FAA testing

Reaction score
Anybody know of a good study source for the test without having to spend $100 on study materials

Thanks pyrate just got my first serious drone and I guess I need to get legal

If you don't plan to sell your footage there is no need.
The prepware test is pretty cheap on mobile

You mean I do not have to take the 107 as long as it is just a hobby

That is correct. Just go onto the FAA website and register. It costs $5.
The 107 is for those who intend to make money (in any way) from the use of the drone.

That being said, the information is still 100% relevant and having a basic understanding of the regulations, aeronautical charts, weather, and performance of the equipment is a great idea. It will help keep you legal, safe, and probably reduce the chance of a crash.

Reactions: pyrate
I like the way you think
Honestly I thought all this regulation stuff was just government over reach, well, in a way I still do
but also must admit that I learned a great deal prepping, and feel more informed, and more empowered

The more I read about FAA requirements, the more confused I become! I did the initial $5 FAA registration. Ok, good so far. Labeled my Solo, check. Then I took the 107 test, passed and got a PDF certificate emailed to me. Awesome. This is where I'm lost...don't I need to take two more tests, including a Remote Pilot's license to operate commercially? Please, if somebody had gone down this path, please let me know what else I need to do. I tried signing up for the Remote Pilot's test, but it's asking for a 17-digit test code, which evidently, I receive after taking some other test first. Any guidance would be GREATLY appreciated!

The more I read about FAA requirements, the more confused I become! I did the initial $5 FAA registration. Ok, good so far. Labeled my Solo, check. Then I took the 107 test, passed and got a PDF certificate emailed to me. Awesome. This is where I'm lost...don't I need to take two more tests, including a Remote Pilot's license to operate commercially? Please, if somebody had gone down this path, please let me know what else I need to do. I tried signing up for the Remote Pilot's test, but it's asking for a 17-digit test code, which evidently, I receive after taking some other test first. Any guidance would be GREATLY appreciated!

Did you take your exam at one of these locations? if so contact them, if not... you haven't actually taken the official FAA exam.
Perhaps an online practice one.

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/media/test_centers.pdf

Did you take your exam at one of these locations? if so contact them, if not... you haven't actually taken the official FAA exam.
Perhaps an online practice one.

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/media/test_centers.pdf
I took the Part 107. I have no idea what that certificate means, to be honest. But I did receive a certificate and a small cut/printout for my wallet. Is that a prerequisite of sorts? Or did I waste my time? Here's a part of the email I received after successfully completed the online exam:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
FAA Safety Team | Safer Skies Through Education

Keoni Ahlo

This email is to notify you that Guy Ahlo (my email here) has completed the course Part 107 small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (sUAS) on 1/13/2017 11:52:15 PM.

Course Completion Certificate Number: (my certificate # here)
Please browse to the following URL to view the certificate:

[URL of PDF certificate here]

Thank you.

Last edited:
The fee the FAA charges is $150 each time you take it. You'll have to wait 14 days before you can spend another $150 to try again.

you cant take the 107 online unless you are already a pilot.
You have to go into a testing center to take the test, it costs 150
then you get suav 107 certificate with a number. Then you register each of your drones for a unique number

you cant take the 107 online unless you are already a pilot.
You have to go into a testing center to take the test, it costs 150
then you get suav 107 certificate with a number. Then you register each of your drones for a unique number
Holy cow, so I was able to take the 107 without any pilot credentials? That's so strange! I simply followed the link that followed the $5 registration process. Took me to 107. Studied for about half an hour and took the online test. Not sure where I went wrong. :O

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado