Notifying ATC about drone operations

Reaction score
Reading to posts here I get the idea that there is a bit of confusion about how to notify ATC of drone operations in the vicinity of an airport.

First phone numbers not on the Solo App can be found in by googling the ICAO airport identifier and "tower phone number." When calling a uncontrolled airport I am respectful and quick in how I inform the manager of the operations. When calling a tower or other air traffic control facility I still inform them, but do so the same way I do when using the airspace with my aircraft. When calling a tower remember that they believe they "own" the air from the surface to 2499' AGL. The argument about your "rights" to use this airspace is better left for another day. I have not ever been asked or told not to fly, some guys give me permission, other thank me for letting them know I'll be flying.

When calling be quick, precise, and know what you are going to say ahead of time. Honestly they don't care what you are taking photos of, they don't want a long dissertation of your plans for the day, they don't care who you are. I give them 3 pieces of information. Locations, altitude, and time. That's all they want. Location is a distance and direction from a known point, 3 miles south of the airport, 1 mile north of downtown, in the vicinity of I275 and I696 interchange. Altitude is the maxium altitude you will be flying during the entire operation, 300' AGL and below. Time just give the local time your will start and end, or if you are calling just before the flight tell them "for the next 2 hours." My phone calls to an ATC facilty never last more than 30 seconds, most are in the 15 to 20 second range. These guys are busy and are probably as annoyed you are calling as you are having to call them.

Here is how one conversation went with ATC today:

ATC facility "Hello ____ tower"

Me "Hello, just call to let you know that I'llbe conducting fro opperstions 1 mile north of down town from the surface to 250 feet AGL for the next three hours."

ATC facility "You will never be above 250'?"

Me "No"

ATC facility "That will be Okay, I'll give you permission for that, thanks for calling."

Me "Thank you sir"

So this guy gave me permission, being class "D" airspace he really can't say "no," but who am I to start anything. Earlier in the day I was in touch with a different controller who gave me the "thanks for calling" line.

Anyway this has worked great for me. quickly give them the three pieces of information they need, practice the discussion ahead of time, and be respectful. No one has ever even asked who I am. I have even had ATC not question when flying within 5 miles of a class "bravo" airport.

Last edited:
So this guy gave me permission, being class "D" airspace he really can't say "no," but who am I to start anything. Earlier in the day I was in touch with a different controller who gave me the "thanks for calling" line.

Anyway this has worked great for me. quickly give them the three pieces of information they need, practice the discussion ahead of time, and be respectful. No one has ever even asked who I am. I have even had ATC not question when flying within 5 miles of a class "bravo" airport.

Actually, he *can* say "no" as there may be other operations in the area. ;) Perhaps rare, but there are those exceptions.
However, nicely said, nicely done, and terrific post.

The bigger challenges come from wanting to fly in Class B airspace. I'm curious...who here other than myself, has filed DROTAM? I'm curious to hear how your local FSDO has handled it. Every region is different, and I've heard great stories and nightmare stories.

I call Lockhead Martin flight services to file mine. For the ones I have filed, they wanted a center point and radius. They also wanted distance and direction from nearest VOR and airport. My largest one was 3NM radius, though in reality I was basically flying a single line (ROW) 6NM in length. So far, all of mine have been in remote areas of south and west Texas. The calls usually take several minutes as they verify distances, bearings, etc. They are always friendly.

I was also advised that if you fly the same area, remember the NOTAM number and they can pull it up the next time you call it in and they will have all of the location information already available.

Last edited:
I have never a drone NOTAM, but filed numerous NOTAM's in my lifetime for other reason. Simple process, call the 800-WXBRIEF and let them know. The online form is also very easy to fill out. Flight service is a bunch of good guys that are more than happy to help out, unlike ATC most of the time these guy are overjoyed to get a phone call.

Reactions: Burkeam
Any advice when contacting Tower ATC via Airband VHF? Are you guys using call signs or rego numbers in the States? Anyone in Australia here that is contacting ATC via radio and using radio to follow movements of nearby aircraft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great topic.
I had my Solo and P2V+ with me when visiting FAA support center @YIP last summer picking up some AC-8050-1 Aircraft Registration forms. Before you knew it I had three guys asking me question about everything. More for personal curiosity than professional - they were all commercial carriers guy as nobody is assigned the sUAVs yet. They weren't sure how to go about it. I really had to teach them the regs which form numbers I needed. They were cool with it.

Calling the tower can be kinda of the same. They might not have experienced sUAV requests so you will be teaching them -maybe. If you start to call a few times a month they will get to know you and handle you appropriately. Your are more likely to be received on how you present. If their workload is high and you got it together they welcome you in to play else you may be asked to hang outside for a while. I like the 3 pieces of information but aircraft - tower communications is really simple and I believe the information should flow, Who, What, When, Where, Why?

would considering a conversation like: phone transer
T: Hello Tower
O: Good evening tower -
Who -"Commercial small UAV (N99900)November Niner Niner Niner Zero Zero or "hobbyist sUAV operator"
What -"requesting clearance to operate in your airspace"
Where - "Lower then 400'AGL, 2.5 mi S.E of the airfield"
When - "commencing in one five minutes for four five minutes" or "5:30pm Local time to 6:15pm" or "21:30 Zulu to 22:15"
Why - "for Aerial imaging and surveillance of approximately 24 houses in a subdivision", "recording a event" or "surveying 480 acres". Give them an idea where you will be at. Flying around the area of a football field is nothing however a single flight could easily be a few sq mi from the point you stated

Do you ever get frustrated while at work and someone doesn't communicate well in your language. It might be fun to figure it out but do it less then 30 seconds. This could be you when calling them so learn a few things and practice. In the end it is very straightforward, structured and simple. You should speak their form of language.

Be ready to answer question like cert# or even a cell phone#

notes:
-Towers 1st language of time is Zulu/UTC/GMT - don't know this then google it and study. They will respect you more.
-Keep the 1st communication limited - do not start off talking for 30 seconds - it won't happen. Be respectful they have a bigger priorities.
-Do not say more than a couple of "um"s. You first time you should study it at a mirror speaking out loud or even when driving - seriously.
-Learn the military phonic letter. A=alpha, B=bravo. They are there for a reason. A professional will know them and you should too.
-Learn the airport activities. Know where is the active approach and departures. It changes with the wind condition. For a aircraft pilot unexpectedly see your drone will increase the Stress/Workload level which will not be received well

Now all of this is a lot for a small rural airport with little or no traffic. If their workload is down they might get chatty with you - enjoy it, they want to learn whats going on. If they are busy then it should be able to be quick. In and Out.

I went long on this one but let me explain where I am coming from. I learned to fly in Class B DTW. Later we hangered our single seater Mooney at DTW. I'd fly in and out of those big pushes (All planes depart and then all the next arrival come in - typically 45 min of chaos). They knew me well. I could come in from the side and drop the plan on the runway and get off faster than any other plane around. Was I special - hell no but I was a pilot that would never increase their workload due to mistakes or not knowing. I was alway efficient and courteous and I always got in and out within 10 minutes even when the commercial jets were backed up 24 deep.

Now call a small rural airport and you might just get a "whatever sure". It doesn't change the fat there is a system out there to follow. You night only be a hobbyist operator but you still perform like a professional. Having the knowledge is the key.

Last edited:
I have never a drone NOTAM, but filed numerous NOTAM's in my lifetime for other reason. Simple process, call the 800-WXBRIEF and let them know. The online form is also very easy to fill out. Flight service is a bunch of good guys that are more than happy to help out, unlike ATC most of the time these guy are overjoyed to get a phone call.
Do you have a link to the online form? I tried looking, but couldn't find it.

Thanks!

When should a NOTAM be filed for a drone flight. I fly in rural areas with private airports were at times it is difficult to get in touch with the absentee owner/manager of the airport. If I filed a NOTAM would that cover me in these circumstances?

Do you have a link to the online form? I tried looking, but couldn't find it.

Thanks!
The 8050 form is carbon/duplicate copy type form and must be picked up at the FAA or request they mail them to you. But, this form should irrelevant now that they allow online registration for UAVs.

The 8050 is for registration, I thought he was saying there is an online form to file a NOTAM....

Flight Services (1800wxbrief.com) has an online form, but I was told not to use it and they (UAS NOTAM) had to be called in. I don't know if that has changed.

I have used the online form that flight service station has. Never checked to see if the notam posted or not.

So for an airport in class G airspace with ATF I would call the FIC? Is that correct and necessary? The conversation would go much like the first post described?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela