Does anyone know of some good tutorials on smart shots?

sam

Reaction score
I have watched some videos and read about it but I can never get to work even after having plenty of satellites for my GPS (I want to do the cable cam on the orbit but maybe the follow me mode). Sorry if this is a really dumb question and I am just missing somthing key (I have a phone to connect and get live footage from solo and change settings).

Reactions: prowler9
What kind of environment are you flying in? City/country? Hills? Trees? Canyon? Tall buildings?

Also, when did you buy your solo?

There's an app people use to check GPS quality in various areas but I forget what it's called.

Does the GPS never ever work or does it only work sometimes?

Also, what firmware are you running on Solo/controller and what app version do you have?

What kind of environment are you flying in? City/country? Hills? Trees? Canyon? Tall buildings?

Also, when did you buy your solo?

There's an app people use to check GPS quality in various areas but I forget what it's called.

Does the GPS never ever work or does it only work sometimes?

Also, what firmware are you running on Solo/controller and what app version do you have?

I fly in feilds and near thick trees and plenty of hills. I bought my solo from B&H in May of 2015 but it did not arrive until October and I did not get much chance to use it in the winter. GPS is always strong and I have my GPS mask set to 10 degrees due to the hills (GPS was unreliable when mask was set to 5 degrees) but now it works great. I always have 9 to 16 satellites connected. I have everything updated to the latest firmware (I updated everything to the most recent firmware (I forget which version that is now) about 2 weeks ago and I have not gotten any notifications saying that there is another update since that. )

Plot twist: I don't know how to read.

Which smart shots are you having trouble with specifically?

What happens when you try?

I haven't used follow me yet but I am familiar with orbit and cable.

Solo
What happens when you try?

I haven't used follow me yet but I am familiar with orbit and cable.

Orbit shot does a 45 or so degree arc and then returns to home. Follow me does not work at all. Cable cam works but I can't control camera with control sticks or normal gimbal/ camera controls (yes I do have a gimbal and yes I take out the foam insert for gimbal. )

If it's returning to home during a smartshot, it sounds more like you had gps or controller signal loss. Was there a warning on the controller/app when that happens?

During your orbit, is the solo going behind the object you are orbiting, which could be blocking the signal to the controller? Are you maintaining line of site when this occurs?

Reactions: aidanlou
If it's returning to home during a smartshot, it sounds more like you had gps or controller signal loss. Was there a warning on the controller/app when that happens?

During your orbit, is the solo going behind the object you are orbiting, which could be blocking the signal to the controller? Are you maintaining line of site when this occurs?

I am orbiting in a field to test it. I am always line of site and I pivot my self so that the controller is always facing solo (I don't know how much that helps but I do it anyway ). I get no warnings except for the message you get (or at least I get ) on the screen that says solo is returning home.

I am orbiting in a field to test it. I am always line of site and I pivot my self so that the controller is always facing solo (I don't know how much that helps but I do it anyway ). I get no warnings except for the message you get (or at least I get ) on the screen that says solo is returning home.
RTH Short for "Return to Home" means ether, An operator has initiated a RTH by pressing the button "with the House icon" or Solo has lost a WiFi connection with the controller & therefor a RTH will be initiated automatically & Land.

I know that this doesn't answer your question completely, but should give you a better idea what's going on.
Hope this helps

RTH Short for "Return to Home" means ether, An operator has initiated a RTH by pressing the button "with the House icon" or Solo has lost a WiFi connection with the controller & therefor a RTH will be initiated automatically & Land.

I know that this doesn't answer your question completely, but should give you a better idea what's going on.
Hope this helps

Would better antennas help the connection problem? Or is there a better angle for antennas than the one 3dr recommends?
Thanks

RTH Short for "Return to Home" means ether, An operator has initiated a RTH by pressing the button "with the House icon" or Solo has lost a WiFi connection with the controller & therefor a RTH will be initiated automatically & Land...
Also when the battery gets down to 10% it will RTH - right Steve? Shouldn't be the case here, though.

Good evening SARDG,
Yes, it will start a RTH at 10% or maybe 15%? I know you get a warning at 25%
At any rate, in a open field, Line of Sight should not produce RTH?
with this scenario, standard antennas are not the probelm.
What do you mean when you say:
(GPS was unreliable when mask was set to 5 degrees)

...What do you mean when you say:
(GPS was unreliable when mask was set to 5 degrees)
I didn't know what that meant either - I was hoping one of the brainiacs on here would pick up on that and tell us...

Guessing mask = Mast? Meaning antenna?
Ah gee, I bet you're right. I just never consider those tiny 3" sticks to be "masts". And a 5 degree angle difference would be difficult to figure and to hold when flying.

OP, antennas should look like this:
antenna_config-e1434064033299.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig