Does the Original App Still Work?

Reaction score
I moved overseas and have not had my Solo up in the air since 2018. Before I dig out the drone and start reacquainting myself with it, would like to know if the original app from 3DR still functions, both for the drone flight and for the GoPro connection. So, do I need to install some newer form of firmware and app to fly my Solo, or will the original stock app and firmware still work?

Thanks!

Max

The app still works for iPhones, particularly if you have a 7 or 6. The performance is like new.
It's not working on Android phones at all for about the past 2 years.

The 3Dr app still works fine. I use mine all the time. The only challenge you may have is if you have a newer phone. The app is not compatible and will not work or work properly with newer phones. Search the forum for this and you will soon find which updated versions of ios and android work and which don't. My phone is an iphone 6s and is running version 10.3.3 and it works fine. I purposefully ignore and do not update my phone software upgrade requests by the phone as later versions are not compatible with the 3DR app.

You can also get the newer app for ios which is Sidepilot or Solex for android. People report good success with them. They offer many other features the 3DR app does not though I find that with some things such as the Smart Shots, the 3Dr app still can't be beat.
Good luck getting back in the air.

Reactions: Maxheadspace
My phone is an iphone 6s and is running version 10.3.3 and it works fine. I purposefully ignore and do not update my phone software upgrade requests by the phone as later versions are not compatible with the 3DR app.

FYI, my iPad Mini 4 with the current iPadOS firmware (13.6.1) runs the old 3DR Solo app just fine. I use it almost every day.

I have two Solos with original firmware and use my iPhone X with the original app, no issues so far.

The 3Dr app still works fine. I use mine all the time. The only challenge you may have is if you have a newer phone. The app is not compatible and will not work or work properly with newer phones. Search the forum for this and you will soon find which updated versions of ios and android work and which don't. My phone is an iphone 6s and is running version 10.3.3 and it works fine. I purposefully ignore and do not update my phone software upgrade requests by the phone as later versions are not compatible with the 3DR app.

You can also get the newer app for ios which is Sidepilot or Solex for android. People report good success with them. They offer many other features the 3DR app does not though I find that with some things such as the Smart Shots, the 3Dr app still can't be beat.
Good luck getting back in the air.

Ooooh... I upgraded my iPhone to iOS 11 a few years ago. That doesn't bode well for me. Now using iPhone 10. :-(

Update: I see Krausz' post, so maybe there's hope for my iPhone X!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421