go so well....

I just got a new roof put on in preparation for solar panels, and decided to get a picture of it to boast on facebook :) I live in a "fairly" rural area and so have some room to move. As before, the solo found satellites quickly with no errors and was ready to go in less than 5 minutes.

I was going to just take video and grab a frame from that for my picture. I took off and made some passes over the house, when I realized I didn't hit record on the GoPro. I am on android so I don't have camera roll. I was going to bring it in, but wanted to see if I could tell if it was recording from the app (without the gimbal) and so I let it hover a bit at about 20 ft while looking at the app.

It was then Solo the solo just started tumbling. I saw it in the app and heard it at the same time. Sort of end over and and side over side all at once. It tumbled a couple times while falling almost straight down. Luckily it landed about 30 ft away in the bushes I was hovering over. I grabbed it and it (and the GoPro) didn't look any worse for wear. Not even a scuff. I had a battery backback on the GoPro and it didn't even fall off.

Not sure what happened but figuring I got lucky, at least from the outside (considering it could have landed on the asphault a few feet away) I took it back to my launchpad, pulled off the props and started to check it out. I restarted the Solo, and it wouldn't start.... NOOOooooo.....

When I hit the power button the LED's would animate, but it would then just turn off. After several tries I started to notice (it had happened earlier I just didn't catch it) that one of the motors "jumped" and clicked slightly when it was trying to start....

I tried over an over. I considered reseting the unit, but was wondering why the Solo tumbled, and thinking it could be a bad motor.. I also read (here) where a guy reset his Solo with similar conditions and the motor smoked, so I decided to be patient and wait for 3DR. I logged a trouble "email" through the app.

Being a "little" impatient, I called 3DR first thing this AM and worked with support. I was only on hold for 5 minutes and got a live person that seemed knowledgeable. They had me send the log files, and also disconnect the motor that was clicking. The motor came out surprisingly easily by removing four screws and a couple connectors under the LED lense. Took less than a minute That is pretty nice. FYI, the motor pod also includes the LED array....

That allowed the Solo to start up all the way (note to self) and confirmed that the clicking motor was at least the culprit stopping the unit from starting up. That made me glad I hadn't performed the reset, as I am betting I would have made fireworks.... and possibly burned up more than just the bad motor.

So... on day two... 3DR has my log files, and I have a bird missing a motor. They said the engineers were off today, and they would look at the files by Monday....

Hopefully it is just the motor, 3DR will get me a new one promptly, and I will be up and flying again soon... Time will tell....

I will keep you posted...
Exactly the same as my story. I hope yours ends better than mine.

I'm dropping off the boards due to the fan boys not wanting me to warn others of the issues with 3DR...but IIRC you are in WA. Drop me a private email at NewBushPilot@gmail and tell me which motor you ate. I may be able to help you.

The error was before the crash. You can see the crash based on the attitude of the craft (it tumbles during crash) and ends up upside down in a bush.

If you look close, you will also see that the Solo went into ALT HOLD just after takeoff and then spit the "Horiz Variance Error". The craft had just taken off, was just 11 feet high at that point and was under control.

Still waiting for an explanation as to why it went into ALT HOLD.

Update: Talked again with 3DR and they now say the reason the Solo crashed was because it went into ALT HOLD by itself due to degrading GPS.

They also offered to replace the bad motor(s).

That is "better" but I also just responded asking what specifically about ALT HOLD would make the device tumble straight down dropping about 15 ft in 1 second while tumbling end over end and side over side?

I also asked foir specifics about the parameters and levels that take it into ALT HOLD, and why I didn't get notification...

That brings up a couple questions.

The solo took a couple minutes to lock satellites.
When the Solo became ready to Arm, it had 10 satellites and an hdop of 1.6.
As I took off, it got up to 12 satellites and an hdop of 1.4.
It then went back to 10 satellites and hdop of 1.6, where it went into ALT HOLD. Shortly after the ALT HOLD it threw a "position horiz variance" error

I am at 1.05 and I know (from this forum) abou t the GPS issues and that the firmware made changes to behavior in that regard. Does anyone know why the above values would cause the Solo to go into ALT HOLD? Does anyone know the specific triggers/logic for the Solo to flip to ALT HOLD?

ALT Hold?

You are asking the right questions...
I have no clue how that is an answer to anything.
Unless it births v1.06.

Otherwise, rename Alt Hold to "flip-out"

Please keep me updated on this.

I got my new props, gonna go an try not to Flip Out again in a field today..

I know this is not going to make things any better, but I am expecting bugs and glitches. This is cutting edge tech and like any new tech there is going to be complications. I am dealing with a helicopter that keeps frying servos due to an angry "high tech" flybarless controller. I've spent more time wrenching than I have flying it!

I have not received my Solo yet, but I am intrigued by the advertised capabilities and flight software. There will always be a need for test pilots - we are it! Not everyone will make it back :)

Thanks for this awesome string ... I need a hug now. I will email 3DR this morning - again - and ask for a status update on my order. I will be out there with you all soon!

Reactions: Raybro
I know this is not going to make things any better, but I am expecting bugs and glitches. This is cutting edge tech and like any new tech there is going to be complications. I am dealing with a helicopter that keeps frying servos due to an angry "high tech" flybarless controller. I've spent more time wrenching than I have flying it!

I have not received my Solo yet, but I am intrigued by the advertised capabilities and flight software. There will always be a need for test pilots - we are it! Not everyone will make it back :)

Thanks for this awesome string ... I need a hug now. I will email 3DR this morning - again - and ask for a status update on my order. I will be out there with you all soon!
Hey Squirrel! Welcome.. We look forward to your feedback and appreciate your realistic expectations..

Reactions: Flying Squirrel
ALT Hold?

You are asking the right questions...
I have no clue how that is an answer to anything.
Unless it births v1.06.

Otherwise, rename Alt Hold to "flip-out"

Please keep me updated on this.

I got my new props, gonna go an try not to Flip Out again in a field today..
Yes...This is what shows in the log, though the GPS looks good to me.... I believe ALT HOLD means altitude hold, and refers to the craft using barometer and accelerometer to maintian height and attitude, but no GPS, and so it will not maintain horizontal position (drift).

In my case, the unit also spit out a "pos horiz variance" error and about 10 seconds later instantly started doing 45 Deg angle flips as it was dropping (tumbling), but I guess first things first... I am hoping these are key clues, which is why I am interested to see if this repeats with others. That might tell me if it is a one off problem with hardware or if it is software (firmware).

Last edited:

I agree with you. As long as 3DR is upfront about it, and supports us beta testers. I have spent many decades as a beta power user of every electronic gadget and software you can imagine, and am used to the position and being a quick study, and a good field tester. I am used to the position, and apparently I like it :)

I am not on a beta" program with 3DR, and my first pass with them wasn't so good, as they just said it was my fault and would sell me motors. Affter quick uptake on Mission Planner and the log files, as well as a thorough email accounting for the 'incongruities" with the conclusion and the data, I 'think" I am on better footing now...

I expect something back from 3DR today.... We will see, but I have great hope :) I actually think 3DR wants to do the right thing, and in my experience has a better attitude than the "other" guys...

Reactions: Raybro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44