FAA updates rules

Reaction score
http://tinyurl.com/UAVcodeUPDATE

Part 107 becomes more clear as a result of this update to the rule set as well. Although this predominantly points to educators, it also provides clarity in the narrowing of commercial definitions.

Be safe out there.

FAA-336-Update.jpg

Reactions: pyrate
Wow 1000 bucks to file for a 333

You could always use Gowdy Brothers in the northwest. They're "sponsored" by the Los Angeles Film group, and have a terrific deal for $3495.00, members-only.

You could always use Gowdy Brothers in the northwest. They're "sponsored" by the Los Angeles Film group, and have a terrific deal for $3495.00, members-only.
Man, they have really gone up then. Last August it was $1,200. But they do a good job and include a lot of different manuf and applications. But I certainly would not have paid $3,495 for it.

Man, they have really gone up then. Last August it was $1,200. But they do a good job and include a lot of different manuf and applications. But I certainly would not have paid $3,495 for it.

EVERY 333 includes all the 1100+ UAV; they market their product as being "we've made XXX agreements with the FAA" when in truth, those agreements have zip to do with Gowdy Brothers, and everything to do with the standard.
Having facilitated 333's for a couple dozen people through a trio of different attorneys and/or pilots that do the 333 copy/paste thing, it's aggravating to read a provider suggesting they have an "exclusive" anything. This is now a standardized, formalized process. I filed my own for my business; after having done so, I'm inclined to help others use a facilitator. It's a serious PITA.

Sounds like an opportunity for Legal Zoom
Well heck, I file quarterly LLC / S Corp taxes
is it harder than that?

EVERY 333 includes all the 1100+ UAV; they market their product as being "we've made XXX agreements with the FAA" when in truth, those agreements have zip to do with Gowdy Brothers, and everything to do with the standard.
Having facilitated 333's for a couple dozen people through a trio of different attorneys and/or pilots that do the 333 copy/paste thing, it's aggravating to read a provider suggesting they have an "exclusive" anything. This is now a standardized, formalized process. I filed my own for my business; after having done so, I'm inclined to help others use a facilitator. It's a serious PITA.
They never told me that had an exclusive on anything, I just didn't want to deal with it my self. I understand now though that all 333 includes the 1100+ UAV, but last year each individual model you intended to fly had to be specified as did the intended use. I don't know if the use still has to be specified, but would assume so.

This is a mass email they sent out last week:

The Gowdy Brothers have a 100% success rate and it’s the best 333 Exemption ever granted.

What makes the Gowdy Brothers 333 Exemption different from ordinary 333 Exemptions?

• The Gowdy Brothers are renowned for providing speedy delivery which allows for a faster submission to the FAA. Their hundreds of hours of research, streamline the approval process for FAA Section 333 review, allowing you to fly sUAV’s for commercial applications faster.
    • Most 333’s are for a limited handful of purposes; ie Real Estate video, data collection, agriculture etc. The Gowdy Brothers 333 is for a whopping 65 purposes.
    • In addition to the Gowdy Brothers complete list of “purposes”, they have also arranged with the FAA to have your 333 Exemption good for over 1,120 approved FAA drones from every imaginable manufacturer.
They provide a “Super 333” covering every contingency.

There are numerous misleading statements in this marketing mail. There is no "Super 333" and the FAA should take issue with this.
No one has "arranged" anything with the FAA.
More importantly, this email suggests that this vendor has special powers or access to the FAA exemption process, which is not true. Moreover, if the COA is overly broad, a FSDO Inspector can easily challenge, and force-amend a COA if the operator is not capable of handling the use.
My only issue is when someone suggests they have powers within the government that others don't have.

As far as the question of filing and if it's harder than taxes...yes, it's harder than taxes. The language is specific to aviation and without a strong knowledge of the FARs, a strong understanding of aviation-speak, and an understanding of law... it's a challenge.

so is there anyone that offers it for a reasonable and fair price?
still on the fence as to if it is worth my time. I do not .. at this time make a living doing it. Don't even charge for my work. I do it mostly for friends and family

so is there anyone that offers it for a reasonable and fair price?
still on the fence as to if it is worth my time. I do not .. at this time make a living doing it. Don't even charge for my work. I do it mostly for friends and family

My advice (assuming you have no intention of charging a dime) is to wait for Part 107, coming to an internet near you, sometime between June 1 and October 1, 2016. It will remove some of the requirements of the 333, but not all of them. Anyone wanting/intending/accidentally doing commercial work should be applying for a 333 before 107 comes into play. The new 336 announcement makes it very clear they're not fooling around, and narrowing the pipeline. It was refreshing to hear Huerta say they know they've screwed up, and working feverishly to fix it. That's good news for the NAS, bad news for the cowboys. We're gonna see a lot of the Phantom crowd being fined.

Reactions: Jubalr and pyrate
This is a mass email they sent out last week:

The Gowdy Brothers have a 100% success rate and it’s the best 333 Exemption ever granted.

What makes the Gowdy Brothers 333 Exemption different from ordinary 333 Exemptions?

• The Gowdy Brothers are renowned for providing speedy delivery which allows for a faster submission to the FAA. Their hundreds of hours of research, streamline the approval process for FAA Section 333 review, allowing you to fly sUAV’s for commercial applications faster.
    • Most 333’s are for a limited handful of purposes; ie Real Estate video, data collection, agriculture etc. The Gowdy Brothers 333 is for a whopping 65 purposes.
    • In addition to the Gowdy Brothers complete list of “purposes”, they have also arranged with the FAA to have your 333 Exemption good for over 1,120 approved FAA drones from every imaginable manufacturer.
They provide a “Super 333” covering every contingency.

There are numerous misleading statements in this marketing mail. There is no "Super 333" and the FAA should take issue with this.
No one has "arranged" anything with the FAA.
More importantly, this email suggests that this vendor has special powers or access to the FAA exemption process, which is not true. Moreover, if the COA is overly broad, a FSDO Inspector can easily challenge, and force-amend a COA if the operator is not capable of handling the use.
My only issue is when someone suggests they have powers within the government that others don't have.

As far as the question of filing and if it's harder than taxes...yes, it's harder than taxes. The language is specific to aviation and without a strong knowledge of the FARs, a strong understanding of aviation-speak, and an understanding of law... it's a challenge.
Yep. sounds like they are getting a little 'loose' with their marketing. I see they are also implying they can speed up the process, which I doubt. When I used them last summer, they had just started and it was just the 2 brothers. As a pilot and law enforcement professional working 2 full time jobs it certainly wasn't about knowledge or terms, it was simply a matter of a guaranteed 100% approval and if I remember correctly a 6 month time frame for the exemption. So for me it was worth it to just 'sign here' and wait.

Reactions: EyeWingsuit
Do we still have to have airplane license for apply 333?
You never needed a pilot's license to apply for a 333 for a business, you merely need to have a certified airman/pilot for your commercial operations. It's a fine-line, but there is a difference.

im still really confused about the whole thing, I want to start adding drone service to some of my wedding stuff but I guess $1000 for a 333 isnt so bad.

im still really confused about the whole thing, I want to start adding drone service to some of my wedding stuff but I guess $1000 for a 333 isnt so bad.

Happy to help with the confusion (and your 333, should you need). It seems so confusing, but in fact, it really doesn't need to be.
Where in the US are you?

Reactions: 1264_Solo
You never needed a pilot's license to apply for a 333 for a business, you merely need to have a certified airman/pilot for your commercial operations. It's a fine-line, but there is a difference.
I don't understand what u mean by I have to have a certified airman/pilot? Can u explain more clearly. I think I understand a little, I have to hire someone to pilot my drone? If so, I don't want to hire someone and I want pilot myself, my skilled with drone very professional but FAA halt my dream to start S & R and aerial photo/video? I just guess wait till 107 sometime between June to October

Im so confused now, with the 333 and 107 i want to add my drone to my business but itlooks so complicated, im from NJ and i been asking to so many ppl how to file and 333 and i still waiting lol one option was adding lability to my drone, and no one here offer that at least not in Nj

Im so confused now, with the 333 and 107 i want to add my drone to my business but itlooks so complicated, im from NJ and i been asking to so many ppl how to file and 333 and i still waiting lol one option was adding lability to my drone, and no one here offer that at least not in Nj

You don't need the insurance company to be local. The company that insures my (former) aircraft for skydiving was in a different state, the company that underwrites my UAV policy is in Colorado while I'm bouncing between Toronto, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas. I'd recommend for time and clarity purposes that you use a 333 service that has a high reputation. I highly recommend Dronesplus.com for your 333, and they have an insurance option through transportriskmanagement.com

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo