Does ANYONE know how.....

Reaction score
I have read the entire solo manual front to back (58 pages), searched for any videos, visited the 3dr home page etc. for what I would think is very basic information. Does the solo, with gimbal, have the ability to take a pictures(snapshots)? Not a video..a picture and can you do it without landing and flipping the camera manually from video to picture and will that even work? Also I flew three batteries today recording different things and when i pulled the card on the camera there was nothing on it! I did have "save to video roll" checked so i had the recordings saved to my ipad mini but why wouldn't they also be on the camera card? Finally my go pro "hangs" continually..meaning it won't shut off after you power everything else down...yes I held the button but the only way to shut it off is pull the battery. Does anyone have any answers? Can you point me to the instructions provided by 3dr relative to video/picture use for solo using the gimbal.....I would think that somewhere it would be explained in detail. Yes there are instructions on gimbal installation...i guess after that you figure out the rest on your own! Don't get me wrong...I love the solo, and it flies like a dream.....but please put out some guidance, a video or something that helps us figure out the options on camera use!!

I can't say anything about the gimbal yet since I don't have mine yet.. My GoPro is set up to take video and pictures simultaneously. It is set to take a picture every 30 seconds.

Does your camera not power off normally when it is not in the gimbal?

Not sure about the sd card issue.

from gopro manual:

Simultaneous Video and Photo mode, allows you to simultaneously capture both Videos and Photos. You can set the camera to take a Photo every 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 30 seconds or 60 seconds while you record Video. To set your camera to Picture In Video mode, verify that a supported Video resolution is selected and that Protune is turned OFF.
OFF
5 seconds
10 seconds
30 seconds
60 seconds NOTE: You can capture Simultaneous Video and Photo in one of the following resolution settings: 1080p24 fps, 1080p30/25 fps, 720p60/50 fps or 1440p24 fps.

I can't say anything about the gimbal yet since I don't have mine yet.. My GoPro is set up to take video and pictures simultaneously. It is set to take a picture every 30 seconds.

Does your camera not power off normally when it is not in the gimbal?

Not sure about the sd card issue.

from gopro manual:

Simultaneous Video and Photo mode, allows you to simultaneously capture both Videos and Photos. You can set the camera to take a Photo every 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 30 seconds or 60 seconds while you record Video. To set your camera to Picture In Video mode, verify that a supported Video resolution is selected and that Protune is turned OFF.
OFF
5 seconds
10 seconds
30 seconds
60 seconds NOTE: You can capture Simultaneous Video and Photo in one of the following resolution settings: 1080p24 fps, 1080p30/25 fps, 720p60/50 fps or 1440p24 fps.
Yes powers off normally when it is not in the gimbal...and worked perfect when i had it mounted with the stable mount ......although i had to turn it off and on manually..but it did record to the card like it should. I didn't think about the video/picture option..but i do like using 1080/60 but it might be worth trying in the 1080/30. Im really lost about the hanging....i tried different shutdown sequencing as well...like the solo first and then tried the camera first...nothing worked to shut it down

Yea I started using the hell out of video and pics it's about all I use until the gimbal since the pics still look great, you would think they'd provide directions on operation of the camera on the gimbal though.

Has anyone been able to take stills manually with the gimbal yet?

Oddly I don't have the gimbal but my hero 4 has froze a couple times since the last update but it's not even attached to solo when it's happened. I've actually had a couple issues with gopro and solo since the last updates. Nothing major but I've had to reset both a few times when separately solo lost connection to controller twice and I lost camera feed a time or two. Then my go pro has also had issues with my computer it says it's protected when I try to delete or format no matter how the switch is, so I have to do it in the gopro and it's not recognized half the time so I have to use the card in my card reader to load my video to my hard drive.

Yea I started using the hell out of video and pics it's about all I use until the gimbal since the pics still look great, you would think they'd provide directions on operation of the camera on the gimbal though.

Has anyone been able to take stills manually with the gimbal yet?

Oddly I don't have the gimbal but my hero 4 has froze a couple times since the last update but it's not even attached to solo when it's happened. I've actually had a couple issues with gopro and solo since the last updates. Nothing major but I've had to reset both a few times when separately solo lost connection to controller twice and I lost camera feed a time or two. Then my go pro has also had issues with my computer it says it's protected when I try to delete or format no matter how the switch is, so I have to do it in the gopro and it's not recognized half the time so I have to use the card in my card reader to load my video to my hard drive.
This is how it's suppose to work....push presets for snapshot....push tilt to stop and start recording...but we aint there yet!!

Controller | 3DR | Drone & UAV Technology

This is how it's suppose to work....push presets for snapshot....push tilt to stop and start recording...but we aint there yet!!

Controller | 3DR | Drone & UAV Technology

That's rough I thought that's what the point of our last update for solo and gopro was supposed to be, so basically it's no different than attaching a tarot gimbal to solo at this point. Guess I'll keep waiting and hope by the time mine shows or best buy gets them in that's updated yet again. So once again I'm assuming radio silence from 3dr about the picture function not being useable?

Hey at least I can be a bit less jealous that I still don't have mine yet then, glass half full.

That's rough I thought that's what the point of our last update for solo and gopro was supposed to be, so basically it's no different than attaching a tarot gimbal to solo at this point. Guess I'll keep waiting and hope by the time mine shows or best buy gets them in that's updated yet again. So once again I'm assuming radio silence from 3dr about the picture function not being useable?

Hey at least I can be a bit less jealous that I still don't have mine yet then, glass half full.
I'm not sure...but i thought with all the people flying gimbals someone would have an answer for me...i posted it on FB too...but basically "crickets" so far for an answer....but to your point at least i have a gimbal...and i can tilt the camera with the controller...who hooo!:)

Reactions: Adimuzio513
There must not be all that many, very few reviews, only a couple vids and this is the first I've even seen this function wasn't available.

Yea ya got me there I kinda walked into that one, sure hope ya figure out these issues really I do.;)

Kidding but still jealous pics or not I can't fn wait, good luck.

No no no.

If you don't have the gimbal and you hit record on the app on IOS devices it will record to the "Camera Roll" on your tablet at 720p but that's it.

To start and stop recording on the GoPro you need to do that at the GoPro unless you have the gimbal.

Keep in mind, the only connection between GoPro and Solo without the gimbal is HDMI out from the camera.

When you have the gimbal you can take snapshots from the controller by pushing a button. Before that you can set it up to take them automatically.

Or..... you can just grab any still from the video you shoot. There are numerous ways to do this depending on the tools you use.

GoPro studio has this ability built in, so it doesn't have to be expensive. In any case it is easier to just shoot video and grab the stills you want.

Last edited:
I have read the entire solo manual front to back (58 pages), searched for any videos, visited the 3dr home page etc. for what I would think is very basic information. Does the solo, with gimbal, have the ability to take a pictures(snapshots)? Not a video..a picture and can you do it without landing and flipping the camera manually from video to picture and will that even work? Also I flew three batteries today recording different things and when i pulled the card on the camera there was nothing on it! I did have "save to video roll" checked so i had the recordings saved to my ipad mini but why wouldn't they also be on the camera card? Finally my go pro "hangs" continually..meaning it won't shut off after you power everything else down...yes I held the button but the only way to shut it off is pull the battery. Does anyone have any answers? Can you point me to the instructions provided by 3dr relative to video/picture use for solo using the gimbal.....I would think that somewhere it would be explained in detail. Yes there are instructions on gimbal installation...i guess after that you figure out the rest on your own! Don't get me wrong...I love the solo, and it flies like a dream.....but please put out some guidance, a video or something that helps us figure out the options on camera use!!
OK, I just hooked it up so I could test it for you. If the GP is set for video, then pushing in on the Gimbal tilt button will start/stop recording. If the GP is set in photo mode, then the same push will take a photo. Pushing in on the 2 presets on the right does nothing at this point and is probably part of September feature release. You can also set the GP to take picts/video simultaneously if at 1080p resolution. I hope this answers your question.

It also sounds like your GP has a separate issue and you may want to reset it and be sure you are on current FW.

GP Reset..
  1. Press the Mode (front) button until you see the Setup Gear icon.
  2. Press the Shutter (top) button to select it.
  3. Press the Mode (front) button until Rest Cam is highlighted.
  4. Press the Shutter (top) button to select it.
  5. Press the Mode (front) button to highlight Reset.

Fly Safe..
Jubal

Last edited:
Reactions: thetac
OK, I just hooked it up for you to test. If the GP is set for video, then pushing in on the Gimbal tilt button will start/stop recording. If the GP is set in photo mode, then the same push will take a photo. Pushing in on the 2 presets on the right does nothing at this point and is probably part of September feature release. You can also set the GP to take picts/video simultaneously if at 1080p resolution. I hope this answers your question.

It also sounds like your GP has a separate issue and you may want to reset it and be sure you are on current FW.

GP Reset..
  1. Press the Mode (front) button until you see the Setup Gear icon.
  2. Press the Shutter (top) button to select it.
  3. Press the Mode (front) button until Rest Cam is highlighted.
  4. Press the Shutter (top) button to select it.
  5. Press the Mode (front) button to highlight Reset.

Fly Safe..
Jubal
Thanks for that info Jubal.

I had similar problems with my GP H4 after the the v3 update. GP would freeze up after shooting one or two clips, didn't really seem to matter if it was connected to solo. I tried to manually update 3 times with GP support and the problem never went away. I ended up just swapping out the camera at BB for another. I updated the new camera right out of the box and its been fine ever since.

I had a Hero4 Black that would consistently lock up. Returned it, but switched to a Hero4 Silver ( like the LCD on the back ), and it's been much better. Still locks up every now and then but it's rare

Excellent info here guys. Here is my contribution. Skip to 2:20 in the video.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hay I want that sim software to use with my flight controller to practice on rainy days, How can I get that? and how much is that gonna cost me?

Hay I want that sim software to use with my flight controller to practice on rainy days, How can I get that? and how much is that gonna cost me?
It's free with solo eventually but I think last I heard it will be available in November at this point in time, if nothing changes. It's not too bad, I tried it briefly at Best Buy but that being my first quad sim can't say how it compares to others but it was cool to be able to use the solo controller Instead of useless on screen sticks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44