FAA waiver in Oregon

Reaction score
I'm in a small town in Oregon, but there's an airport that's either class C or D airspace. There is a tower and commercial service, but under 100 passengers. I have a client wanting some aerials that's inside the 5 mile radius. What's the best way to approach getting permission?

I'm in a small town in Oregon, but there's an airport that's either class C or D airspace. There is a tower and commercial service, but under 100 passengers. I have a client wanting some aerials that's inside the 5 mile radius. What's the best way to approach getting permission?
I'm in OR too and didn't realize how close I am to so many different airfields! I'm a new pilot myself and actually have yet to put my bird in the air, which I'm just waiting on a replacement gimbal plus a couple different upgrade parts show so I can start shooting video and pics. I have an extra mRo ublox neo m8n gaps and a pair of Micro Tik wifi cards also that I can give you better prices on than anywhere else if interested. I'm actually close to Hillsboro myself and am on the hunt for decent places to fly and film, which I plan on doing at the coast as well. From what I've read simply contacting the flight tower and getting clearance to fly is the best route.

Contact ATC at the airport. The FAA website is worthless unless you have months of notice.

If you have your Part 107, I think you can contact the Tower (in advance) to request the operation. Some places are very reasonable to deals with.
This is not the case for commercial operations- you need to apply for a waiver for use of controlled airspace.

Reactions: Wetstone
This is not the case for commercial operations- you need to apply for a waiver for use of controlled airspace.
You do not need a waiver. A waiver is permanent. You need to request permission and be very specific about the operation, time etc.

No, you recieve permission via the waiver.

See "Airspace/Airports", #2 & #3at:
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

I wish it was as simple as calling.

This is a bit strange, but the FAA is clearly being less than open on this FAQ. The rule CLEARLY states that airspace clearance is per ATC. It is even in their sample test, I believe.

BUT, their internal guidance to ATC has been to deny all requests and refer pilots to the website. However, there are stories out there of reasonable ATC controllers. Likely, they would be in a smaller town like the OP states.

There is rumor that this is slated to change.

I would call the ATC. I would have precise and clear flight parameters (flight boundary location, AGL, phone number that you can be reached at, time of flight, etc). Here in the big city, I won't even try.

Also, look at the information on the airport. Look at the hours of operation. Sometimes, if the airport is closed, the airspace goes to G. There is one like that here, but it only happens at night.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig