Feature Request: Toggle RTH or Land Mode

Reaction score
When flying under a tree canopy, RTH caused by ANYTHING would be a disaster.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could assign the B button on the controller to toggle between failsafe modes (loss of link to controller) to do RTH or Land during a flight, or do it in the App?

I bring this up because yesterday my Solo was ~300 feet out at ~6' going between trees and I suddenly got my first "Solo is not Connected" or whatever message and no video and, fortunately, it did NOT RTH and about 10 seconds later I reconnected and got video. So I got lucky.

Last edited:
I would suggest the "Pause" key, But i believe a GPS connection is needed for this to work.
ANYONE, from Physics Pro. to a 12 year old, DO not fly anything that is uncontrollable!, you may hurt someone or even hurt your self!
3DR say's. don't attempt to fix it your self, make ticket, send logs.
How simple is that?

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the suggestion, but the Pause key would not work if there was a loss of link with the aircraft.

As for flying something that is uncontrollable, this thread is chock full of people flying ON PURPOSE to cause RTH by flying too far away, which I would agree with you is dangerous and foolish.

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the suggestion, but the Pause key would not work if there was a loss of link with the aircraft.

As for flying something that is uncontrollable, this thread is chock full of people flying ON PURPOSE to cause RTH by flying too far away, which I would agree with you is dangerous and foolish.
Lol, I posted in wrong place, sorry. I can remove it if you like?
Too many people using drone foolishly. 3dr can sell them, but can't force you to use common sense.

Sent from the 4th dimension using my Nexus 6

Totally funny....I was like ??? yeah let's clear these bits out to keep it OT. :)

But how about you give me your thought on it since you're already here?

Hi Steve,

Hey Z,

Regarding both of your recent threads; I too have been flying FPV for awhile before the Solo. Some 5.8 but also 1.2 and 900mhz. While the picture quality from the solo is far better than I have had before, the stuttering and occasional latency increase does not make for a good FPV platform. But to be fair, I don't think it is designed or expected to be a great FPV platform. But as an aerial video/photography system, it is very good for setting up and getting shots. But I didn't buy the Solo expecting to be able to get the same sort of instant feedback I got with the other systems.

Also, get used to flying in manual, except for when GPS and smart shots are needed, it is much more reliable, You are also not going to get the reliability and signal quality for the controller that you are used to with traditional 2.4 control systems from Futaba and Spektrum.

Just mu .02.. Welcome to the site..

Last edited:
Hey Steve,

Regarding both of your recent threads; I too have been flying FPV for awhile before the Solo. Some 5.8 but also 1.2 and 900mhz. While the picture quality from the solo is far better than I have had before, the stuttering and occasional latency increase does not make for a good FPV platform. But to be fair, I don't think it is designed or expected to be a great FPV platform. But as an aerial video/photography system, it is very good for setting up and getting shots. But I didn't buy the Solo expecting to be able to get the same sort of instant feedback I got with the other systems.

Also, get used to flying in manual, except for when GPS and smart shots are needed, it is much more reliable, You are also not going to get the reliability and signal quality for the controller that you are used to with traditional 2.4 control systems from Futaba and Spektrum.

Thanks Jubalr...but does it stutter constantly? Mine does, regardless of being at home or at the park, on the ground or in the air.

Re your other comment:
In my other birds, I pretty much flew in attitude mode and would only trigger Alt Hold or Position Hold when I needed to. But that is actually a great suggestion, except that I seem to remember that RTH is not flight mode dependent and will trigger as long as a home point has been set up. So flying in attitude or manual would both trigger an unwanted RTH if I were flying under a canopy. (I'm assuming you saw my other post)

Hey Steve,

Yes I agree, the most I use my monitor for is for framing the video/picture shot. Secondly, use it for flight info .
The gopro has all the high resolution you can ever want to use. Perfect video. Up to 4K.30fps

Sent from the 4th dimension using my Nexus 6

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the suggestion, but the Pause key would not work if there was a loss of link with the aircraft..

You are 100% correct

But this

Wouldn't it be nice if we could assign the B button on the controller to toggle between RTH and Land Mode during a flight, or do it in the App?.

Has the same problem.

You are 100% correct

But this

Has the same problem.
Sorry, I don't mean Land mode, I mean when failsafe is triggered, it lands instead of RTH. This is an Ardruopter paramater that I'm familiar with from other birds.

I mean to be able to toggle into that mode before a flight or during a flight. For example, if I'm in free space, I leave it a RTH, but as I approach a forest or area where I cannot ascend to the sky, I put it in "don't RTH if I lose contact, please land instead" and when I'm clear of that area, I can put it back in "RTH if I lose contact"

Sorry, I don't mean Land mode, I mean when failsafe is triggered, it lands instead of RTH. This is an Ardruopter paramater that I'm familiar with from other birds.

I mean to be able to toggle into that mode before a flight or during a flight. For example, if I'm in free space, I leave it a RTH, but as I approach a forest or area where I cannot ascend to the sky, I put it in "don't RTH if I lose contact, please land instead" and when I'm clear of that area, I can put it back in "RTH if I lose contact"
OK that makes perfect sense. Heading somewhere with a canopy toggle it to land instead.

That would be a great addition but I personally would want it less accessible than the A B buttons. Toggling it by mistake when you are beyond visual could ruin your day. Or at least have a warning saying ARE YOU SURE

:)

Reactions: z-axis
IF it's a tune option in Pixhawk, then it probably is also in the Solo. Just use Mission Planner and change the setting to land instead of RTH when a failsafe kicks in.

When flying under a tree canopy, RTH caused by ANYTHING would be a disaster.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could assign the B button on the controller to toggle between RTH and Land Mode during a flight, or do it in the App?

I bring this up because yesterday my Solo was ~300 feet out at ~6' going between trees and I suddenly got my first "Solo is not Connected" or whatever message and no video and, fortunately, it did NOT RTH and about 10 seconds later I reconnected and got video. So I got lucky.

Loss of control link with GPS = RTH
Loss of GPS not control =Fly manual mode
Loss of GPS and Control = Land

unless something has changed. I would assume yours was in fly manual and about to switch to land unless it was regaining GPS and control back to normal FLY

IF it's a tune option in Pixhawk, then it probably is also in the Solo. Just use Mission Planner and change the setting to land instead of RTH when a failsafe kicks in.
Yes, I know I can change that via MP, but this would be a case like, "ok, this would be a bad place to RTH if I lost control link, I want to disable that temporarily" (like flying through a heavily wooded area and GPS is working).

Last edited:
You can also use Tower to change things when in the field.

I think they are reserving Solo to be a 'simple, but easy to fly' app. I've made a few suggestions, but they haven't had much traction yet.

Of course, 3DR is still busy trying to get the published functions and features fully released. So be patient. ;)

For his use it is definitely something you would want to be able to do via the app. Tower would take too much time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso